Subject: Destabilization check - Rules vs. Official FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Raagaard
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the rules and the official FAQ state that when doing a Destabilization check you roll every die from every column with a blast at the bottom. These are referred to as the circuit dice.

The rules state that

Quote:
Roll the circuit dice until either the Bomb explodes or the circuits have been passed, checking the following after each roll:

- If at least one 'X' is rolled and no blast, the circuits have been passed.

- If at least one blast is rolled, the Bomb explodes"

The way I read this is that you roll all the circuit dice together and keep rerolling until you EITHER get at least one 'X' with no blasts OR you get at least one blast.

The official FAQ on the other hand states that

Quote:
The active player now needs to roll all the open circuit dice one by one until either a Blast or X symbol result is rolled to end the destabilization process.

A roll of X will successfully end the destabilization process, while a roll of a blast will trigger an imidiate explosion.

If all open circuit dice are rolled without one of these results the bomb does not explode...success.

So far we have been playing it by the rules as written but I wonder if the FAQ should be considered errata. The method in the FAQ obviously makes it easier to pass the check since each die at most will only be rolled once and since rolling an 'X' prevents the remaining dice from being rolled (snd possibly showing a blast).

If the FAQ is the correct way, then I assume that the player gets to choose in which order the dice are rolled. That way you can at least leave the red dice for last since they have two blasts each.

Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ is correct. I was originally playing it as written or as I read it, the same way you were. Having now played it with the clarifications in the FAQ, it's MUCH better imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Raagaard
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
The FAQ is correct. I was originally playing it as written or as I read it, the same way you were. Having now played it with the clarifications in the FAQ, it's MUCH better imo.

Sounds good. We'll try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ is indeed correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.