Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Bruges (2008). Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, on Netflix streaming. Not fast-moving or action-packed, and not really a comedy, unless Irish accents are as funny to you as they are to me.

I liked it so much I made my wife watch it; she thought it was boring. She's out of town & her mom is visiting, so I made her watch it, and incredibly, she didn't like it either.

So I've seen it 3 times, and would watch it again; there aren't many movies I like that much. Someone please watch it and tell me I'm right.

The night before, I watched a different gangsters-hiding-out-in-Europe movie, The Family (2013), Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer. What a piece of crap that was. It was a comedy, I guess, but after the first 20 minutes I disliked the main characters so much I just wanted them all to die in a shootout at the end. (Or in the middle...) I was glad I didn't realize until the ending credits that it was written & directed by Luc Besson, because I would've gone into it with much higher expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You are mistakenly deeming In Bruges as an overlooked film. It's good and was well received and financially successful for a low budget British movie. Not sure it's as watchable as that, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
Yup In Bruges is a great film, if you need something after your disappointment last night I'd recommend 7 Psychopaths

It's the latest film by Martin McDonagh and should bring a smile to your face. If you gat a chance do and see some of the stage plays he's written, my favorite would be "lieutenant of inishmore"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant film.

Harry reminds me of Don Logan from Sexy Beast, which is another classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it quite a bit - saw it in the cinema and was happy to watch it on TV. It's not Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Down by Law (two films a friend compares it with), but it is a good movie. I'd see it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother likes it...

I have yet to see it.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very good film, but not great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In Bruges is a great film. I think I doubled featured it when I rented it also. It's only slow moving if you don't want/care about character development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite movies - its brilliant

Slow moving? Not in my opinion.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to watch this again.

But I will have to disagree about it not being a comedy - its a black comedy, but still a very funny movie in places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked In Bruges even in spite of my total dislike for Collin Farrell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
In Bruges (2008). Colin Farrell

You lost me at Colin Farrell. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed some of these ultra-violent British films, and some not so much.
Sexy Beast for example I didn't really care for. Snatch was alright, I liked it more than Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
On the other hand I really like A Clockwork Orange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and In Bruges has high ratings on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. You shouldn't have to look too far to find someone who likes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Lock, Stock better, but that movie is probably in my all time top 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I use "You're a ________" with my wife like other folks use "that's what she said".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I like In Burges a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
My whole family loves it. Way to turn me into a conformist. Thanks, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a strict No Colin Farrel movie rule - he's terrible and I just can't stomach watching him in anything. Just an awful actor, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin, Karen, Acacia, and Janek
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
45 Jack-o'-dapter!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did like In Bruges, however, I had a friend of mine hyping it up for months before I finally watched it just a few months ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it didn't live up to his hype. But I'm sure we're all guilty of doing that.

I hype up There Will Be Blood all the time.

Edit: I saw that 7 Psychopaths was mentioned. Above-mentioned friend also talks nonstop about that movie too. Hehehe I'll give it a watch, but I hope he hasn't overhyped it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
All these recommendations for critically acclaimed films as long lost undervalued gems.

Pffft.

Recommend me movies that are bad-ass and people really just don't get it....like ZARDOZ.

The Penis is Evil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed it. I thought the script was very clever.

For a really good thriller, I strongly recommend the Norwegian film Headhunters from 2011. Unless you don't like blood, because oh ho ho, it is chock full of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
For a really good thriller, I strongly recommend the Norwegian film Headhunters from 2011. Unless you don't like blood, because oh ho ho, it is chock full of it.

It's on netflix streaming! Watching this soon!

Edit: Watched! This was good! Thanks for the recommendation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I also recommend GOING to Bruges. Chocolate Museum (complete with life sized chocolate Obama no joke), great brew pub (Half Moon), quaint as all get out and

Spoiler (click to reveal)
you can say you climbed the tower without having a heart attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw In Bruges at the cinema back in 2008. It was very good.. I rated it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
wow Mainstream moviegoers are put off by spare, understated films like In Bruges. Mostly because they fail to provide the comfort cushion American audiences have come to expect (referred to by a former thesis advisor of mine as "the Expository Lump"). I quite liked it, and along those same lines would recommend The American with George Clooney. The screenplay is a brilliant example of minimalism...the film unfolds using only a few lines of dialog, relying on the visuals the relate the tale. Like In Bruges, though, The American receives a very tepid reception from most peeps. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.