Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if a guy wanted to get on on the material after the re-release of product in 2009, what are the defining sets to date?

we're only interested in Super Heroes Cosmology, however. No need for vid game characters or Tolkien or anything else, just Sups and their homies.

Looking to find some one moving on their sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of play are you interested in? Will these be purely for (a)home games, (b) non-competitive in-store play, or (c) do you hope to be competitive in tournaments?
I only play home games, so I thoroughly enjoy the old pre-2009 heroclix that you can pick up for super cheap. I personally enjoy the simplicity of the game from that era and there are clix of most all the major characters.
Now if you are interested in the re-release stuff and want to be competitive, you'll basically have to get the latest sets. To play in what they call "modern age" you'll need characters from sets released within the last two years. "Modern age" is only a tournament condition really, so you don't need to get that recent of sets if you don't intend to play in tournaments.
Sorry I haven't really answered your question yet, but when I have more info, I'll give you a better answer.
Oh, also, are you more interested in DC or Marvel sets, or do you want both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Nothing at all competitive. In fact, it will be solo play with random draw on Heroscape tiles, with considerable HRing.

I've run the older figures and got frustrated with the imprecision of the clicking mechanism, among other things. I think I can handle the complexity of the later release rule set and would appreciate the upgraded art, paint, and improved dials.

Only figs I want are from the super hero cosmology, the more obscure, the better. But no Halo or vid based stuff, nor LotR.

Also want figs with a card, as I use this as a activation mechanism.

Question: I see some of the newer figs with deeper black bases. How new is this and what does it represent?

Thanks again.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just sent you a PM rob, should have read this first lol recommended the lotr sets sorry, anyway, the new deeper bases are called OREO bases cause they look similar to the fat cookie.

They are heroclix made perfect as they are a new design in click base that is extremely reliable and require no special devices or long nails to turn the clix base.

If you have a liking for the more bizarre lesser known supers then eBay is an absolute treasure trove of heroes from the lesser known corners of comics.

For the highest quality figs always look for the new OREO base and make sure the description of the lot includes all cards.

I picked up the entire Amazing spider man set with all rares and cards in an auction just the other day for only 30 usd!

Got lucky on that one, they are fantastic figs.

All in all I have about 700 figures in my collection that range from the original sets to the current so let me know if you have any more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Can you give me an exact date or release event that marks the advent of these new dials? It's pretty Greek looking at first glance.

Thanks, Ghost Finger,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any set produced by the NECA company that started putting them out in 2009, after a brand re launch with THE HAMMER OF THOR set, will have a far superior dial to the older types.

Its important to note however that the current OREO base was NOT used in the HOT set but the type of dial housing used was still very good.

NECA have made a serious commitment to heroclix and regardless of the type of base used, any figures made by NECA will be very functional and be mounted on a reliable base, far better than those of previous generations.

So rather than looking for a manufacture date... Just look for NECA on the underbase printing or on the packaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that sounds like a CUR set (common, uncommon, rare) I doubt it had any primes, super rares or chases (the only figures with any real secondary market value)

that said, it's a great way to purchase pieces for casual players. They are generally quite inexpensive, especially if you wait a year after the set releases. 30 bucks for almost 40 figs, many of them quite playable is fantastic.

as for the NECA sets, NECA's first released set was Hammer of Thor at the end of '09

the defining sets I would consider the larger sets, not the plethora of mini ones (although there are may good sets in there as well)

they would be:

Brave and the Bold
Web of Spider-man
DC 75th anniversary
Giant-Sized X-men
Captain America
Superman (this is the first "oreo dial" set. I never had a problem clicking any figures except sometimes from the avengers set, but I know that wasn't the case for everyone...and no, I didn't have long nails)
Incredible Hulk
Galactic Guardians
Chaos War
Batman
Amazing Spider-Man
Teen Titans
Wolverine and the X-men
Invincible Iron Man
Superman and the Legion of super-heroes

a lot of the smaller sets, could be termed as "defining" (like the 10th anniversary set) but those are generally not available cheaply, like CUR sets from the bigger sets can be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian: Is that list chronological, by chance?

Another thing, does anyone play solo with random builds, random draws, on Heroscape tiles, with random placement?

Because that is exactly what I intend to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes of course it's chronological!

I personally have zero interest in solo play, but then I have plenty of opportunities for non solo play...except mostly I just watch other people play while I judge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:

I've run the older figures and got frustrated with the imprecision of the clicking mechanism, among other things. I think I can handle the complexity of the later release rule set and would appreciate the upgraded art, paint, and improved dials.

Also want figs with a card, as I use this as a activation mechanism.

Question: I see some of the newer figs with deeper black bases. How new is this and what does it represent?
Rob

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I somehow forgot to subscribe to this after I posted in it and just that I hadn't gotten a response yet...(doh!)

So if you got to http://www.hcrealms.com/index.php?page=units you will be able to look at all of the heroclix sets released thus far. The sets are shown in a bar going across the top of the page and it also shows the sets release dates. If you have found the clicking mechanism frustrating, then I would definitely recommend the new "Oreo" bases ("deeper black bases" as you referred to them). As blubeard said, they started using those beginning with the set "Superman" released September 2011, so any sets made after that will have the easier to click dials that you want.

Sorry, I can't speak to solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play solo quite often, it's the best way to see just what everybody does, test new teams and combinations... And besides, if I played every time I wanted to, my friends would get sick of me :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear that GHOST FINGER . . . nice to spread the love around but we start to look a little overzealous at times.

Figured out how to record my collection on the Realm with the Have list. Now need to dial up what's needed on the Want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that it's really a big deal, but if you plan to do any trading on HCRealms, the "Have" list is the 'clix you "Have for trading" and "Keep" is the list use to maintain your own collection that you do not intend to trade.
Since I don't want to go online everytime I want to look at my collection or build a team, I use the Clix HD ipad app. It's a lot more convenient for team building and I really like that when I'm viewing a dial I can click on any power on the dial and it will show the power exactly as it is given on the Powers and Abilities Card (or the special power text from the character's card).

The app if you're interested:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clix-hd/id529391748?mt=8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well hell. Thanks for the heads up on that. We live on a small hill on a small island off the coast of the US here and are lucky to have solar power, let alone mobile phone apps.

I'll go back in switch those from Have to Keep, although I bet I have to do it one at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G R
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quick question from an also noob. (don't mean to hijack this thread from the OP)
Can the different sets.. older, new, in between, be used together? (Oreo and non-Oreo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddandb wrote:
Quick question from an also noob. (don't mean to hijack this thread from the OP)
Can the different sets.. older, new, in between, be used together? (Oreo and non-Oreo)

yes, all of the heroclix sets work together. Power creep is definitely a bit of a thing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that if you're interested in organized play, the sets are separated into 'modern' age and 'golden' age. Older sets are rotated out of modern age as new sets come in, but golden age allows for all sets to be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.