Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate the Zvezda support in this forum. It helped me a lot in understanding the game. Since I have the impression that rules went through some little revision in the last two years or so I have a few requests for clarifications with respect to past official Zvezda replies.

Q1. In the moment in which the "Assault" order is given to a unit (Phase 1), the target of the assault must be in the LOS of that unit, as stated in the rulebook and explained in this thread, or both in the LOS and reachable, as explained in this thread.

Q2. In the Morale Phase, units which are engaged in melee combat must make a Fortitude Test to see if their morale level improves? P.17 of the rulebook and this thread say no ("They are too busy fighting for their lives to regroup!"). This thread instead seems to suggest that they can ("all units can check to improve their morale level, even if they are engaged in combat. Sometimes, seeing the enemy up close is just what a shaken unit needs to snap out of it!")

Q3. In this thread
Zvezda Team
Russia
Lobnya
flag msg tools
publisher
replies to a question about Fire and Retreat order saying that "The Fire and retreat order works only against units with Assault order. Furthermore, if the target of assault is another unit, fire and retreat doesn't work either." Since I wasn't able to find any reference to this point in the rulebook and since the post is pretty old, I would like to ask it again: If an enemy unit with the Move, Run, Retreat, Flee, Panic or Pursue order, or an unit with an Assault order with a different target, enters the Kill Zone of a unit with a Fire and Retreat order, the latter unit does not fire and cannot retreat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Customer Service
msg tools
publisher
mb
Hello!

Glad that I can be of assistance!

I have discussed your questions with our design team, and these are the answers I was given:

1. This rule was clarified in the most recent version of the rulebook (see p. 10). You can download it here: http://samurai-battles.com/scenarios/

When you issue the Assault order to a unit, you must target an enemy unit that you wish to attack in melee. That enemy unit must be in LOS AND close enough that the assaulting unit can reach an adjacent hex this turn. The distance is only checked when you issue the order, so it is possible that your target could move away, preventing your assaulting unit from reaching it.

2. Sorry for the confusion on this one. We had contradictory rulings from the design team, so let me set it straight: units that are engaged in melee CANNOT make Fortitude Tests to improve their morale level. Only units that are not engaged can improve morale level.

3. Based on feedback from our fans, the mechanism for Fire and Retreat was revised (the correct rule is in the rulebook I linked to above). Here's how it works now: a unit with Fire and Retreat orders has a Kill Zone. If any enemy unit moves into that Kill Zone, the defending unit will fire their weapons and retreat backwards 1 hex.

I hope that clears up everything for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. Continue with your great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.