Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fichtner
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a scoring question regarding what happens when Theodosia turns out to be a conspirator after trial.

I tried Burr for treason (detach Western U.S.) and successfully maxed out the verdict track (Death, +30 VP), but it turned out Burr was innocent because Theo was among the conspirators. My first assumption was that all my court prowess was for naught and the verdict track is entirely negated and I end the game with a flat (or rather quite depressed) -40 score. Is that correct? Or did I actually convict Burr on false evidence with a reduction on the verdict track for a charge mismatch (resulting in +20 VP, -40 VP, +3 VP for each arrested conspirator; still a major defeat, but somewhat less stinging)?

Really, I'm most interested in what mischief I have caused historically. Have my extra-legal tactics brought Jefferson and Marshall together in the dubious common cause of a blatantly false conviction of Burr, who is now sitting in prison and authoring scathing pamphlets about the tyrant Jefferson? If so, will Jefferson weakly reply that Theo's inclusion was just another of Burr's smokescreens?

Either way, I'm loving the game, and now every other game will forever somehow be incomplete for its lack of a Theodosia Burr card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David--My reading of the rules would say that you DO score the points for the successful trial...and then subtract the -40 VPs for being wrong about the conspiracy.

This would simulate that the judge and jury (and by implication the US population, or at least most of them) were convinced, giving your administration that temporary political benefits of beating your rival.

However, historians later discovered that the charge was fallacious, and they deprecate your actions. So, for the duration of your presidency, you won. But perhaps within your own lifetime, history goes against you, vilifying you as just another tyrant!

Even worse would have been if you had failed to achieve a conviction! Then, you would have been shown to be tyrannical during your presidency, and Burr would have survived as a popular hero.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fichtner
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Robert. That seemed more correct with a little reflection, and I'm glad to have you confirm it. I really like all the outcomes the game can have without losing its historical grounding. Since the subject is still (or more) murky today, this kind of what-if? treatment is perfect. Jeffersonians and Burrites both can appreciate all the possible variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.