Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Elements» Forums » Rules

Subject: When you play a card to the field, do you fully cover the previous ones? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that you announce the total when you play the card, and that, according to Zimeon´s rules, you play cards to the field on top of any previous ones.

It seems then that you would fully cover the other cards, but wanted to ask because this rule makes quite some difference.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you lay them in a fan-type fashion, so that you can see both the sum of the values, and the order of the stack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shields
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Anthony. Although a strict reading of Simon's rules suggests otherwise, we leave them viewable as well. But I'd say this is as much a philosophical difference in what you want the game to be about. There's plenty going on in Khmer without needing to card count, or remember those cards stacked beneath the top.

This prevents reading the game to be a test of memory or card counting. And this is why laying aside four cards helps the design sing.

So this strikes me as a players decision, while I encourage you to fan them out too, if it feels right to stack them you are certainly supported by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both. I appreciate the replies but I would be very happy to learn the intent of the designer. The nature of the game is, in my opinion, such, that houseruling or doing variation can only harm the beauty and elegance of the design.

Still, thank you for sharing your thoughts. If anyone can definitely let me know the answer, I would really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.