Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Among the Stars» Forums » General

Subject: (Draft) Guide: Tuckbox arrangement, FFG/premium or standard sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a draft. I believe all my numbers here work.

This assumes premium sleeves. I actually use FFG sleeves at 100 microns, so I have left additional room beyond what Artipia has suggested for their (Mayday) 90mm sleeves. I used an estimate of 25 (type 1) and 50 (type 2), which is almost certainly lower than what will actually fit.

Update: a standard sleeve guide is a few posts down. Scroll yourself; I'm too lazy to link.

This also assumes you are pledging at the $100 level or otherwise have everything to date, and includes all stretch rewards through $120k.

1A) Basic Blue: 9 types / 36 cards: 1 type 2 box
1B) Basics in 4 other colors: 6 types / 24 cards each. 4 type 1 boxes.*
2) Special locations: 142 cards: 3 type 2 boxes (some room to grow)
3) Ambassadors/Bureaus: 94 cards (98 with Wiss): 2 type 2 boxes
4) Conflict cards: 48 cards: 1 type 2 box
5A) Objectives: 21 cards: 1 type 1 box**
5B) Main reactors, normal reactors, Race-specific reactors, Player aids, Experimental reactors: 33 cards: 1 type 2 box**
6) Alliance inspection, events: 24 cards: 1 type 1 box***

* footnotes will make more sense after the rationale.

Rationale:
Set 1A and 1B are the basic cards. Once you have Ambassadors, you have more basic cards than are used in every game. The rules tell you to randomly select 3 basic cards per "type" (i.e., color) and use the set of those cards; either 3 of each card for a 3-player, or 4 with more players. The easiest way to do this is to keep the cards separated by color, and further separated within the box: put all the 3s of each card together, and then at the back of the box, put all the 4s (if you're very detail-oriented, you may want to keep the 3s in alphabetical order, but that's optional ). Now when you want to setup, you grab those 4s, shuffle them up, and pick 3. Those are the cards you need for that type, so you go grab the 3s (if you need the 4s too, add the ones you just picked randomly). Repeat for each color. Since the base game included twice as many blue cards as others, it needs a type 2, but the rest fit in a type 1 each.

Set 2 is just the specials. The only tricky part is that you need to keep 5 cards, the halves of the large locations, separate. Use some sort of divider or even move those to a different box, to be sure you don't shuffle them in.

Set 3 is the ambassadors & bureaus. There are too many ambassadors to fit in a single type 2, but the bureaus only take up about half of one, and since these are always used together, I would just keep them in a set of type 2 boxes. If you really need to keep things separate, a type 2 and 2 type 1s will work for now.

Set 4 is just the conflict cards. There are 48, almost a full type 2. Easy.

Set 5A is objectives and set 5B is main reactors / power reactors / player aids. These are all things you need to pull out during game setup. The experimental reactors push this group a little over 50 cards (53 assuming 10 total experimental reactors). To leave better room to grow, I recommend a T1 and T2 here, instead of trying to juggle things into a single T2, but see ** if you want to try.

Set 6 is the Alliance Inspection and Events decks. Fits into a type 1 without much room to spare for future events, etc. See ***.

Variants:
*You can fit 2 colors of basic locations in a single T2 box. This save a little money/room. This variant is -4 T1 +2 T2 (-$1.60)

**As noted, set 5 when merged is 53 cards (assumes 10 experimental reactors!). I recommended a T1 and T2, but you can get away with just a T2 by not sleeving your player aids, or moving them somewhere else. It would be tight, and you would have almost no room to add anything to this box, but if you're prepared to order more boxes (e.g. during the next expansion campaign), that's not a bad option. This variant is -1 T1 (-$1.00)

***If you prefer more room to grow, a type 2 is a reasonable alternative for set 6. But you could always just plan to order more later. Using a T2 instead of a T1 is -1 T1 +1 T2 (+$0.20)

Total (aka tl;dr)
I present my recommended arrangement that follows what I outlined above. If you want to use either the * or ** variant (or both), adjust your totals as indicated.

6 Type 1
8 Type 2
---: Buy a set, 4 type 1s, and 6 type 2s.
$6 + $4 + $7.2 = $17.20 extra

The 2s and 3s form a bottom layer, then put your board(s) and rules on top (if the big promo scoreboard doesn't fit on top of the 2s, since the 3s stick up, put it on bottom then put all boxes on top of it). Put T1s on top of T2s. Long-term, you can safely fit 2 more T1s with no lid bump, or a whole extra layer of 8 (+those 2 that fit safely) with a ~0.5-0.8cm lid sticking up depending on boards/rules/etc. (you can also replace all T1s with T2s safely, obviously. It is easy to fit 16 2s and 2 3's into the box. Tetris players may eventually find a better solution, but this much is easy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (Draft) Guide: Tuckbox arrangement, premium sleeves
Will this all fit in the basegame box?
How about standard sleeves?^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Galson
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You can fit 8 of either tuckbox as a bottom layer (with the extra space taken up by a type 3). For the second layer what fits depends on what you used for the first layer. The actual box is 7cm deep and the tuckboxes are 2cm for type 1 and 3.3cm for type 2. So you can fit: (a) two layers of type 2, (b) three layers of type 1, (c) a layer of type 2 and a layer of type 1, or (d) some combination of the the two types as long as any one spot doesn't go over the 7cm height restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So 8 T2 and 1 T3 on bottom, then put your board/rules/etc since the top layer won't be full or even to support everything, then everything else on top, should fit easily.

Well, maybe.

A T3 is 4.1 cm on its shortest side. that means you can't put another t2 on top of it unless you're willing to accept the box lid sticking up by a bit. Or thinking in reverse, you can't put a T3 on top of your bottom layer of T2s. So if you're taking a set, the two T3s need to go on bottom.

A quick experiment based on these dimensions says you can fit the 2 3's on the bottom in one "column", then have two more columns of 1s or 2s. that leaves you enough room to easily handle up to 8 more 1s or 2s (plus boards/rules).

Long-term, there may be better solutions, but I'm not good enough at mentally juggling 3 different sizes of boxes, flipping them around to lay on different sides, etc. Maybe a better solution has the type 3 box rotated so the 6.1 cm side is vertical. Who knows? This much will easily fit.

--------

Standard sleeves... eh, there are other posts around here somewhere, so I'm going to do this really quickly, the explanation will largely be the same.

1A) Basic Blue: 9 types / 36 cards: 1 type 1 box
1B) Basics in 4 other colors: 6 types / 24 cards each. 4 type 1 boxes.*
2) Special locations: 142 cards: 2 type 2 boxes (some room to grow)
3) Ambassadors/Bureaus: 94 cards (98 with Wiss): 1 type 2 box for Amb, 1 type 1 box for B
4) Conflict cards: 48 cards: 1 type 2 box**
5) Objectives, Main reactors, normal reactors, Race-specific reactors, Player aids, Experimental Reactors: 54 cards: 1 type 2 box***
6) Alliance inspection, events: 24 cards: 1 type 1 box**

*You could put 2 colors into 1 type 2 box (it might even fit very tightly into a single type 1 box, but I wouldn't recommend it). I don't see a big advantage to doing this other than to save like $2. This variant is -4 T1 +2 T2
**The conflict cards box has a lot of empty room. You could put the cards from 6 into here if you wanted to drop another box. They have nothing to do with each other though, and we'll probably see more types of conflict and events in the future, so giving them room to grow seems decent. If you combine, this variant is -1 T1
***Assumes 10 experimental reactors. There's a lot going on in this box, and using 2 type 1s instead might help with organization, e.g., objectives and main reactors & player aids & race-main-reactors (things dealt out at the start of game) in one box, then power reactors & experimental reactors in the other. If you split, this variant is -1 T2 +2 T1

Total for STANDARD SLEEVES (adjust based on your selected variants):
7/5
Buy a set, 5 type 1s and 3 type 2s: $6 + $5 + $3.6 = $14.60 extra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated my draft. Based on the experimental reactors, I made some changes. I now recommend for premium sleeves

6 type 1
8 type 2
2 type 3

Full details in OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some back of the envelope math says you might only get 49 FFG sleeves to a type 2 box. This doesn't change anything, I did estimate based on 50, but no box is filled to that capacity except when part of a set that has more room (special cards, ambassadors).

Another possible arrangement pattern for ambassadors and bureaus is to put all the "I" ambassadors (presumably half, so 32 or 34 with Wiss) in one box, then add bureaus for 3 players (15), and repeat in the other box with the "II" ambassadors and the other bureaus. Doesn't change how many boxes you need, just another way to solve the problem of these things not fitting neatly into boxes. Since you never shuffle bureaus and you need to make sure you don't mix I and II ambassadors, this might work better. It's a little confusing to split the bureaus, which could fit in a box by themselves, but it may be a small price to pay for the sake of not having to use up an extra box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they've added 3 event cards.

That's going to make that T1 event tuckbox a tight squeeze. You could always banish the alliance inspection cards somewhere else, or see just how bad it really is when the tuckboxes and cards really get here. Remember, we're just working with estimates if you're using FFG sleeves. Mayday Premium sleeve users should be OK though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.