Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Maytivation: What have your experiences with Oracle May been? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
With H&P's release has come multiple new cards and potential strategies. I'm rather surprised to not see anything substantial about Oracle May. This card really excites me, it might be a new, viable econ/card draw engine. So I decided to start my own thread to discuss the topic. I personally haven't been able to play much with Oracle May yet, the following is just a collection of my musing on the subject. I'm very curious about folks experience with her thus far, please share. Is the risk worth the reward?

For those that aren't aware, Oracle May combos with Motivation. FFG subtly hinted toward this: you can superimpose May and Emo Exhile sitting on the same bench with one another. From this point forward I'm calling this combo "Maytivation". You don't like the name? Then you should have beat me to authoring the post. Deal with it.

The benefit of running this combo should be pretty obvious, by receiving $2 and a card draw in a single click you are netting yourself 2 clicks per turn. Compare this to the "Golden Standard" set down by MO or PC, these cards only net you 1 click. In addition, it only costs $1 to play this combo vs the $5 large tempo hit you receive for playing MO or PC.

So why not always play Maytivation? 2 clicks are better than 1 right? $1 is cheaper than $5 right? Well, there are a couple things to keep in mind when implementing Maytivation:
· Your opponent knows what you drew
· Assembling a combo is difficult
· Oracle May can only be activated once per turn
· Subsequent draws of the combo are dead draws*
· Oracle May costs influence
· Susceptible to Tags

Are these issues worth the reward? Other combo's like SEA Source/Scorch/Scorch win you the game, Maytivation does not.

Your opponent knows what you drew

Netrunner is a game about information, guessing what your opponent is going to do and countering that is at the heart of the game. If the corporation knows every card you draw, they will better understand the board state and what actions to take. This is an intangible disadvantage that you can't quantify in numbers. Revealing the "secret sauce" of your deck could be your complete undoing. You always have the option to not make use of May, but if you don't use her, then why play her at all?

With that being said, celebrity gift has a similar reveal mechanic, yet remains popular. Emphasis on the word similar. They aren't the same thing, this is the big question mark I have when playing Maytivation.

Assembling a combo is difficult

Oracle May and Motivation on their own are nearly useless. Luck sometimes isn't on your side, there will be games where you fail to assemble the combo. It takes 12 card draws to have a 50% chance of drawing your combo (assuming a standard 45 card deck and you have 3 of both Oracle May and Motivation) I calculated this using hypergeometric distribution.

The above odds aren't good enough. You need to devote deck space to increasing the odds in your favor. You can do this three ways. First, you could play an identity that either shrinks your deck size (CT/Silo) or increases your hand size (Andy). CT/Silo need 10.5 draws. Andy still needs 12, but has an opening hand of 9 cards so you reach that 12th card quicker.

Second, you can play cards that accelerate draw. Spending deck space...for card draw...so you can play a combo...that generates card draw...feels a little disappointing. I'm not talking about placing PC, wyldside, or Mr. Li in your decks though. I'm talking about using event based card draw such as diesel or QT. By accelerating your draws, you will spend less clicks to see your combo.

Third, you can play cards that tutor for the card in question. Unfortunately, as it stands today there is no way to tutor for Motivation. Oracle May is a connection, so hostage is a potential option. If you are to use hostage, then you will want to include other connections in the deck to ensure its not a dead draw later. I'm not so sure what those connections would be. Also, hostage is somewhat pricey out of faction for the benefit. I don't see this option working out that well.

Oracle May can only be activated once per turn

I think we can all agree Oracle May is very efficient at what she does, however, she can not be the "end all" solution in your deck. You can only activate her once a turn. You can't just throw her down like MO and have a cash solution for the entire game. You need to build your deck differently to use Maytivation, you need to support the combo with cards that will guard you against tempo loss.

For instance, lets say you hit a snare. You need to spend time drawing back up and it can't just be the single card you get from Oracle May. Enter diesel or QT.

How about another one? Your NBN opponent is going asset economy. He keeps throwing down San San's, Jackson's, and sometimes even pad campaigns behind an iced up remote. You have to continue to run that remote just in case its an astroscript. This becomes taxing overtime. That Oracle May's $2 isn't going to be enough to keep up, you need more economy cards than just Oracle May to keep up.

Subsequent draws of the combo are dead draws*

Once you have Maytivation running, subsequent draws of Oracle May or Motivation are useless. Aesop's Pawnshop turns motivation into a delayed easy mark. Aesoping May isn't as good and only nets you $2, but this still matches the "golden standard" laid down by MO. Using Aesop's also adds additional value to resource economy cards like daily casts and armitage codebusting.

Oracle May costs influence

Oracle May and Motivaton only cost 1 influence a piece, however, it should have dawned on you by now you can't just throw these 6 cards in your deck and have them work wonders. You need to build a supporting cast for this combo and those cards might cost influence. Yes, you could play Maytivation outside of shaper, but as I see it, it'll cost you an arm and a leg. Is it worthwhile spending nearly all your influence in Criminal or Anarch for this combo?

Susceptible to Tags

If you get tagged, the corporation doesn't need to trash both Oracle May and Motivation, just one. Fall guy might not be a terrible idea and is yet another card that goes well with Aesop's.

Haha I made you read all of this and didn't post a deck

When I have more experience I will. For now, I see these going together in CT quite well:
· 3 Oracle May
· 3 Motivation
· 3 Diesel
· 2 Aesop's Pawnshop
· 3 Daily Casts
· 3 Armitage Codebusting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
My experience has been that it takes too many card slots to be viable. I suspect the best way to run this is in a deck that plays Hostage so that you don't have to spend 3 card slots and 3 influence on Oracle Mai. Even still, though, Pro Contacts seems overall better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hamner
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
I ran it today in an Andromeda Connections deck with Hostage (1x Oracle May, 3x Motivation). It seemed fine, but not amazing. In Criminal especially, do I really want to show you that I'm about to draw an Inside Job or Account Siphon? In the few games I played I didn't have trouble assembling the combo, but then I was playing it in Andromeda for exactly that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other economy cards that you can include too.

Security testing for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Put Oracle in Exile. Call event all the time. Watch as programs get thrown in the heap. Play Motivation so you don't fuck it up a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know, but I am building an *almost* all event Ken deck, that is going to hostage for Oracle. Going to be guessing event a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Chi
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I've had a decent experience with this Chaos Theory deck list.

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/4973/auntie-may

Its imperfect, but can plop down a rig and money up quite quickly. It supplements the Test Run/Scavenge with Eureka! and May.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
The once-a-turn factor is a significant limit. It means that any turn where you spend a click to draw an additional card, you would have been just as well off with ProCo installed.

Maytivation is cheaper than ProCo to install, but not *that* much cheaper by the time you account for the extra install click and the costs (clicks/opportunity) of drawing into the extra card.

The use of card slots is rough as well. 3x ProCo is 3 slots for a pretty good shot of seeing it early. To have a prayer of seeing Maytivation early, you need 3x Motivation and (3x Oracle May OR (1x Oracle May + 3x Hostage), for 6 or 7 slots, respectively.

Finally, there's the question of influence. The cheapest influence cost would be in Shaper, where you can run the combo for 3 influence with 3x Oracle May. Criminal, you're looking at 4 influence (3 for Motivations, 1 for May, and then 3 Hostages are free). Anarch is pretty cost-prohibitive no matter how you slice it.

All in all, I think it's probably a waste in Shaper, when you could be running ProCo for zero influence, less card slots, and more reliable tempo. It's possible it could be worthwhile in Criminal if you have other targets for Hostage, but even there I'm skeptical: you could still be using ProCo for half the influence and 1/4 the card slots.

Sidenote: I'm not sure about the synergy with Eureka!. On the one hand, it certainly benefits from the Motivation half of this combo. On the other hand, playing Eureka! basically turns off Maytivation for the turn.

Second Sidenote: Minor correction -- as it stands right now, there is at least one way to tutor for Motivation: Logos. I'm not suggesting this is viable at the moment, but there might be some build in the future that runs a bunch of 1- or 2-of pieces for Johnny combos + Logos. Then you see what random junk you draw and use Logos to fill in the missing pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sheshonk wrote:
From this point forward I'm calling this combo "Maytivation".

I prefer "Oracle Mo"

Sorry I don't have anything real to contribute; I've done no testing with this combo yet. Nice write-up though - have some thumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried her. Even in a deck with Test Runs and Eureka!s to make even more synergy. She's decent, but nothing spectacular. I'm unimpressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.