George Mantziaris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Shadow Walker's Soul Bound card reads:

Use this card when you perform an attack that is not a miss. Place a Shadow Soul in any space adjacent to the target.

Only 1 Shadow Soul can be on the map at any time.

My question is whether the first attack that places the Shadow Soul on the map also benefits from the Shadow Soul, i.e. does the attack also gain 1 extra damage?

I suppose that since the "Deal Dmage" is the last step in resolving combat, the attack gains the extra 1 damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpreted it that it doesn't affect the attack in which it is placed. Not 100% sure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd say it certainly does, quite similarly to the Beastmaster skill that can move the wolf adjacent as you perform an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra damage applies because the Shadow Soul is placed when an attack is not a miss, which is determined before the deal damage step; damage is suffered during the deal damage step; and the Shadow Soul's wound is applied when damage is suffered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd disagree, focusing on the word "perform". I would argue that it can only be placed after the attack is resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Moogle wrote:
I'd disagree, focusing on the word "perform". I would argue that it can only be placed after the attack is resolved.

I'm almost certain they use different specific wording for that. It might even be "resolve," but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyway, stuff that happens when you "perform" an attack tends to happen before attack resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played I did resolution then summon shadow soul. But in retrospect, I think it's fine

Vaguely off the top of my head, attack steps are

Declare (perform attack)
Attacker roll dice
Defender roll dice
Check miss/range
Attacker Surges
Defender Surges
Combat resolution (damage)

I'd put shadow soul somewhere around check range/miss...but who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely if the Shadow Soul was only placed after the attack was resolved, there'd be an 'after' on the card somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that you put it out after determining if the attack is not a miss. So no X and sufficient range, put the Shadow Soul out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you all are right. Man, and I thought the Shadow Soul was overpowered already...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.