Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Black Jr.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 Heroes. The goal for the Overload is to get 5 archers to the exit. Heroes to kill Ettin.

1) 2 Ettins or 1? I'm thinking 1, but do I pick the red one or white one?

2) If an archer makes it to the end, is he out of the game for good?

3) Is there anything else I should anticipate for my first play though!?

Thanks!

EDIT/UPDATE

I won my first game against 4 Heroes as the Overlord. I think I just got lucky with rolling 3 shields a lot. I'm going to sit down with the rulebook to iron out some stuff, but a couple more quick ones.

4) At the end of my turn (Overlord), I can bring in reinforcements, but how many am I limited to? One?

5) Do I have to do all my movement first, then attack? I played with the archers to attack the Heroes and then move to the exit. After they cleared the way, then I moved in the Ettin to attack. I figured that was legal.

6) I got the Archers to leave the map, but I never reinforced any back in because they "didn't die"? Was that right? The only ones I brought back in was the ones that did die...

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
draggingalake wrote:
4 Heroes. The goal for the Overload is to get 5 archers to the exit. Heroes to kill Ettin.

Flip the Ettin card over. On the bottom of the card, it will show you icons to indicate how many you are allowed for a specified number of heroes. The white numbers are the number of minion Ettins and the red numbers are the number of master Ettins.

For 4 heroes, you will get 1 master (red) and 1 minion (white).

draggingalake wrote:

Yes, he has left the map.

draggingalake wrote:
3) What should it except for first time playing?

I don't understand this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Black Jr.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha, I typed that to fast.

Is there anything else I should anticipate for my first playthough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voidreturn wrote:
draggingalake wrote:

Flip the Ettin card over. On the bottom of the card, it will show you icons to indicate how many you are allowed for a specified number of heroes. The white numbers are the number of minion Ettins and the red numbers are the number of master Ettins.

For 4 heroes, you will get 1 master (red) and 1 minion (white).

draggingalake wrote:

Yes, he has left the map.

draggingalake wrote:

I don't understand this question.

2) But you can still use them to reinforce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
draggingalake wrote:

Thanks!

The guys already answered the others but, to #3:

Expect to make a few rules mistakes, so reread the rulebook after the game. A few of the more common ones:
A figure can get each status only once, so no double-stunning for instance.
A Stun only takes away one action of a figure, not its complete activation.
A surge ability may only be used once per attack. So, two surges don't give you two extra damage, unless there's two separate lines on the card that give you extra damage. Also you can at most recover one stamina via surge spending per attack.
Expect players to forget that they can spend surges to recover stamina.
The attacker gets to see the defense roll before deciding how to spend his surges.
If an attack hands out a status, it only does so if it also causes at least one damage after applying defense rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matus G
Slovakia
Prešov
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but as far as I understand the first quest, you have to kill just one ettin, the boss (I don't remember his name)... am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Name is Mauler and yes you are right : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draggingalake wrote:
Heroes to kill Ettin... but do I pick the red one or white one?

If you're playing with both Ettins the OL must declare one of them to be "Mauler" at the start of the quest. His choice. And this is the Ettin the heroes must kill to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the FAQ first. A lot of people mess up things like Stun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
draggingalake wrote:

Thanks!

The guys already answered the others but, to #3:

Expect to make a few rules mistakes, so reread the rulebook after the game. A few of the more common ones:
A figure can get each status only once, so no double-stunning for instance.
A Stun only takes away one action of a figure, not its complete activation.
A surge ability may only be used once per attack. So, two surges don't give you two extra damage, unless there's two separate lines on the card that give you extra damage. Also you can at most recover one stamina via surge spending per attack.
Expect players to forget that they can spend surges to recover stamina.
The attacker gets to see the defense roll before deciding how to spend his surges.
If an attack hands out a status, it only does so if it also causes at least one damage after applying defense rolls.

This last one especially. There is no game-obvious reason for it, so it's easy to overlook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
spencer_myers wrote:
draggingalake wrote:
Heroes to kill Ettin... but do I pick the red one or white one?

If you're playing with both Ettins the OL must declare one of them to be "Mauler" at the start of the quest. His choice. And this is the Ettin the heroes must kill to win.

Additionally, if the Overlord places his Ettins correctly and the heroes don't have skills to get around it (Oath of Honor), the heroes will have to go through the non-Mauler Ettin to get to the Mauler one. So they'll need to kill two.

However, many here like to suggest that the Overlord's real goal for First Blood is to end the encounter before the heroes get too many search tokens. So you might want them to kill Mauler quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draggingalake wrote:

4) At the end of my turn (Overlord), I can bring in reinforcements, but how many am I limited to? One?

5) Do I have to do all my movement first, then attack? I played with the archers to attack the Heroes and then move to the exit. After they cleared the way, then I moved in the Ettin to attack. I figured that was legal.

6) I got the Archers to leave the map, but I never reinforced any back in because they "didn't die"? Was that right? The only ones I brought back in was the ones that did die...

4) Reinforcements are quest-specific. For example, in "First Blood" the OL player may bring in 1 Goblin Archer at the end of his turn. In "A Fat Goblin" (encounter 1) the OL may bring in 1 Goblin Archer and 1 figure from the Open Group at the start of his turn. "A Fat Goblin" (encounter 2) uses no reinforcements at all.

5) Monsters in a group may move or attack individually in any order the OL chooses

6) Hm... I would say that archers are elibigle as reinforcements after they leave the map, but I'm not 100% certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.