Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor McGuire
United States
Fort Rucker
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I just purchased this game, and I am looking through the maneuver cards for the Sopwith Camel, and I noticed that the only sharp turns are to the right. The numbers on the cards are sequential, and I was just wondering if I am misplaying the cards or if there are not any sharp turns to the left. If so, why is that? The same things appears to be in the Fokker Dr. 1 deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kernel Klink
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't have those planes, but I suspect the rate of roll and overall turn radius in either direction may be affected by the direction of prop spin, perhaps? I'm thinking about the engine torque...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. The Camel turns well one direction only, and by the way, the Central Powers know that. Look out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are absolutely correct. Both planes had rotary engines with rotated with the propeller. As a result of the torque produced, they perform very sharp right turns.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pilots learned if they wanted to go to the left it was actually faster turning right and circling all around--so moving 270 degrees right was faster than 90 degrees left.

The DR1 boosted the aileron size on the left wing to help compensate a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
This is one of the reasons I like this game. The designer has done his homework.

The Sopwith has a rotary engine. The gyroscopic action of the engine meant that only 'sharp turns' to the right were available. It is well documented that many pilots who wanted to make a 90 degree turn to the left would turn to the right and do a 270 degree turn.

(However, I have also read that when losing altitude the left and right abilities were reversed. I do not know if this is true or not.)

I did notice that the Fokker DrI in WoG has a similar (but not as pronounced) left and right issue, again due to the rotary engine. In real-life the Fokker DrI was maneuverable in all directions but especially to the right. Right maneuvers were frightenly good. The Fokker's fault was it was just painfully slow (see the shorter arrows on the cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor McGuire
United States
Fort Rucker
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fascinating information! Thank you for all of your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Machin
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game yesterday and thought I was missing cards!

Brilliant information that makes perfect sense and makes me love this game even more!

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.