Hide
18 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Help teaching a dyslexic gamer. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
geof jenkins
msg tools
I'm trying to get my girlfriend into Attack Wing, but she is having trouble with making turns due to her pretty severe dyslexia(she often turns the wrong way). I always let her take the moves back but she still gets frustrated. Anyone have experience with this? We could really use some tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got no experience, but would letting her check templates while you look away help? Or maybe get two sets and color them (and the dials) for left and right? If it would help I'd send you an extra set of cardboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geof jenkins
msg tools
I like the idea of letting her check the move in advance. Great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often make the same mistake if the ship is facing at all towards me. To help avoid it I always hold the dial so the its window is lined up with the front of the ship and then make sure the arrow in the window points in the direction I want to turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geof jenkins
msg tools
I've tried that and it helps a little but she still gets them confused pretty often. Thanks for the tip though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps replace the dials with a small deck of cards with the various moves, wings of war style? That way you could have text, colors and symbols to see if that helps at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I got mixed up sometimes when I first started playing and found it helpful to orient the window on the dial physically with the front of the ship with them both in my field of view and turn it to the desired maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Ray

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
Test
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but in true naval/aviation fashion, it's sometimes helpful to refer to left and right as port and starboard. Left and right are ambiguous terms in naval based combat. Port and Starboard are always referred to as if you're facing the rear of the ship.

I was making a few move errors until I started thinking like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Possibly try using a notepad. Have her mark the maneuver on the notepad the same orientation as the ship is. This takes it from her reading the dials to writing. That may make it easier.

So if her ship is facing southwest and she wants to turn 90 degrees left (tofacesoutheast), have her draw that and write the number. She can coverthe pad up until she reveals the maneuverever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest method I have found is to have them hold the dial in their hand with the V cutout window facing the same direction as the ship. Then you can turn the bottom part of the dial until the correct arrow shows for the maneuver that you want to make. It was easy enough for my kids to pick up how to play by doing it that way. Give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotating the dial to match the ship should be helpful to most, but there will be exceptions. I was walking somewhere and was asked for directions by some couple in a car. They had a map, but still couldn't find what they were looking for. Because they were facing south, I took the map & rotated it for them, but they turned it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
You're focusing on the wrong thing. She's not turning the wrong way because she's laying the template down backward, she's picking the wrong direction on the dial. So just paint the left turn and bank maneuvers on every dial something noticeable and neutral, like blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it is trouble with reading the symbols, rotating to get a closer match may still help. I don't know exactly how dyslexia works, but doesn't being able to compare side by side help identify similarities in symbols? Rotating it for some might be easy, but for someone who needs to compare, rotation may make a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am dyslexic myself and i have found orientating the dial to the ship to be help though my case is considered mild not sure what i can suggest, perhaps starboard moves to be blue, port yellow, forward's white and backward's red? i respond better to colors and symbols (mainly how i write can be considered a hieroglyphic forum of writing) so perhaps consider creating and new set of symbols for one side of the movement, that might lessen the burden of the symbols repeating by having them be completely different, prehps look into how other cultures symbolism left and right? most of this will be trial and error so i suggest you ask her to write the moves on a note pad using a card for reference also the movement tracks would have to be modified in someway to help again use the same symbols just add them to the side they refer to. Dyslexia is a complex and no started learning difficulty so everything will have to trail and error. don't give up or be dishareted if she is willing to try believe me she can be more frstreted than she is letting on.I hope my answer has helped if only a little. I would also suggest verbal talking though everything. The more connections to certain move the better to reinforce the move itself. sounds childish but i find i mumble my moves to myself when i take then. such as "damn! The defiant banking to port 2 has put her in line with the de'deridex"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do opt for coloring the arrows, don't paint them as was suggested. That is labor-tedious, and might result in un-smooth dialing. Instead, just use a highlighter marker over the white symbol. It works quite well. I marked my templates by coloring the symbols with yellow highlighter, and almost every opponent has commented how much it stands out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be another option depending on how well she does with the maneuver cards. If she is does well with the card for determining which option she wants, then perhaps a few washers could be of use. Get something to block your view of her cards, and have her place washers with the maneuver she intends to use showing through the washer. That will be quite a bit easier than color coding left & right, and less confusing given the existing color scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you had a chance to try any of this stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have trouble with Dyspraxia and my spatial awareness, and I found that I kept flying off the board. The strategy that helps me to win has already been mentioned - just rotating the dial in my hand to face the same direction as my ship. It helps a lot. I went from not being able to stay on the board in OP1 and 2, to winning 2 of my matches in OP6 this past weekend.

I still make mistakes (a common one is allocating the wrong move on the wrong dial), but I think the best of us make mistakes.

So yeah, with patient practice most problems can be overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.