Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

18NEB» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can the private Union Pacific Railroad ever give more than 1x$25 in revenue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 18Neb for the first time yesterday and having only played 18FL once, 18Scan twice and 1856 once and a half I consider myself a newbe. That said my question is:

Q: Does the private UPR always close on the first OR after giving only one revenue pay out?

We played it that way but it felt like we were missing something. Any help on this matter would be most appreciated :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
It closes immediately when the UP public railroad purchases its first train. It's as straight-forward as it sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You (swedenguy) are correct, unless the UPR president can arrange for the company to not have a valid run and thus not be forced to make a train purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Justin for your promt reply, we are just about to start another game and this was one of the last things we were uncertain about :)

We played it yesterday too but somewhere around the end of phase 3 something seemed awry with the routes we could make, there were just too few cities and the only new ones we were expecting were the brown tiles of the two local companies forming in phase 5. In order to speed up things I had skipped reading the part about tile laying & upgrading in the rules as I thought it was the same as in the other 18xx games I had played, hence we didn't allow towns to upgrade to cities :D

As someone once said; "assumtion is the mother of all screw-ups" :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex: We thought about just that, how would you do that excactly, is it even possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Choose not to lay a starting tile with UP. A route requires a start and end point, so just the home station does not constitute a route. Not saying this will ever be a good idea, but that's how you avoid buying a train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin: That is what I have been looking for, awesome.

From the rules, paragraph 4.6 "Mandatory Train Purchase":
"Each Corporation must own a train at the end of its turn in the current Operating Round if it has a legal run."

I thought that any corporation that operates must have a train at the end of the OR, but not in 18Neb apparently :)

Thanks a bunch all of you who helped me find/understand the details :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, 18Neb is not the only one that does this, not by a long shot:

1827 Jr., 1830, 1832, 1841, 1849, 1850, 1851, 1854, 1856, 1862, 1870, 1889, 1898, 18C2C, 18EC, 18EZ Levels 2 and 3, 18GA, 18Mex, 18Neb, 18NL, 18Rhl Rhineland, 18Ruhr, Steam Over Holland are all games that the requirement to have a train comes into effect only when the corporation has a route.

There are others that have even more exceptions: http://www.fwtwr.com/18xx/rules_difference_list/single_list....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are of course right Jesse, and I had even played some of those beforehand. I can be very confused at times, to the point that it's kind of my thing :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.