United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question (and one that surprisingly, I didn't see in the rules anywhere, though I could have certainly missed it somewhere):

About Fielding Character dice, do I have to have rolled a Character Face on a die in order to field it? The way the rules discuss Fielding characters, it's never mentioned that you had to have rolled the face of a die to field it.

About Global Abilities, does anyone know what the thematic justification was during the game's design for Global Abilities being usable by either player?
Just curious...

Thanks for any answers anyone has on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Alvin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
About Fielding Character dice, do I have to have rolled a Character Face on a die in order to field it? The way the rules discuss Fielding characters, it's never mentioned that you had to have rolled the face of a die to field it.

if you are asking what i think you are asking then yes you can only field a character die if its showing a character face. because if its not showing a character face then its showing energy and you can not field energy (only use it or keep it in reserve until the beginning of your next turn). you can not receive the character die from your bag, and place it on the side of your choice.

you can also only field a character if you can pay the fielding cost. in most cases (pawns or lower level characters) they have no cost, but some have 1 or 2 or even three cost to field which can be paid with ANY kind of energy from your reserve pile.

wytefang wrote:

About Global Abilities, does anyone know what the thematic justification was during the game's design for Global Abilities being usable by either player?

more for balance. the cards with global are sometimes "over powered" if they were by themselves. so if you add the global that anyone can use it kind of put yourself at risk thus justifying the sometimes low cost of the character.

Thematic.... eh.... Dr. Doom is a bad guy and can be bought?

If it really bothers you, there is a professor X that when active does not let your opponent use basic actions OR global abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome answers! Thanks a bunch.

I have no real issues with the Global Abilities, I was just curious about the thematic underpinnings behind that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Alvin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Awesome answers! Thanks a bunch.

I have no real issues with the Global Abilities, I was just curious about the thematic underpinnings behind that decision.

Its whatever you want it to be. maybe all the characters are chilling in a break room and a character with a global brings its own vending machine for both sides as a show of good faith. the vending machines offer different drinks that have +1A or +1D and other things in it. before they go out to work you are buying them a drink and they chug it as they walk out to the arena.

I read something in a different forum a few weeks ago where some guy was upset that Ghost rider or someone else can technically hold caps shield in this game.

Us Heroclix players have been putting an infinity gauntlet on Superman and sending him over to punch a star-ship enterprise holding the one ring in the face for years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. Good to know, Andrew. Having played and enjoyed HeroScape I'm pretty familiar with having to craft interesting and plausible back-stories behind why a bunch of Native American warriors are battling space-robots and mechanical rats.

So I should be able to accept a narrative from this game in similar fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Briggs
msg tools
Man, if I have to start taking out Bilbo holding a phaser in this game I just don't know if I could keep playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.