Hide
14 Posts

Monopoly» Forums » Rules

Subject: CANNOT FIND ANSWER ANYWHERE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tina Andrews
msg tools
So tonight we had a game and it was just two players left. My opponent had the red and yellow monopolies and would move his houses from red to yellow depending on which one I had a better chance of landing on. Is this a legal move to move houses/hotels constantly? I feel as though it is a cheap thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not just move houses. You may, if you want, sell houses (at half price) and then build them in new locations at full price, but of course this is quite expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Andrews
msg tools
Thank you! Where can I go to see this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the description of buying and selling houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Andrews
msg tools
It says nothing of moving houses to monopolies of the same house purchase price. The logic was I can move my houses/hotels between the pink and orange because the houses are 100 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
tiny_dancer wrote:
It says nothing of moving houses to monopolies of the same house purchase price. The logic was I can move my houses/hotels between the pink and orange because the houses are 100 each.

Flawed logic. You buy a house for specific property. Yu can sell it back to the ban but not move it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Andrews
msg tools
That's what thought also it they insisted its legit. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Horton
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may also be worth noting that houses must be distributed as evenly as possible amongst the properties in the set. You can not load up with a hotel because an opponent is seven spaces away unless you develop the other properties in the colour to 4-house level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
You may not just move houses. You may, if you want, sell houses (at half price) and then build them in new locations at full price, but of course this is quite expensive.

This.

That stunt your opponent tried to pull puts a new spin on "house rules"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your opponent cheated. As stated above, you cannot "move" houses or hotels from one property to another...ever.

You can only sell houses located on one property back to the bank at half their original purchase price, and then they may be purchased or if there is demand by more than one player, they may be auctioned from the bank and sold to the highest bidder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
Your opponent cheated.

A lot of people learn the rules from someone else, not from the rule book. Her opponent may have been taught the game that way and didn't realize it wasn't how the rules actually work. So I wouldn't come to the conclusion that it was necessarily cheating (which I take to mean a deliberate failure to follow the rules, usually in an attempt to gain an unfair advantage.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
A typical example of "It sounds perhaps logical, and I want to do it, and the rules don't say I can't, so I guess I can."

The rules have to say you can do something, else you can't. Especially if it's something that seems advantageous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Bolling
United States
Castle Rock
Washington
flag msg tools
Strict interpretation of the rules states that houses can only be sold back to the bank at half of purchase price, then that money could be used to build houses on other properties at full price.

However, 'house rules' agreed to prior to the start of the game will trump the instruction sheet. Some common house rules are the disposition of funds to folks landing on FREE PARKING, precisely when the game ends, rules regarding trading among players, etc. House rules could include moving houses or whatever, though that would drastically change the character of the game.

CDB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
cdbpdx wrote:
However, 'house rules' agreed to prior to the start of the game will trump the instruction sheet. Some common house rules are the disposition of funds to folks landing on FREE PARKING, precisely when the game ends, rules regarding trading among players, etc. House rules could include moving houses or whatever, though that would drastically change the character of the game.

Of course, but then they have to be generally agreed upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.