Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: My Solution to Spare IDs - Abacus Trackers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the ideas presented by http://www.gatheringmagic.com/altered-reality---3d-life-coun... for Magic: The Gathering abacus trackers, I decided to use a few of my spare copes of IDs in a creative way.

First up, the Whizzard trash abacus:

A simple trim and 3 bead pin makes for a nice trash credit tracker. I used a stack of MTG commons to give it depth, and a spare Whizzard on the back for flavor text and runner card back. These are definitely optional choices.

My second attempt was a bit more involved, Andromeda with click tracker on the left and credit pool abacus on the bottom:

Andy ended up being a bit easier, actually. I used a piece of foam core for the depth instead of trimming a dozen cards. The pins easily puncture the foam core and are then trimmed to size. The side tracker is for clicks. The bottom is for credits - blue for $5, silver for $1.

I am taking a break for now, but I may come back and finish up the other IDs as able. Another project idea would be trimming up a few IDs to make a 3D effect like some do with Magic cards - I am thinking a 3D TWIY* with credit and click trackers would be swell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea... You've got 3 copies of the ID, so you could have the backing be the extra two copies front-to-back, so that you have an unaltered version of the character showing on the other side (e.g. in case your opponent is unfamiliar with the ID).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Here's an idea... You've got 3 copies of the ID, so you could have the backing be the extra two copies front-to-back, so that you have an unaltered version of the character showing on the other side (e.g. in case your opponent is unfamiliar with the ID).

That's also a great idea. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nice idea, I'd just go with the click tracker personally, looks a bit fiddly for credits.

Might give this a go on some of mine in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Explosive6 wrote:
Nice idea, I'd just go with the click tracker personally, looks a bit fiddly for credits.

Might give this a go on some of mine in the future.

I will test the Andy $$$ before I try it elsewhere as I also suspect that the credit tracker will be fiddly. I like my Minion metal coins too much anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Whizzard one is pretty nifty...Andromeda is alright, but the credit thing having multiple bead strings on multiple axes seems a bit overly complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
The Whizzard one is pretty nifty...Andromeda is alright, but the credit thing having multiple bead strings on multiple axes seems a bit overly complicated.

Uh... That style of keeping track of things predates written numerals by centuries.

If a bunch of prehistoric goat herders can figure it out, hopefully a couple of people playing Netrunner won't have too much trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
Another project idea would be trimming up a few IDs to make a 3D effect like some do with Magic cards.

I'm working on a 3D Kit right now. Front and back combined will be 33 layers. I think most IDs at their most complicated would only need to be about 15, but the art on Kit has a lot of depth. I'll post a pic when I finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:

Uh... That style of keeping track of things predates written numerals by centuries.

If a bunch of prehistoric goat herders can figure it out, hopefully a couple of people playing Netrunner won't have too much trouble.

I know what an abacus is. But as you said, it still requires your opponent to "figure it out" when using tokens or dice is far more straightforward.

One thing I missed in the OP is that the side one is used for click tracking. Makes more sense, though I might have used different-colored beads instead of using the same as the 5-credit ones. When I said "multiple axes" it was because I read that the 5-credit ones were blue, and thought both of those strings were somehow used for credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Asmor wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:

I know what an abacus is. But as you said, it still requires your opponent to "figure it out" when using tokens or dice is far more straightforward.

One thing I missed in the OP is that the side one is used for click tracking. Makes more sense, though I might have used different-colored beads instead of using the same as the 5-credit ones. When I said "multiple axes" it was because I read that the 5-credit ones were blue, and thought both of those strings were somehow used for credits.

I updated the main post to clarify the click tracker / credit difference. I didn't feel like buying additional beads, so I had to use the same colors for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I could see how that might be confusing if you thought the one on the side was for credits as well. When you said multiple axes, I thought you were just referring to the two rows of beads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Those are phenomenal, and having a ton of Foam core board around, I am totally hitting up the store tomorrow for something similar. Not sure if Ill use the rod/bead idea, but whatever it is thank you for making something TOTALLY COOL that i can play round with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Trew
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I may just have to favourite this thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These are stunning; however I agree that the abacus credits could be difficult for your opponent to read at-a-glance.

That said, I also dislike seeing dice across the table instead of tokens, so I'm sure I could learn to live with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaaaaaand this is super cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a bit with the abacus, I am happy to report that it works well! I find it easy to read the credit pool, and it only takes one hand generally to adjust it. My major complaint with the foam core is the reduced weight, which should be easily fixed. I will have to acquire a few more beads to provide better contrast for new IDs however...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
a bit off-topic, but I've always wondered why FFG didn't opt for the digits tracker used for games such as LOTR, SW, and Infiltration. Seems like it would be perfect for credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
a bit off-topic, but I've always wondered why FFG didn't opt for the digits tracker used for games such as LOTR, SW, and Infiltration. Seems like it would be perfect for credits.

I think the dual purpose of the tokens as advancement counters and credits is likely why they didn't use a dial.

However, I actually considered using dials for credits rather than the abacus approach for these cards. I opted for the more lazy approach based on my materials at hand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.