Subject: Maximum 15 for each animal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Koert Debyser
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep track of the number of each animal you have hunted on a seperate sheet. The maximum is 15.

During the hunting phase, you can trade 3:1 in case you hunt more animals than you can keep track of. So, no problem.

During the scoring at the end of the game, the counters are placed at 0 for each animal track. There is a possible maximum of 21 to score for each animal. Suppose you are concentrating you efforts on that specific animal and in the final score you manage to score more than 15. Is the surplus lost? Or traded 3:1? Or simply taken in account regardless of the 15 as maximum?

This actually happened in our first game. One of the players scored 18 for the bisons. We just counted it as 18, although it might have been a deliberate choice of the designers to force the players to diversify among the three different types of animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User 1
msg tools
Koert -

> Is the surplus lost? Or traded 3:1? Or simply taken in account regardless of the 15 as maximum?

You can trade in the surplus at 3:1 or get stuff from the market right away. It specifially says that you can do this in the Scoring section of the rules (at least in the English rules).

- RIck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rthornqu wrote:
Koert -

> Is the surplus lost? Or traded 3:1? Or simply taken in account regardless of the 15 as maximum?

You can trade in the surplus at 3:1 or get stuff from the market right away. It specifially says that you can do this in the Scoring section of the rules (at least in the English rules).

- RIck

Just for clarification:
1) What are you trading 3:1? I assume you trade the 3 extra Buffalo and get one more Wildfowl.

2) How do you get more from the market? We have played that if you have 3 extra Buffalo, you then have to give up 3 fish & 3 Wildfowl to get a 3 item from the market (or 3 1 items, etc).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koert is talking only about the final scoring when there would be no point in buying at the market. Since I felt it was the hunting grounds themselves rather than the stock being scored at the end, I could see a case for counting all the animals even if exceeding 15. However, I have e-mailed Wolfgang Kramer and he has replied that:

The last scoring has the same rules as the other scorings.
That means: If you have 17 bisons you should change 3:1.
But if you have, for example, 16 bisons and 8 fishes and 10 turkeys,
it is better to count 15+8+10 = 33,
than 13+9+10 = 32.

Of course that means that a player with 17 bison would now be tied with a player with only 15 bison if their other two stocks were the same, but if that's the rule then I'll just make sure I have a better balanced diet including fish and white meat rather than just having all that red meat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koert Debyser
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

@Todd: Regarding the clarifications, we play the same way you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.