Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See if my logic makes any sense:

An attack is declared from a against an approach into a locale with a single enemy piece. The only possible piece that can make the threat is a 1 step cavalry in reserve. The single enemy piece in the defense locale is a 1 step infantry in reserve.

If an attack is declared (i.e. the threat is not named a feint), and the only named defending unit is a 1 step unit, then that unit cannot be a leading unit. But it can be named as a defending unit.

If the attack in not declared a feint, then leading pieces have to be declared. In this case there will be no defense leading unit.

The attacker will then make his attack declaration, and also have to declare no leading pieces. A named defending unit (the only one in the locale) will then take the approach, the attacker will issue the attack command, but no unit will take losses.

Even so, are all of the steps above correct (i.e. there's no prohibition against naming an attack and having no leading units take part, even though that could be bad for the attacker; and also even though the only available defender is a single step, it's not obligatory to retreat)?

Am I getting that right? I know such an event is unlikely, but I want to know if I've got that right in case I have to decide what to do with a single step unit in reserve that might be "attacked" by a unit that I know is actually a single step unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you are right. Also, in this situation, the French win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nappeto wrote:
Yes you are right. Also, in this situation, the French win.

Oh, wow, thanks for reminding me of that! So the Allies, if they are the defender in this scenario, do have to retreat? That is important...

And even though the French win, since there are no step losses (assuming no retreat) there is no morale loss for the Allies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Oh, wow, thanks for reminding me of that! So the Allies, if they are the defender in this scenario, do have to retreat?

Yes--when it comes time to figure out who won, both sides are tied at zero, so you look at who had more units in the fight, and they're tied at one, so you look at who's French... so the Allies have to retreat in this case, and that infantry is eliminated. WRONG see joekong_hk's link below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's another thread about this somewhere, too; a somewhat detailed strategy thread involving one step units on attack. If I recall correctly.

But yes, to agree with the answer, all steps are correct, and french win. More to the point, if the defense leads with no units and one defensive unit, and the allies actually have multiple units that *can* attack...they can choose the one strength cavalry to conserve their stronger unit(s) to attack elsewhere the same turn.

And similarly, the defender *could* have multiple units able to defend but choose the one that cannot lead, if they are fairly sure that the attacker has no units that can lead attacks there, again, to conserve a stronger defender for a potential other attack that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

kuhrusty wrote:
fatgreta wrote:
Oh, wow, thanks for reminding me of that! So the Allies, if they are the defender in this scenario, do have to retreat?

Yes--when it comes time to figure out who won, both sides are tied at zero, so you look at who had more units in the fight, and they're tied at one, so you look at who's French... so the Allies have to retreat in this case, and that infantry is eliminated.

The infantry, as a named defender, is not eliminated just because it has to retreat.

Final result: 0 vs 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silvergoose wrote:
I know there's another thread about this somewhere, too; a somewhat detailed strategy thread involving one step units on attack. If I recall correctly.

But yes, to agree with the answer, all steps are correct, and french win. More to the point, if the defense leads with no units and one defensive unit, and the allies actually have multiple units that *can* attack...they can choose the one strength cavalry to conserve their stronger unit(s) to attack elsewhere the same turn.

And similarly, the defender *could* have multiple units able to defend but choose the one that cannot lead, if they are fairly sure that the attacker has no units that can lead attacks there, again, to conserve a stronger defender for a potential other attack that turn.

I believe that this post is the one you're referring to. The pictures are missing, but it's still informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

kuhrusty wrote:
fatgreta wrote:

Yes--when it comes time to figure out who won, both sides are tied at zero, so you look at who had more units in the fight, and they're tied at one, so you look at who's French... so the Allies have to retreat in this case, and that infantry is eliminated.

The infantry, as a named defender, is not eliminated just because it has to retreat.

Final result: 0 vs 0

Good point. Very easy to forget...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fatgreta wrote:
I believe that this post is the one you're referring to. The pictures are missing, but it's still informative.

You can find a play-by-play video version of that post here: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/26685/napoleons-triumph/video...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.