Clash of Monarchs» Forums » Rules

Subject: spring redeployment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul taylor
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think this question has been asked before. Apologies if I'm wrong.
In the spring redeployment phase (20.6) are light units obeying the same "transfer" rules as they are in the winter quarters phase and the summer/fall turns, or can they re-deploy to any off map region?.
Cheers
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

They still abide by the "same theater" geographical limits. Not sure if this is logical, but that was our decision at the time. So you can't deploy Lts from Breslau directly into the German Theater box, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul taylor
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK - so perhaps line one of 19.1 should have "from theater boxes" between " transfer" and "into"?.

So the bottom line is that it is very difficult to get Austrian lights into the northern theater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a while back the developer stated that a Light in a theater box could transfer to another theater box during the Spring Redeploy. I don't know if that contradicts this. It doesn't seem to, but is good to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul taylor
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well that contradicts with bob's response above. It's quite an important point because as I said above the Austrian lights have a hard time getting into the northern theater. But if that was the intention of the designers then they have done a good job. I've not read any history of the kK campaign so I have no opinion on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I took a closer look at it. The developer supported what I think the rules were saying. Bob's take on the Spring redeploy is different from what I would say is the common understanding. I have made a note in my FAQ file, but I think it would be nice if Bob expanded on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, Mark,

My father passed away a week back, and I just can't get myself into the mindset to ponder this. I will note historically, I do not believe the Aus got any Lts into the northern theater, and that's one reason there is no theater box to theater box transfer. I knew/know gamers would game it to throw the Aus Lts into ahistorical places after they got Silesia devastated, which I did not want to happen. So the rules help keep them in the Border theater, and, with some movement on map, in the Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for your loss, Bob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for your loss as well Bob.

Regarding your comments. It sounds like Deja Vu. I feel like I have heard you say this before, but I don't have a record of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the developer, Chris Janiec, speaking to the point in question.

20.6 seems to indicate that LT units can transfer between Theater boxes, but I think, according to Bob, that's a misread. It really means you can transfer from a map space to an associated Theater Box and vice versa, but not between Theater Boxes. This is a case of trying to pack too much into a single sentence.

"All leaders, Lt units, and FDs, and up to 3 cavalry and/or artillery
units and 3 Line Infantry SPs for each Power and its Clients (total),
may redeploy freely between friendly-occupied same-Power spaces
and/or Theater boxes."

I think it is better read, and consistent with Bob's statement this way:

All leaders, Lt units, and FDs, and up to 3 cavalry and/or artillery
units and 3 Line Infantry SPs for each Power and its Clients (total),
may redeploy freely between friendly-occupied same-Power spaces. In addition, LT units may deploy from the the Theater box to a friendly-occupied same-Power space (in the appropriate Theater) and vice versa. A given unit may only redeploy once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.