Subject: The folly of the collectable aspect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Due to the limited supply of the starter and booster product, what should have been a fun and cheap game has turned into a nightmare. Locally one shop did not even sell boosters but broke them open to sell as singles while another just sold packs at $2 per pack. Really? Thanks to the high quality pictures on ebay who needs the "collectable" cards? Seriously, I have no desire for hoards of extra dice from extras to sit idle like my common and uncommon magic cards. I paid a premium for $1 a piece common dice/card so I can just proxy the gamearrrh. Ethically dubious for sure but it just make sense when venues are being preditory due to availability. Target at least was selling packs for a $1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Forsberg
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, this is the first I have heard of a FLGS opening the boosters to try and sell as singles. Certainly, this is only really worth it for the Ultra Rares, and it seems like an awful lot of trouble, especially since I personally would be out of a joint like that until they stopped trying to take advantage of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some places are. The market will settle down and proxies are probably ok for now, but when competitive play begins, which I'm sure many here would enjoy doing, proxies are obviously going to be out of bounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn G
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Anyone willing to pay $2 a booster pack isn't paying any attention, you can buy them for $1 each on ebay with free shipping if you're willing to buy 20 at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like more of an issue with your local store being crappy than the collectible model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Game shops provide the play venue which has value without them games become limited. I just pains me when they try to punish us for being excited for a product. The same things happened when magic first appeared. $15 for a pack of legends or another place that was selling boxes for $1200... Just bad all around. I really like this game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I live in an area where we have 5 local gaming stores. The only one that was not being exploitive just ended up selling the displays before they even had a chance to be sold as boosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing pains. This game will be everywhere and easy to find in 3 months. Same as all popular launches (video game consoles, board games, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
In Portland, boosters are everywhere. No one is out of stock on them and they sell for $1 at game stores and $0.99 at mass market retailers.

Also, you can order boosters boxes for $42 ($0.70/pack) at Coolstuffinc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/marvel_dice_mast... online $0.89

Sorry to hear, I would just shop around. All the FLGS in my area are selling at $1 or cheaper.

edit: *thumbs* for coolstuff too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Buying online is almost like being antisocial. I have no problem buying boardgames online because I game at a private home...I mean no game shop support required. I would love to see big events , which can only happen at a store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Severance
United States
New York
flag msg tools
This has less to do with the collectible model and more of an issue with stock. At $1 a booster this should be one of the cheapest collectibles ever. Prices are what they due to supply and demand. The model works when supply can be met. This will all turn around in late May when more product is in the market. This same type of thing happens during Gencon when publishers release a limited amount of stock at the show. Prices on those games go crazy for those that get them and then the market clams down on regular release. Hold tight. Things will settle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a stock issue not collectible aspect. Just relax in a few months no one will remember the Great Dice Masters Rush of '14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a few months I will no longer care. I will have all the "rares" proxied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bazar
United States
Visalia
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I see no ethical issue with using proxies.

They couldn't even be bothered to use different art for the different rarities plus they choose the intelligence-insulting collectible model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Soldan wrote:
In a few months I will no longer care. I will have all the "rares" proxied.

Good for you :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I am aware, at official tournaments they don't allow proxies.

However as for playing with buddies, if he/she doesn't allow it, your friend is being a d-bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I find myself $120 deep and still missing 2 super rares, 17 rares 3 uncommons and 7 dice. with more spare dice, uncommons and common cards than I know what to do with (all are useless). with only 7 extra rares that seem to be worth anything to my local trade community. I am finished buying boosters to only find 2 commons in a pack to throw away. Even buying a gravity feed only averages 10 rares, 34 uncommons 1 super rare and too many commons. even then I seem to get the same rares I already have. I give up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are getting too wrapped up in the idea of having every card. I don't think you need to do that to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
I think people are getting too wrapped up in the idea of having every card. I don't think you need to do that to enjoy the game.

It's a bit like saying I can't play Magic unless I own every card first, or even Netrunner - buying every datapack so you can enjoy the game. Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
JoyrexJ9 wrote:
sayeWaspinator wrote:

It's a bit like saying I can't play Magic unless I own every card first, or even Netrunner - buying every datapack so you can enjoy the game. Madness

Netrunner is balanced out of the box. Dicemasters not so much as it should have been a non-collectable with frequent expansions. The collectable model gets it into target next to the heroclix grav feeds though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also it is very hard to explore the meta without all the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just bought 1 box (proxying the starter until I can nab one). There was a super friendly guy at my shop that was missing only 3 rares, and I got 1 of them. I traded him for a different rare I didn't have and he had a duplicate of and he gave me 10 uncommons with 2 dice each. Now all I am "missing" is 1 uncommon, 20 rares, and 3 SR. But having like 75 options (not counting the starter) is plenty.

The rares don't denote power in this, so its not like I'm missing all the power cards. I don't see how spending even $40 more is worth atempting to get 24 more cards. After several sets of this game are released, I will have WAY more cards than I would know what to with.

I think trying to get all of them, especially the people who bought 8 boxes, is going to burn out alot of people.

My recommendation is to buy 1 box and have fun. If you like tournament play, then you should be able to grab any singles you need. And people are bleeding dice at my comic shop... I expect to see a box of them behind the counter for like 10cents each soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.