Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Game stores in Sydney rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all!
I have to fly to Sydney just for one day next week but will enjoy hopefully some free hours. Essentially, I'll spend my time in the CBD. Is there any remarkable game store that you can recommend?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Probably the only stand alone game store is Games Paradise on Pitt street. Good Games and Dymocks also have smaller collections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Paradise has the biggest stock but their prices can be high and the manager is... Interesting.

Good Games Central and Good Games town hall have small stock but good selection and space to play if that's what you'd like to do.

We aren't blessed with numerous exciting shops :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Otton
msg tools
Not quite game releated (but close), if you are in Sydney CBD go to the Kinokunia book store, in the Galleries, and also Hobby Co, in the QVB. Both are very good at what they do, and a fun, worthwhile experience just visiting them

Honest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth the visit to Games Paradise in Pitt St just to experience the store manager. Oh the tales you will be able to tell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew White
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to a games store in Bondi Junction today, called b.amused. They have a reasonably large range, some out of print games, the prices are reasonable and the store owner was very friendly and helpful.

There was certainly no games being adjusted after I put them back on the shelf.. :-)

Anyhow, I absolutely recommend this store to anyone in the area, or visiting from out of town. You can check out their range at:

http://bamused.com.au
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Trinket
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
It's worth the visit to Games Paradise in Pitt St just to experience the store manager. Oh the tales you will be able to tell...

Hmmm, that might explain why I always have trouble ordering games from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyTrinket wrote:
anomander64 wrote:

As in online? That's a different (although related) person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
JimmyTrinket wrote:
anomander64 wrote:

As in online? That's a different (although related) person.

I've stopped buying from both people. Both frustrating too the mega most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew White
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I ordered from the games paradise once, and that was back in 2006. Once was enough. Since then I only ever order online from the Games Empire or Milsims. Although, the Games Capital in canberra have sent me a few games I ordered from Martin Wallace and they seem pretty good. I think they are acting as his agent. But my fist choice is Games Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Games Empire in Sydney (Castle Hill). Great little store with great prices & service.
http://www.gamesempire.com.au/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny M
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thumbs up for Games Empire, despite not being in the most central of locations!

Their range is excellent and more importantly their pricing is the best I've found in Aus on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to send a shout out to www.adventgames.com.au

They started only a year ago and have served me VERY well. I get my games safely within a day or two (I am in Sydney as are they), they always have the German hotness in stock before anyone else seems to, as well as lots of cool stuff to pre-order as big releases come up.

Their prices are reasonable, too. Shipping is maybe $15 flat, though, so buy a couple of things at a time. Lastly, I have emailed many times "when are you getting x" and they always reply. I even asked for a game and they went and got it in stock just for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think everyone is forgetting the OP was looking for stores to browse in the CBD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinokuniya

I know they don't sell games, but it is a great shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference ... walk down to the Opera House, find a seat, stare at the harbour bridge and enjoy watching boats on the harbour for an hour. Contemplate the meaning of life, your role in the universe, and appreciate the simple glorious wonder of it all.

... then, if you still have time, do a long walk to the Games Empire Paradise store, pick out a game from the shelf, put it back such that it sticks out or doesn't line up. Repeat 5 more times. Watch the staff go nuts. Further contemplate the meaning of life, your role in the universe, and appreciate the simple glorious wonder of it all.

Edited for my gross typo error and self slap to head applied
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinTV wrote:
... then, if you still have time, do a long walk to the Games Empire store, pick out a game from the shelf, put it back such that it sticks out or doesn't line up. Repeat 5 more times. Watch the staff go nuts. Further contemplate the meaning of life, your role in the universe, and appreciate the simple glorious wonder of it all.

Wow walking to Castle Hill from the Opera House, you'll be contemplating why you didn't take a bus or better still go down Pitt Street
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Oppenheim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires and Paradises (Paradese? - never needed a plural for this one before) are easy to muddle up. Well if you are the emperor anyway..

andywhite wrote:
Games Empire guys would never do that.

FranklinTV wrote:
My preference ... walk down to the Opera House, find a seat, stare at the harbour bridge and enjoy watching boats on the harbour for an hour. Contemplate the meaning of life, your role in the universe, and appreciate the simple glorious wonder of it all.

... then, if you still have time, do a long walk to the Games Empire store, pick out a game from the shelf, put it back such that it sticks out or doesn't line up. Repeat 5 more times. Watch the staff go nuts. Further contemplate the meaning of life, your role in the universe, and appreciate the simple glorious wonder of it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
Wow walking to Castle Hill from the Opera House, you'll be contemplating why you didn't take a bus or better still go down Pitt Street

Actually, many years ago, I did walk Sydney to Thornleigh following 'The Great North Walk', and at the end the only thing I was contemplating was the pain in my feet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Dug up this thread since I'm in Sydney at the moment. Visited HobbyCo and Games Paradise today. Had a great time in both stores. HobbyCo has a small tabletop collection, but I had a blast cruising their models and gundam stuff and everything. What a shop for the hobbyist.

Games Paradise was cool - great selection; the upstairs is mostly RPGs of all stripes. The guy at the counter was answering a customer's questions at length, and I talked with him a bit and he was totally cool, which is not something unusually say about guys that use moustache wax. The place is expensive, but it seems that everything is expensive in Sydney. I paid $12 for a plate of fried rice that would be half that back home.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find Kinokuniya - must've walked right past it today, dangit. Thanks for the good tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydney is indeed one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Kinokuniya is upstairs, so it's slightly tricky to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.