Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have grown tired of the grousing recently about how Netrunner sucks now and it is not worth playing anymore and all of that.

But this petty grumbling has inspired me to try playing the "worst" (?) ID's and build viable decks.

So, I come here to ask advice from players who have had success with my two chosen ID's:

The Professor

Whizzard+Hard at Work (as of here)

and

Stronger Together

What are some strategies I should look into?

Are there any pitfalls I should avoid?

Edits for Whizzard addition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This post has a link to a Stronger Together deck which the poster has had success with against Siphon-heavy criminal.

I have no personal experience to add sadly; my own Professor deck was a dead duck due to my insistence on making Monolith work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
This post has a link to a Stronger Together deck which the poster has had success with against Siphon-heavy criminal.

I have no personal experience to add sadly; my own Professor deck was a dead duck due to my insistence on making Monolith work

You decided that hard mode: professor wasn't enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:

You decided that hard mode: professor wasn't enough?

PROFESSORLITH OR NOTHING!

I jest; I'm actually an Anarch player but I have a soft spot for 'bad' cards. When I see a card (in this case, two) get universally reviled at release, there's a little part of me that says NO! IT CAN WORK!

Sadly I lack the skills to back it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents (and that is about all they are worth):

Stronger Together is just bad, and painfully slow. Maybe that has changed with some newer cards, but it always felt, to me, to be a synergistic card, or two away.

Professor, I wouldn't discount. With big, high influence programs he can be tough. You really, really have to know your deck, but he is the master at the toolbox.....getting the right tool at the right time. I played two different Profs, a big one and a little one. One cheated out big programs, and the other used really cheap programs and Aesop's. Faerie is the poster girl, but things like a first turn Inti to get through cheap barriers, then sell to Aesop's when you draw, or need to get your corroder. Use Bishop as a economy help, then pawn it. Things like that. LDS processor can work, and I toyed with a Replicator Prof , but didn't play that version that much.

Anyway, there are way better Prof players than me, but might stir some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:

Yeah, I tried that one back when my copies of Monolith were still crisp and unplayed (not terribly unlike they are today ) So, I am trying for an actual viable build this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
The professor could be interesting.

Shapers get Test run x3 and SMC x3. You can really tutor for what programs you need.

You also get Diesel and/or Quality time. SO you can really dig deep fast. Levy lets you dig it all back up again.

Shapers have plenty of ways to bump their MU limit.

And there is pretty much a program for everything. the trick is you get 1 of it.

Motivation -> Eureka! -> Monolith ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a *lot* of fun playing both ST and Prof, don't know if the decks are any good though.

My Prof deck runs 50-60% programs, the idea being it has a solution for any situation. scavenge really lets you switch easy: run Mag for a couple of turns, and then switch it to fem on the fly.

My ST deck runs with all the high str code gates. Viktor is just amazing, especially against yog. Str 6 is very hard for criminals to work around. A rezzed Wotan just totally shuts down a server, even if it was with biroid eff. They will never be able to click past it, and it is so expensive, it basically stays there the whole game.

Yeah, maybe not very top tier, but very fun, and when you win with it it feels totally amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just saying, ST is much more viable now with more economy options and all the biroid support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
stronger together is mind numbing to play with and against. you are poor, your opponent is poor. you both spend multiple turns gaining credits to make a run or score an agends 5 turns in the future then 50 turns later someone has won 7-6 and you both feel vaguely disappointed netrunner can be that tedious.

the professor isnt bad. he has a toolbox of weird tricks and sneaky plays and as the corp im never sure what he is up to. even though i know he is probably the 2nd or 3rd ID most likely to have sneakdoor i always forget in a game and the professor takes all my agendas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
And then I found this.

I must try it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I had loads of fun with The Professor and Ice Analyzer. I tried two different builds, one that utilized Diesel and Quality Time along with Freelance Coding Contract and one that instead utilized Modded for CyberSolutions Mem Chip and the Toolbox. One Analyzer is alright, having two is great, having three is lulzy. "Thanks for paying for my excessively large icebreaker."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://anrcrazydeck.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-professor-toolb...

I came up with that a while back as a thought exercise - I literally threw 1 of every non breaker program at the time into the deck + FCC and Draw and said lessgo sell the damn toolbox for money and run run run.

You might be able to tool it around into something a little more competitive.

The secret would be /knowing/ EXACTLY how much everything costs to SMC or Test Run for it and what you would need and when you would need it. And that would be practice, practice, practice to accomplish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
You know what card is really, really bad? Force of Nature. I challenge someone to find something redeeming about that card.

For cracking any of these codegates not to inefficiently (Yog still being better in all but 2 cases, baring the use of datasucker)

http://onosendaicorp.com/cards/corp/ice?subtype=code-gate&su...

For any other code gates with more or less (Enigma for more, every other code gate for less) then yeah. Wasted cred. For cracking all those? Right on the money.

FoN was long regarded as the worst breaker because viktor 1.0 and enigma were the only code gates it wasnt a waste of money to be breaking something you didnt need to (Enigma still being a slight waste, 4 credits for 3 subs afterall), and Yog got through both of those just fine for less.

Now, slowly, FoN is not becoming as useless. Yog is still better, yes, no doubt, and any other code gate breaker is still better. But slowly the number of ice that FoN is actually possibly better is growing. IN reality the only one youd likely see is Viktor2.0 and possibly Inazuma if that becomes popular with Tenma line. 2 code gates does not make FoN good, but it makes it less worse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hamner
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
Besides SMC, the most important card in any Professor deck is Sneakdoor Beta... somehow nobody ever sees it coming. In a similar vein, Nerve Agent wins games. Sharpshooter lessened the awesomeness of being able to run Faerie in Shaper a bit, but it is still an amazing card. You run Morning Star mainly out of obligation, but it is crazy good against Hive, Eli, and the various Heimdalls.

I like Sure Gamble, Modded, Pro Con, and Kati Jones for economy. Not really a fan of the Freelance Coding Contract approach. I am currently running 2x Akamatsus and 2x CyberSolutions for memory. No console.

It does take a lot of practice to know what you are going to do with any particular hand... since obviously consistency isn't the Prof's strong suit, but he usually does have the best answer to any particular problem in his deck somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor made Top 8 at several Chronos here in Europe, including winning one of them.

Exile is the ID no-one is playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
darkpact wrote:
The Professor made Top 8 at several Chronos here in Europe, including winning one of them.

Exile is the ID no-one is playing.

Actually Exile has won several tournaments too, more then THe Professor, in fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zbyszek Pożoga
Poland
flag msg tools
I made top8 with my Exile Deck at a Chronos Protocol in Torun. There was another one that came in 3rd. It also won a Store Championship in Warsaw. So people are playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
Battersea
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronger Together is tedious, but it can beat up on early game decks pretty easily.

I would say Because We Built It is far far worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
bayushi_david wrote:

BWBI was actually my original identity I used when I got into the game. I had a decent amount of success with it, winning many more games than I lost. It went undefeated in my first tournament as well. It was not until I read that the ID sucked that I switched it out for BABW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
isaacw2008 wrote:
bayushi_david wrote:

BWBI was actually my original identity I used when I got into the game. I had a decent amount of success with it, winning many more games than I lost. It went undefeated in my first tournament as well. It was not until I read that the ID sucked that I switched it out for BABW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
wakkowolf wrote:
isaacw2008 wrote:
bayushi_david wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Stronger Together for a while now (about 6 months and glacier HB since plugged in tour), and it doesn't suck. The deck I'm running actually plays better with ST than ETF, but it's taken months to get there.

The absolute number one rule of building an ST deck is: You don't need all the Bioroids. It's tempting to start with ST and then just jam it full of Bioroids but that isn't going to work. ~50% Bioroid is fine; it doesn't take long for your stacked roids to start costing the runner tons of credits and/or datasucker counters.

Start with Nord's Red Coats deck. The idea is to build a deck that taxes the crap out of the runner. Every run should cost them a lot of resources, such that they can't run a server twice (Ash works well here) or a well timed program trashing knocks them out for a turn or two.

Remember that ST's early game economy isn't as strong as ETF, so you need a way to mitigate that. I've tested a number of different economy packages. Ash/Eve/Hedge are musts, and Restructure is also strong. Successful Demonstration is also great. Get 1 off and you've already covered 4 or 5 turns worth of ETF. Consider splashing in GRNDL refinery as well. It works as a sort of weird economic Ronin. Install-advance-advance. If the runner runs, they've hopefully just spent a ton of credits to run through and trash and you now have a scoring window. If they don't, advance advance, take your money and now all of a sudden all your unrezzed ICE is really scary.

Agendawise, Nord's agenda load out is really strong. I personally use more NAPD contracts than ABTs. My ST deck is rarely low on cash so rezzing ice via ABT isn't necessary, and the extra ST tax from the Bioroids means NAPD is harder for the runner to score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to make a Professor deck, but every time I do I end up going back toward the Dirty Hands Exile deck. They just feel so similar, with different tools. At least from my vantage, both want to have very fluid rigs - don't expect anything you put out to be permanent, and build to what suits that exact moment at that exact time.

I played against a Professor one round that had a few charges on his Datasucker, but I didn't think much of it. He was low on cash and I had a heimdall 1, 2, Eli, and Wotan on my remote with a 3p behind it. Then he test ran a morningstar onto his dino and trololol'd through it. He didn't scavenge to keep it out next round, but cashed up and put a cheap sentry breaker on it (Faerie, I think?) to prod R&D, just knowing that if I ever did want to score out of that remote, he could drop that Morning again and trash the Faerie.

Adaptability is key. I like Prof, but like I said, every time I think about how much you should cycle to use him, I wind up back at Exile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Henry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I think the interesting common point between these two IDs, which are regarded as weak links in their factions, will be better as more cards come out.

I know you can say that of any runner/corp ID but these both have specific abilities that benefit from larger card pools. Prof's ability benefits from more program choices and ST benefits from more bioroid options.

I like playing with weaker cards once in a while to find alternate ways to use them. There was a point where nobody was using "Rework" so I made an HB glacier deck that focused on it - if you couldn't score out of hand, put it back in an iced up expensive to run R&D.

maybe I'll take a crack at ST again...

EDIT: actually come to think of it you probably could work out a semi decent glacier deck due to the strength buffs in ST so there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.