Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a recent victim of an overeager Stark who locked my Arryn house down completely and created an utterly miserable 3-hour experience, I'd like to ask... is there any consensus about Arryn getting a port? I am somewhat certain there is no official word, but do players generally include it?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
We play without a port. Yes, it can often suck if you lose all access to the sea. But you have to take that into account in your gameplan each session. Over the course of many games in my gaming groups, Arryn has turned out to be a decent faction, with less room for errors than some others, but also the potential to run away with the game. To add a port risks shifting the balance of power too far in the other direction.

It is a troublesome issue as I had initially thought a port would be needed when I first played, but I have changed my opinion on it. Opinions will likely vary from group to group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never add it. The lack of port is essential for game balance. Arryn needs to wrestle for White Harbor if it wants a harbor. Losing the sea is pretty difficult to do. You need to muster ships until you have three and make certain you either have special orders or the a prime seat on the fiefdoms at all times. With all of your power tokens, that shouldn't be too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean the mean
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
mygroup is considering adding it because of its location, in our game baratheon aided stark to take the sea (I was stark and in turn I was to take the eyrie but go no further south by sea) of course I wanted kings landing and the eyrie because I had the cards.

my point is that arryn gas two fleets that can attack them turn one not having a port is just ridiculous especially since they only have 1 muster point which we also consider changing to 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Stysiak
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arryn secures the Narrow Sea and ships by:

1) being able to conquer White Harbor
2) supporting Baratheon's efforts to conquer&hold KL in exchange for shipbreaker bay support
3) using his trick cards to secure higher positions on the influence tracks.

with proper orders (for example - no ToB, raid on Shivering Sea instead of defence) Arryn player can claim 2 sea areas on turn 1 which pretty much puts Stark at a massive disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.