Subject: A number of rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
1.a. Is it correct that I can reveal an invalid 5-card shield on my turn after completing other actions for the sake of finding out for myself what those five cards are?

1.b. May I reveal an invalid 5-card shield in response to my opponent's strike?

1.c. If I have revealed an invalid shield in response to my opponent's strike, and then my opponent plays an additional strike, may I reveal another shield (valid or otherwise)?

1.d. May I reveal a shield (valid or otherwise) in response to an opponent's strike even if the shield I reveal is not in a column that would defend the strike?

2.a. Is it correct that a valid shield cannot have cards in between the matching cards? For example, with a row that has star, star, square, star, circle, I would not be able to reveal the three stars to have a shield because the cards are not adjacent.

2.b. Is it correct that a valid strike does not need to have the cards adjacent? For example, with a column that has star, star, square, star, may I reveal the three stars to have a strike even though there is an unrevealed card in between them?

3. Is it correct that an invalid set is a set of revealed cards that features any cards that do not match? For example, if I reveal a column that contains star, star, star, square, circle, I would not count it as a valid star shield.

4. When revealing a set, do I need to declare which cards I am flipping before I begin flipping them - for example, if my intention is to flip a five-card shield just to find out what cards are in that row and I find the first three cards I flip match, should I follow through with flipping all of them or just stop and keep the shield?

5.a. With a square strike, the opponent discards his hand; is it correct, then, that the opponent will not draw new cards until the draw phase at the end of that player's next turn?

5.b. With no cards in hand, that player would not be allowed to perform Action 3 (discard a card in your mind-field and replace it with a card from your hand), correct?

5.c. How do I resolve a wave strike if my opponent was hit by a square strike earlier in the turn? A wave strike calls for a five-card row and one other card from the opponent's mind-field to be taken off, mixed with the cards in the opponent's hand, and the six cards from the field replaced with those cards at random. My expectation is that the end result is the six cards removed are shuffled and randomly redistributed.

6. Is it correct that, with resolving a wave strike in normal circumstances, the opponent takes the remaining cards back into hand? The rules don't really specify what happens after shuffling the six cards from the field with the hand and redistributing six cards to the field at random.

7. I'd like to confirm that the circle strike has the player actually look through the opponent's discard pile, which is usually face-down.

8. Cross shield - what happens if I do not have enough cards in my hand to replace the whole shield? Will I be able to replace a portion of the shield with cards from my hand and the rest with random cards?

9.a. Is it correct that a revealed shield can no longer be used in other combinations, cannot be added to, and that the cards cannot be moved, until the shield is struck and discarded? This isn't particularly clear from the rules but I am pretty sure it must be true.

9.b. If the above is not correct, then what happens if pieces of the shield are moved?

Thanks for reading. I am pretty sure I can play through the game just fine without needing answers to these corner-case questions and feel I have come up with the most intuitive answers already, but there is a bit of room for interpretation given the version of the rules I have available so I would appreciate feedback.

I love the look and feel of this game and should have the chance to play it for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
1.a. Yes

1.b. Yes

1.c. Yes

1.d. No, the shield must correspond with the strike in at least one column.

2.a. That is correct.

2.b. That is correct.

3. That is correct.

4. As you reveal cards in a potential set you may stop at any time. So, in your shield example, yes you could stop on the valid shield or continue.

5.a. This is correct.

5.b. Correct.

5.c. The opponent doesn't include the hand cards in the set of card which are shuffled together. These cards are set aside for the duration of the action and are picked back up after.

6. The intention is that the hand is set aside and returned after the shuffling and redistribution takes place.

7. The player can choose the card but may not look at it.

8. This is the correct interpretation, yes.

9.a. That is correct yes.

Thanks so much for playing and please let me know if you have more questions. Sorry for the delay in response to this post.

-Andrew J Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the thorough reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
New question after playing my first game: if your turn ends from revealing an invalid set, do you still draw up to five cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Haze01 wrote:
New question after playing my first game: if your turn ends from revealing an invalid set, do you still draw up to five cards?

Yes, players draw until they have 5 cards in hand at the end of their turn, even after revealing an invalid set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.