Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm crazy... Eh I'll ask what you all think.

I've watched a big surge in competitive gaming in the video game relm as of late. Many games have had big events for years with tons of cash prizes but the one that struck me most was Super Smash Brothers, a game that on grass roots support initially is becoming a large force in the esports world.

So I was curious, has anyone ever attempted to start a grass roots board game league of some kind? Streaming events live, having a big championship of some kind, the whole works?

I realize that the idea of this is rather crazy, it would be difficult to pick the lineup of games for sure, something fun to watch but still competitive.

I realize that Catan, Monopoly, and many other games have world championships but I'm wondering if there is anything for smaller games that have large followings.

Does such a thing exist that I have missed? Would such a thing ever even stand a chance at popularity? What games would you propose should be used for competition? Have I asked too many questions?

I'm just really curious about the idea. There are quite a lot of tabletop gamers out there, could a small grass roots effort make somwthing like this happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Simpson
United States
Camby
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Magic: the Gathering has livestreams of major tournaments (and even showed up on one of the lesser ESPN's back in the day), so that's definetely a good place to start.

But the problem with comparing it to games played in ESports (competitive video games) is that those games being played are, while still full of deep strategic challenge, are equally appealing visually to the viewer.

Take League of Legends, at its core from a player standpoint there's a lot of tiny decisions being made and worried about at a single point. But the game is designed in such a way where someone who has never played a game of LoL in their life can sit down, watch a stream, and have a basic understanding of what's going on based on the visuals, announcers, and displays shown while still enjoying the sport of it. Same goes for any big ESport game: Starcraft, Counter-Strike, and pretty much any fighting game (which is why the genre is perfect for the competitive scene).

Back to the topic at hand though, streaming of competitive board gaming (while awesome in theory) would take a lot of work to make interesting for the average viewer. Think in terms of the show Table-Top: what draws non-gamer viewers to it is the interaction between the players and the hilarity that ensues, which would be lacking in a competitive scene. Viewers would also need background knowledge of said game before jumping in or they would be lost, I'm sure even some gamers would be if it was an unfamiliar game.

Is it impossible? No, but it would take a lot of work to really get on levels to compare with MLG and things of that nature. With our medium being held back by the lack of flashy visuals and having to know rules beforehand, not to mention the average viewer would be too put off by watching four people silently staring at a board.

Now on the other hand for TCGs, LCGs, and even some Mini's games I could see this happening. But it would obviously have to be a very popular game to begin with, hence why MTG is able to make it work with their big tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
The World Boardgaming Championships (aka WBC) Convention held in Lancaster, PA meets some of your needs. It is host to 125+ multi round competitive tournaments to determine the best at a game. It does draw really good competition from across the USA and some international participants.

Lasts over a week now, I would recommend as an excellent mid tier convention. I do not see it as a spectator event, games are fun to play. However, watching a 10 time champion dismantle the annual opposition is interesting.

http://www.boardgamers.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.