Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Take Cover and other actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some actions seem to have a longer lasting effect such as "take cover". However, Action die are moved to the used pile at the end of your turn. What am I missing here? other action cards will specifically say things like "this turn" or "until the end of your turn". So will take cover last till all heroes who are fielded when it is used die, till the end of game, is it stackable?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Alvin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
you can use Basic Action Dice at any time AFTER the re-roll step during your turn. at the end of your turn, any un-used basic actions go to the used pile. the effects last until the end of your turn (the clean up) and from what i understand they are stackable.

you can use them (for lack of a better term) like Instants in magic. declare attackers, let your opponent declare blockers, then use the action (BEFORE damage is dealt) which lasts until end of turn.

If you attack with a 1/1 and your opponents blocks with a 2/2, you can then use a take cover and turn your 1/1 to a 1/3 keeping it alive and returning it to the field zone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Briggs
msg tools
Yeah, but Take Cover is kind of silly. Play an action that nets me D on my turn, you know for the attack. Might make my character survive if you block, but as a theme, feels like it should be used for defense, you know when opponent attacks. Not arguing rules, just stating that it feels weird.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I save a spot at the top of my used pile for basic actions that are in effect that turn. Also handy to put the dice next to characters in the field that they affect, you just have to remember to more them to the used pile at the end of the turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NewPalpatine wrote:
Yeah, but Take Cover is kind of silly. Play an action that nets me D on my turn, you know for the attack. Might make my character survive if you block, but as a theme, feels like it should be used for defense, you know when opponent attacks. Not arguing rules, just stating that it feels weird.


I agree. I don't know what side effects or complications might occur but I think you ought to be able to hold action dice in the reserve area for play in your opponents turn. So I could use take cover when he declares an attack.

It seems silly to yell "attack and take cover!".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So the consensus seems to be that even though other action cards will specifically say things like "this turn" or "until the end of your turn", they all end with your turn? I still feel like this is wrong, but don't want to play wrong if Im wrong. Take cover even has a global effect that takes the time to indicate "until the end of turn". Why would they put tat anywhere if it already applies? If the effect continues it may also resolve the point below as well...


NewPalpatine wrote:
Yeah, but Take Cover is kind of silly. Play an action that nets me D on my turn, you know for the attack. Might make my character survive if you block, but as a theme, feels like it should be used for defense, you know when opponent attacks. Not arguing rules, just stating that it feels weird.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
SirCptnAwesome wrote:
So the consensus seems to be that even though other action cards will specifically say things like "this turn" or "until the end of your turn", they all end with your turn? I still feel like this is wrong, but don't want to play wrong if Im wrong. Take cover even has a global effect that takes the time to indicate "until the end of turn". Why would they put tat anywhere if it already applies? If the effect continues it may also resolve the point below as well...


It's in the rules under the Cleanup heading for Turn Order. Pg 9 for reference, "All card effects end (exception: "while active" effects may continue). The turn ends."

There are a lot of places in the game where they remind you timing (like you "until end of turn." example), and there are just as many places where they don't. It is inconsistent, and frustrating, but it's how it is until a new rulebook or some sort of FAQ is released.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Briggs
msg tools
If they carried over it would make uncommon Rogue better too. Right now, I can only use half her ability as there aren't action dice in my opponents Reserve Pool when I field her.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirCptnAwesome wrote:
Some actions seem to have a longer lasting effect such as "take cover". However, Action die are moved to the used pile at the end of your turn. What am I missing here? other action cards will specifically say things like "this turn" or "until the end of your turn". So will take cover last till all heroes who are fielded when it is used die, till the end of game, is it stackable?


This effect is not stackable.

Basically you hold onto this action die until after attackers/blockers have been declared. You swing in with everything you've got and see if the opponent blocks. If your little guys would die, the use "Take Cover" to let them live through combat.

Otherwise your attacks go unblocked and you deal a good chunk of damage to the opponent.

Once the turn is over the effect is no longer active on your characters.

The most common use for this is to attack when you have the damage enough to win the game. This forces the opponent to block. But your guys will survive (once you use the action die) and hopefully you have more attackers, so some damage will still go through anyways.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.