Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Faction card packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibor Corbett
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
One thing I find myself wishing for, is more named ships that would make use of the existing models.

E.g. Galaxy class "Yamato".
Vorcha class "Bortas"
Variety of Klingon Bird of Prey (including HMS Bounty and Kruge)

Would anything in Wizkids history of how they have marketed past games indicate they might eventually release faction upgrade packs containing multiple alternate ship cards? Also throwing in some named captians e.g. Kruge + crew to go with the ships?

The only non-card components in such a pack would be the cardboard bases required for each named ship - As everyone already has a pile of movement dials and the various tokens needed to play.

This would make it very cheap for them to pump out such packs - and it would greatly increase the variety of options availabe to players - which is one of the main reasons we STAW players prefer this game over X-Wing...

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Progressive Gamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They would make more money just selling new ships. The same way they are doing now. I don't see them making card packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Would love it to happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see it as well. I'd line up for card packs, whereas at this point, with 33 ships in the combined fleet, I really don't see myself buying too many more ships (just single examples of ones I don't yet have). So, if WK went this way, they'd make more money off of me than they stand to make if they only issue model repaints. Of course, I may be in the minority, so who knows if it makes sense to WK in the context of the entire STAW market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibor Corbett
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
What impact do you think such packs could have upon the meta?

I see it opening up a few options:

1) It would make single-class multi-ship builds viable. E.g. USS Excelsior, USS Melbourne, USS Hood and/or Enterprise B being fielded as a multi-excelsior fleet. At the moment, I only see these sorts of builds being viable with triple generic Vorchas, and the generic nature of such a fleet is kinda missing the point of multiple named ships (with potentially synergystic abilities between ships of the same class?)

2) It would enable factions to be re-balanced against each other in a calculated broad stroke. E.g. If after the Collective campaign, the borg are still considered OP... treat the other factions to a range of more efficient options to make them balanced again. Much playtesting would be needed... but it would be an opportunity to silence the single main complain that currently exists from the player base.

3) Make some of the small-release factions playable and dud ships worthwhile. E.g. A species pack could contain not only a Bioship Beta... but a Gamma and Delta as well! Boom! Species are now viable as a faction pure fleet! Watch those Bioship Alphas fly off the shelf!
Offer a Nova class (USS Rhode Island? USS Nova?) with an ability suited to torpedo boating... suddenly the Equinox model is/was worth buying!
Maybe sprinkle some tech slots here and there...

It would be a product that would give us a reason to get excited about the ship models already available - all over again!
A product that helps sell other product???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think multiple named ships using the same model will be an eventuality since Wizkids likely plans on supporting this game for awhile.

A card "pack" would be kind of neat but that would likely mess up releases since you would get a bunch of named ones in a single go.

We all just need to be patient until the new releases come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
350s10 wrote:
They would make more money just selling new ships. The same way they are doing now. I don't see them making card packs.

Not necessarily. Problem with making a new model packs with repeat miniatures is that Wizkids ends up requiring a lot more manpower in manufacturing or extremely good demand planning to keep everything in stock.

It also makes things a lot harder on retailers as they start requiring a lot of shelf/wall space for what would actually make the game look like a dud to a potential recruit. Last thing anyone wants to see in a game they are looking at is what appears at first glance to be a large quantity of the same product sitting there as most people won't take the time to look at each ship name.

Card packs don't have most of these problems, they don't have the issue with painting time sink in manufacturing. They wouldn't require a lot of space for a retailer. And they wouldn't make the Attack wing look cluttered with a bunch of the same ship-type.

I think Wings of Glory suffers very badly from this as from a new player perspective you just see this wall of fighter boxes and very little clue as to what is the difference between the boxes of the same type but different paint job.

MaximumDT wrote:

I think multiple named ships using the same model will be an eventuality since Wizkids likely plans on supporting this game for awhile.

A card "pack" would be kind of neat but that would likely mess up releases since you would get a bunch of named ones in a single go.

They don't have to release them all in one go. Maybe switch between 3 card packs and 3 ship models each month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:

Patience is a quality always in short supply among gamers. I'm actually in a "good news/bad news" place for this game right now. The bad news is I don't care at all about Voyager (including the Borg) or Enterprise, so I've got very little to be excited about for the next few releases listed. The good news is that I'm going to be broke for a while (dang car), so I don't have much money to spend anyway.

Still, I am very much hoping for new named ships of existing molds to eventually be released.

USS São Paulo with a Captain Dax and new Sisko, and a Dr Bashir crew card please.

USS Phoenix with Captain Ben Maxwell.

USS Bellephoron with Admiral Bill Ross.

USS Enterprise B with Captain Harriman, for those of us needing a complete alphabet.

USS Lexington with Commodore Wesley, and an Ultimate Computer scenario.

The D7 Klothos with Captains Kor and Kang, and Mara as a crew upgrade.

A Romulan D7 Battlecruiser with the Female Commander and Sub-Commander tal.

So many more doubles possible, I'm just hoping the game stays popular long enough to see them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not going to see card only packs get released for the game. It just doesn't fit in with the business plan for the game.

What you will see is that once they run our of new ship models to release, they will start reusing ships with new cards or as different named versions. We will likely see a Sao Paulo and Vigilant expansion someday (we're already getting a mirror universe Defiant later this year). There are countless Bird of Prey named ships that they can eventually release (they already have like 9 different ones in Heroclix). I just think that they will spread them out and try to make use of as many of the existing models that they already have before we really start to see ships being reused with new names. They have already started to with the OP Prize ships though, so it will happen, it just will take some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No And No Again
msg tools
This game seems set up to drive sales of chunks of plastic, not flimsy bits of card, so I doubt they're going to give you a way to opt out of having to do that. I mean hell, they've even convinced people that you have to buy a whole new supplement, and a miniature ship you may never use, just for permission to use a second instance of a rule you've already bought. Can you imagine the hysterical laughter there must be at Wizkids board meetings over how dopey we are for falling for this? Games Workshop must lie awake at night seething with envy over this level of diabolical genius.

So yeah, I doubt they'll sell packs of just rules any time soon. Love to be proved wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
350s10 wrote:

I would actually think from a margins perspective a pack of cards and die cut counters would be more profitable than the clamshell expansions with the models and everything. However I think it could cause product line confusion and difficulty keeping all the right SKUs in stock at the retail level to basically have expansions, and then "expansions of expansions."

The idea might honestly work better as OP prizes/rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Isn't this what the Blind Buy Boosters for the Collective OP are doing? Selling new versions of currently existing sculpts, but as blind buys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
RogueThirteen wrote:

Isn't this what the Blind Buy Boosters for the Collective OP are doing? Selling new versions of currently existing sculpts, but as blind buys?

That's the speculation, but I think what the OP is proposing is an expansion to the expansions that would assume you had the models(s) and just have new variant base tokens/cards/captains/upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

That's the speculation, but I think what the OP is proposing is an expansion to the expansions that would assume you had the models(s) and just have new variant base tokens/cards/captains/upgrades.

True, but I assume the fact that they are selling such things with reused miniatures means that they won't be selling such things as standalone product without the miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
RogueThirteen wrote:
alepperd wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

True, but I assume the fact that they are selling such things with reused miniatures means that they won't be selling such things as standalone product without the miniatures.

I doubt they'll do it, as well. Like I said, having an "expansion to an expansion" would just create product line confusion. I think a full retail package of a different named ship complete with a reprint of the model is more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's a rumor. All they've said is that the blind buy boosters have "new content" and that somehow got interpreted as old sculpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

I had to scratch my head when I read that the first time before I remembered "OP" has two (three!) meanings. Confusing!

I definitely can't see them wanting to sell just the cards for something, when they could put a pre-existing model in and charge $15 instead of... $5 or whatever they'd price just cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.