Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Board game Shop in Essex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I will be visiting family in July this year and wanted to know of any good board game shops.

Not online ones but actual places of business. I'm hoping to pick up Mr Jack Pocket as I can't get it in New Zealand and maybe dome other games I can't get.

Cheers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Essex is pretty sparse unfortunately. There are a couple of comic book stores knocking around with the occasional game, but nothing really great.

You're time would be better spent jumping on a train into Central London. Depending on where in Essex you will be, you're only looking at max 45mins, or as little as 20mins.

James
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also a number of clubs in Essex if you fancy an evening's gaming. Just off the top of my head I know of Upminster, Chelmsford, Southend and I believe that Epping are still going. If you need contacts try the UK Guild for club listings etc.

As James said - no shops per se in Essex and in fact London is also sparse, as this country just seems to struggle to maintain active shops that can survive in this economic climate. Perhaps an on-line order with home delivery or a pick up in London if using Boardgameguru (Paul attends London On Board).

Enjoy our glorious country and particularly, God's Own County.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
http://www.innersanctumcollectibles.com/
http://www.orcsnest.com

Hi

I don't know of any specialist stores in Essex but I do know of a few just outside. There are a few in London. The one I tend to go to when in London is The Orcs Nest. This is quite central and relatively easy to get to. The other is in Cambridge. It is called inner santum. I have only been a few times but that has loads of stuff as well. I suppose it depends what side of Essex you will be visiting.

I have pasted the web addresses above.

I hope this helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If there is anything specific that you are after, you might do best to order it online in advance to be sent to your family. We have some excellent games shops in the UK, but they don't stock everything...

Susie_Cat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody, might be best to do as some of you have said and order online to get sent to family home.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus games In Rayleigh is in Essex.

It's a small shop, but it is specialist.

Much larger is Wayland games in Hockey (also in Essex last time I checked).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Nexus games In Rayleigh is in Essex.

It's a small shop, but it is specialist.


Ah, I was racking my brain to remember where that one was. We popped in once and were pretty disappointed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends where you'll be in Essex

As noted above there is Gamerz Nexus in Rayleigh and Wayland Games* in Hockley - both (relatively) accessible from Southend, Basildon, and Chemsford.
Wayland Games is mainly into miniatures and CCG but has some board game interest.
Branches of Ace comics (including the one in Southend) have a small selection of games

all of these can get stuff to order (especially if it is wholesaled by Esdevium)

Otherwise you may be better going "oop to London" for Orcs Nest or Leisure Games (LG has the widest selection of stock)

As for playing games
Monday night is board games night at Gamerz Nexus
Tuesday night at Chelmsford Games Club
Thursday at Southend and Phoenix (Upminster) (and Finchley Games Club)
Also a little boardgaming at Wayland - not sure which evening
There's also a Colchester group
(edit) Oh, and "London on Board" has many meetings in various parts of Central London - but you may need to book in advance as several of them are at capacity.

Other evenings for MtG, Netrunner, GoT, D+D at Nexus and Wayland (and a different Chelmsford group)

I know of nothing in Harlow, Brentwood, and Basildon or the North of the County.
(If you are to the North, Cambridge may be your nearest hope … I believe there are a couple of decent shops there also)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
Depends where you'll be in Essex

As noted above there is Gamerz Nexus in Rayleigh and Wayland Games* in Hockley - both (relatively) accessible from Southend, Basildon, and Chemsford.
Wayland Games is mainly into miniatures and CCG but has some board game interest.
Branches of Ace comics (including the one in Southend) have a small selection of games

all of these can get stuff to order (especially if it is wholesaled by Esdevium)

Otherwise you may be better going "oop to London" for Orcs Nest or Leisure Games (LG has the widest selection of stock)

As for playing games
Monday night is board games night at Gamerz Nexus
Tuesday night at Chelmsford Games Club
Thursday at Southend and Phoenix (Upminster) (and Finchley Games Club)
Also a little boardgaming at Wayland - not sure which evening
There's also a Colchester group
(edit) Oh, and "London on Board" has many meetings in various parts of Central London - but you may need to book in advance as several of them are at capacity.

Other evenings for MtG, Netrunner, GoT, D+D at Nexus and Wayland (and a different Chelmsford group)

I know of nothing in Harlow, Brentwood, and Basildon or the North of the County.
(If you are to the North, Cambridge may be your nearest hope … I believe there are a couple of decent shops there also)
No games shops in Basildon, apart from the usual chain stores that stock family games. There used to be one donkeys years ago, but that moved, moved again then vanished.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Nexus games In Rayleigh is in Essex.

It's a small shop, but it is specialist.


Ah, I was racking my brain to remember where that one was. We popped in once and were pretty disappointed.
Gamerz Nexus (the correct spelling) is very small. There is also a game shop in southend (down behind the blue Boar apparently) that operates out of a warehouse or somesuch, but as far as I know it is a case of a bloke that gets stuff in for his mates type of set up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst trying to find teh address of teh one behind the Blue boar I found this one.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Gillatt-Games/033526911130389500...

Never even noticed it before (and I must go past it once a week on the way to a game night), So I am thinking it's small.

I'll have a recce on Thursday.

Addendum

This may explain why I have never heard of it.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/2012973.my_club_beat_the_bul...

I am thinking it went west years ago.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
I know of nothing in Harlow

Marquee Models in Harlow (http://www.mmodels.co.uk) has a small stock.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in Basildon but can travel to London or around essex.

What I'm really hoping to get is Mr Jack Pocket as it is not available in NZ. Anybody seen it around in Essex/London?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's apparently in at the moment at http://www.leisuregames.com
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
Just off the top of my head I know of Upminster, Chelmsford, Southend and I believe that Epping are still going.


I'm disappointed that Colchester Board Games Club is not also taking up space on the top of your head!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Whilst trying to find teh address of teh one behind the Blue boar I found this one.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Gillatt-Games/033526911130389500...

Never even noticed it before (and I must go past it once a week on the way to a game night), So I am thinking it's small.

I'll have a recce on Thursday.

Addendum

This may explain why I have never heard of it.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/2012973.my_club_beat_the_bul...

I am thinking it went west years ago.
Yep, not the anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
girvatron wrote:
I'll be in Basildon but can travel to London or around essex.

What I'm really hoping to get is Mr Jack Pocket as it is not available in NZ. Anybody seen it around in Essex/London?
If you are in Basildon.

Go the the central bus station and jump on the number 25 to Southend, ask to get off at Raleigh station.

Gamerz Nexus is within spitting distance of teh bus stop (get of the bus and turn left), to get back to Bas you will have to use the bus stop opposite Gamerz Nexus (not teh one actually in the station forecourt).

To get to Wayland you will have to catch the number 7 or 8 , these stop at the bus stop in Rayleigh stations forecourt, (or catch the train from Rayleigh) and get of at Hockley.

Alternatively get the train in Basildon, get off at southend central and get another train at Southend Victoria (at the top of the high street). You can pop into the works to see if they have any games on the way past.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Han Shot First wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:
Just off the top of my head I know of Upminster, Chelmsford, Southend and I believe that Epping are still going.


I'm disappointed that Colchester Board Games Club is not also taking up space on the top of your head!


Guilty! Mea culpa.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to find us in Chelmsford on Tuesdays, see

http://www.mnemosyne.demon.co.uk/ttngc/index.htm

I might emphasise the 7:00 start a bit more than that does. We still do try to handle 8:00 arrivals, but it definitely helps to let us know if that's your plan. Drop me a line in that case.

In case it isn't crystal clear, we always want new people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Rod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Dearlove wrote:
If you want to find us in Chelmsford on Tuesdays, see

http://www.mnemosyne.demon.co.uk/ttngc/index.htm

I might emphasise the 7:00 start a bit more than that does. We still do try to handle 8:00 arrivals, but it definitely helps to let us know if that's your plan. Drop me a line in that case.

In case it isn't crystal clear, we always want new people.


Hi

Does the Chelmsfrod club still meet in the Queen's Head?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I just found this thread from before my time here when someone else necro'ed it

This might still be useful to some of you in this thread though so here goes...

I'm in Basildon and recently opened an online board game store. It's online only, but you do have the option to collect your order in person from us. If you're very local, there is a chance we could drop it off to you too

www.TheBoardGameHut.co.uk

Russ
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bongo_clive wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
If you want to find us in Chelmsford on Tuesdays, see

http://www.mnemosyne.demon.co.uk/ttngc/index.htm

I might emphasise the 7:00 start a bit more than that does. We still do try to handle 8:00 arrivals, but it definitely helps to let us know if that's your plan. Drop me a line in that case.

In case it isn't crystal clear, we always want new people.


Hi

Does the Chelmsfrod club still meet in the Queen's Head?


We have now moved to
Quote:
the Plough, 28 Duke Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1HY

We will be meeting tonight
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe my old thread got revived. Anyway I have now moved and live in Basildon now, made the long journey with my wife to settle and start life in the UK. Will definetly check out your site.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
girvatron wrote:
Can't believe my old thread got revived. Anyway I have now moved and live in Basildon now, made the long journey with my wife to settle and start life in the UK. Will definetly check out your site.
Wayland now have a branch in Southend (where GW used to me) opposite Victoria plaza.

Get the train from Basildon, get of at Southend Central and walk up the high street towards Southend Victoria station. You cannot miss Vic plaza and take the right hand street (Southchurch Road).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.