Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about assigning a random color, so one would be fixed to what factions he can choose from; and then instead of randomization of scoring tiles and bonus cards, a selective method on them for all players? And the faction played (i.e. faction card face up) would be chosen in the end.

I was thinking about similar approach as is for Puerto Rico expansion: first player chooses and places one, second player chooses and places one, third... etc.

I understand that to balance things out, there still should be some of tiles/cards chosen at random, most likely (6+3+X):

2p -- 11 total, which means 1 at random
3p -- 12 total, no need here (or 3 at random)
4p -- 13 total, which means 1 at random
5p -- 14 total, which means 4 at random

The other way how to compensate could be some fixed bonus of VPs (1?) for the rest of the last unfinished round, when there are no tiles/cards position left...

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:
What about assigning a random color

I really don't like this idea. A player who is randomly assigned a colour between two other colours on the terraforming wheel that are also assigned to other players then that player is given a huge disadvantage from the start (e.g. a green player when both grey and blue are also in play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 players, this is always inevitable - at least one of players will have this position.

But you can limit such situation for 2-4 players with semi-random assignment, if you wish:

2 players:
1st one random from all colors
- then remove both neighboring colors
2nd one random from the rest

3 players:
- then remove both neighboring colors
- then remove both neighboring colors again
3rd one random from the rest

4 players:
- do not remove anything yet
- if both players have exactly same neighboring color, remove it
- if both players directly neighbors, remove their neighboring colors
3rd one random from the rest
- if two players have exactly same neighboring color, remove it
- if now two players directly neighbors, remove their neighboring colors
4th one random from the rest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players, I wouldn't bother trying to dodge each other - if they start as neighbours, they will both have roughly the same disadvantage (the board layout means that some colours have geographic advantages anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.