Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Clemons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, after one of my friends got completely screwed in his opening hand (all of his cards required nothing but pink, and there was very little pink on the field, so he generally had a bad game because of it), and I kept getting completely screwed by the panda enclosures, I've implemented two variants on my game.

1. At the beginning of the game, each player draws two cards from each deck, and keep one from each. This helps alleviate color problems.

2. Only with the lightning action, not from regular panda movement, can the panda eat from the enclosures. However, to make it balanced, if the player wants to have the panda eat from the panda enclosure, he still has to take regular panda movement from the lightning action (as opposed to just dropping it there and eating it).

Because there are just so many panda enclosures, and I kept getting screwed over trying to get a 3 stack for a single objective, I'm putting these rules in place for whenever I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "panda enclosure"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:

By context, I would assume he means the hexes the panda cannot eat from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikomaxless wrote:
I kept getting screwed over trying to get a 3 stack for a single objective

Is this referring to gardener objectives? (That is the only kind where the height of the bamboo stack matters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Clemons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:
Mikomaxless wrote:
I kept getting screwed over trying to get a 3 stack for a single objective

Is this referring to gardener objectives? (That is the only kind where the height of the bamboo stack matters)

Yes. Gardener objectives where you have to have a specific color and size of stack on x tile. I got screwed over 5 turns in a row because a three stack is so hard to do as opposed to four, the max height is very easy when you have four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snowden27 wrote:
Litespeed Rider wrote:

By context, I would assume he means the hexes the panda cannot eat from.
Um, Panda Exclosure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikomaxless wrote:
So, after one of my friends got completely screwed in his opening hand (all of his cards required nothing but pink, and there was very little pink on the field,
I puzzle a bit at that statement because at the opening there are no colors on the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Clemons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
TVis wrote:
Mikomaxless wrote:
So, after one of my friends got completely screwed in his opening hand (all of his cards required nothing but pink, and there was very little pink on the field,
I puzzle a bit at that statement because at the opening there are no colors on the field.

I'll rephrase it. By turn 9, there still wasn't a single pink on the field, and he had no other options since his opening hand was all things that required pink tiles. Since pink is the least common, getting a bad hand could make the game not fun, which is why drawing two and keeping one is a much better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player gets two actions a turn. In this situation, one action should be drawing three tiles and the other should be drawing new cards. After the second turn, when the player has the max of 5 cards in hand, switch to drawing/placing tiles and eating bamboo/getting irrigation. Not getting any pink plots on the field after nine turns (of draw three tiles, discard two) is very unlikely.

Take a look at my shared objectives variant for another way to reduce luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Clemons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Each player gets two actions a turn. In this situation, one action should be drawing three tiles and the other should be drawing new cards. After the second turn, when the player has the max of 5 cards in hand, switch to drawing/placing tiles and eating bamboo/getting irrigation. Not getting any pink plots on the field after nine turns (of draw three tiles, discard two) is very unlikely.

It may be unlikely, but that's what happened in our very first game. The player needing the pink did not get a single pink in any of his draws. None of us needed any pink on our objectives, so we only placed green and yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikomaxless wrote:
silverbowen wrote:

It may be unlikely, but that's what happened in our very first game. The player needing the pink did not get a single pink in any of his draws. None of us needed any pink on our objectives, so we only placed green and yellow.

I would carefully explain and offer the strategy pointed out above about drawing cards and discarding cards in future games. House ruling a game designed by Antoine Bauza seems extreme as he is a well noted/respected designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.