Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
114 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Police Precinct: Custom Dice» Forums » General

Subject: Want to have input on... Perfecting the Design of the Custom Dice!?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If so...

You have come to the right place!!!

The process is beginning, see below...

PS - Go here to understand better what these dice are all about...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1166068/the-scoop-on-the-cus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the initial design for this die...

Common Man Games, and...

John W of Custom Game Lab, the maker of this die would love to get feedback, so...

Tell us what you like and or dislike about the design and we will refine it as we go.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!!

PS - The above image is VERY oversized (obviously), but here it is quite UNDERSIZED. If you sort-of split the difference, maybe you have the idea to scale...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the opportunity for input.

As mentioned, I think bullet pips would look pretty tough on the dice. I like the shield and bad guy enough.

Not sure what opportunity there is for colors, but I would be partial to blue body, black bad guy, silver shield, and copper bullets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kelly!

Very clear guidance.

I know John likes that.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

The doughnuts look like broken records to me. Maybe sprinkles would help? I like the idea of bullets or maybe handcuffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Or bullet holes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

The doughnuts look like broken records to me. Maybe sprinkles would help? I like the idea of bullets or maybe handcuffs.

I thought there were records too. Then I realized that didn't makes sense and figured they were donuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullet pips is a good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

great input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
steckman wrote:
Bullet pips is a good idea!

I kinda thought they were bitten donuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
Canada
flag msg tools
The bullet holes is a great idea. The donut themes dice is a little much and detracts from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on the donuts - not crazy about them. Bullets or bullet holes plus colors would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I thought of when I saw the "donuts"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The neat thing about bullet holes is they don't need to be spaced in a normal dice pattern. You could have a five like this for instance:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

The neat thing about bullet holes is they don't need to be spaced in a normal dice pattern.

Good Point!

Fun idea!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

The neat thing about bullet holes is they don't need to be spaced in a normal dice pattern.

The problem with things which aren't spaced in a normal dice pattern is that it dramatically increases the time taken for your brain to process the number. It looks cooler, but if you have to spend an extra fifteen seconds every time you roll dice it's going to add up and frustrate people. When you roll a five and read it as a five, you're not counting the dots. Maybe you did when you were three, but by now it's just an automatic "that diagonal-cross shape is a five" match.

(The human brain is phenomenally good at pattern-matching, but much slower at recognising patterns it's not seen so much before. Which is why we can read letters written in a variety of different typefaces equally easily - because they all conform to the same basic letter-form pattern - but have trouble with overly-ornate or abstract typefaces, because the brain can't fit them into its usual "this is what an A looks like" pattern.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little confused by the police badge being a 6, because that particular design of it with the dark circle in the middle made me think it was a 1.

Other than that, I read those doughnut pips like bullet holes until someone said otherwise. Bullet holes on the die, though, give a pretty strong, perhaps unintentional impression of violent force being used to fight crime. It would feel weird to roll bullet holes to go resolve a traffic incident surprise

Personally, I feel like this theme is one of the few instances where a numeral on the die, rather than pips, is slightly more theme-appropriate. Maybe it's just because of how a fair amount of things to do with the police have to do with numerals, such as using numbers to dial the police, or the police using 3-digit codes over the radio to report things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karkador wrote:
Bullet holes on the die, though, give a pretty strong, perhaps unintentional impression of violent force being used to fight crime.

Yes, the doughnut pips makes me think of fat policemen. The bullet pips makes me think of trigger happy policemen...

I personally bought the old design when the project was offered here on the geek.
I am perfectly happy with those dice.
Standard pips, in standard pattern, makes it easy to see at a glance how well you have rolled. Having only one side with a special symbol (the badge) also makes recognition easier.
But I am a less-is-more type of person. I really love special dice, but usually pass if they have too much decoration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good input guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Police Precinct: Custom Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, the custom dice campaign is almost over. Is there a final design yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

We are going to try to get this conversation rolling again (now).

This will involve John, but even more so The infamous dice designer "Jazzy Brown Bear".

I have been talking to him lately and it looks like he is going to do some work to the Police Precinct die design.

Our hope is to have a similar process as was had for the SNITCH die!

Jazzy worked on that design and did a great job!

So...

Stay tuned, because this should commence right here in this thread soon, and thanks in advance to all who participate in this discussion!!!

I've added Jazzy to the credits for Police Precinct...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14040234#14040234

Thanks, you big fuzzy Brown Bear you!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Late here. I have 2 designs to upload Monday I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jazzy!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments below please read!
Version 1

Version 2

Version 1 Notes: I had just looked at the big map and decided Ole's frosted doughnuts with sprinkles would be better, so I tried them as pips. The badge needed some rework and I tried to make it bigger.

However at size, the badge will unreadable/unprintable. The sprinkles will disappear as well so on to version 2.

Version 2 Notes: Went with 1 Ole doughnut and the number of sprinkles is the number for 2, 3, 4, 5. I can add an actual number in the hole or corner if we want.

The badge is closer to a real badge with Police and the City visible. I actually want to delete the bottom banner and re-add the word Precinct there instead. It will help with promotion and branding.

So considering my notes above, please comment and I will work at taking the suggestions that will work the best.

Jazzy B-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.