Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: getting into rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this years ago when it first came out (actually liked Netrunner better) but this one was good too
let me explain, I grew up in a really small town and when a great card came out it was immediately purchased by a couple friends that then created impossible to beat decks (that and I liked the green deck and there just weren't enough fliers ...)
I worked a lot and rarely had time to play, let alone make it to the store to buy new packs before they were grabbed up (and the best cards traded/sold)
basically it killed any competition and it only lasted a short while ...

My son really likes Greek Mythology and we still play Netrunner (I have the new sets, but love the original artwork) which got me thinking about breaking out this new game

Theros has a greek Mythology to it, but what suggestions do you have??
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious suggestion would be to get the heroes versus monsters duel deck. Realistically, I would suggest buying 2 intro decks. I believe most of the intro decks from this block (Theros, Born of the Gods or Journey to Nyx) will have more or less a Greek mythology flavor. The intro decks are ready to play.mimlike them better than the duel decks because the intro decks tend to be simpler. Some of the duel decks cards are older and can be a bit more complex or use more complex mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGIC-THE-GATHERING-Theros-Intro-Dec...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you are just going to be fooling around with close friends (and not say - getting into tournaments) Any Intro or duel deck would be a fine place to start.

Intro decks are 60 card decks, come with 2 booster packs. I usually describe them as being 'Broad, but shallow.' They do a lot of different things, but none of them particularly well. The idea being that even a novice player can take cards that they don't like out for cards that they do like (the 2 packs are supposed to facilitate this somewhat). You would need at least 2 to play.

Duel decks are 2 60-card decks in a single box, and are specifically designed to play against each other. These decks are also slightly more focused that intro decks in terms of theme and what-not. It makes a great 2-player starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like you want to avoid the arms race that can occur with Magic.

I suggest putting limitations on the cards available.
Some that are used are the banned/restricted lists which limit which cards are available for each tournament. Another possibility for you is Pauper Magic for which only common cards are legal, and even then not all of them.
banned list for Pauper
Yet another option would be to build a cube.
Cube Draft Intro
There all players will have access to the same pool of cards it should serve to give the best players the edge rather than those who spend the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Another possibility for you is Pauper Magic for which only common cards are legal, and even then not all of them.
banned list for Pauper

Keep in mind that pauper banned list is for MTG Online, where some cards were only ever issued at rarities different from how they were issued on paper. "Sinkhole" and "Hymn to Tourach" are powerful cards that were issued as commons in their respective paper releases, and would likely be on the paper-pauper banned list if there was a published-paper-pauper banlist, but they were never added to that MTGO banlist because they were never issued as MTGO commons (so they were banned from MTGO pauper by default).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, just playing for fun
I now live in an even smaller town (800 population)
but I figure we'll have fun with it
thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In the early 90s you could argue that a small town was a limitation of supply, trade pool, hoarding... In 2014 it's so easy and cheap* to buy singles online that the principles of small-town limiting your deckbuilding is really obsolete thinking.

*provided you're not chasing the 1% of tournament staple rares and mythics; those aren't cheap but most casual-deck cards are. If you're building for casual you don't need 4 Brimaz and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Another possibility for you is Pauper Magic for which only common cards are legal, and even then not all of them.
banned list for Pauper

Keep in mind that pauper banned list is for MTG Online, where some cards were only ever issued at rarities different from how they were issued on paper. "Sinkhole" and "Hymn to Tourach" are powerful cards that were issued as commons in their respective paper releases, and would likely be on the paper-pauper banned list if there was a published-paper-pauper banlist, but they were never added to that MTGO banlist because they were never issued as MTGO commons (so they were banned from MTGO pauper by default).

Actually neither Sinkhole nor Hymn to Tourach are on the Pauper banned list.

This is the Puaper banned list.

Cranial Plating
Frantic Search
Empty the Warrens
Grapeshot
Invigorate
Cloudpost
Temporal Fissure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:
frumpish wrote:
banned list for Pauper

Actually neither Sinkhole nor Hymn to Tourach are on the Pauper banned list.

This is the Puaper banned list.

Cranial Plating
Frantic Search
Empty the Warrens
Grapeshot
Invigorate
Cloudpost
Temporal Fissure

I think that was Mark's point. Even though Sinkhole and Hymn are extremely powerful cards that the OP may not want to play with, they aren't on the Pauper banned list because that official list is only for MTGO Pauper, and Sinkhole and Hymn aren't even available for banning in that format.

I would strongly suggest that the OP get a Duel Deck and play with just that for a little while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, that was the entire point of my post. Kinda makes me wonder what frumpish *thought* my post was about.

Sinkhole and Hymn to Tourach *are* MTGO-pauper-banned, because MTGO pauper bans all cards that are not MTGO commons (plus your provided list of MTGO commons that are explicitly banned).

And neither of those cards are MTGO commons. They were paper commons, but were never MTGO commons. So they are MTGO-pauper-banned by virtue of MTGO not even considering them commons.

Unfortunately, nobody officially maintains a list of what is banned in paper pauper. There is no official body governing that. But if there were, they'd alsmot assuredly see fit to ban those two cards that MTGO never needed to add to their explicit ban list because they were blanket banned from MTGO pauper by virtue of their MTGO-only rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently frumpish thought that Pauper Magic was supported beyond MTGO.

Ignore what I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend buying common/uncommon playsets of Theros (should be pretty cheap). That will give you a ton of cards, and you can each build a variety of decks. I recommend building 40 card decks instead of the usual 60, at least to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.