Subject: Orleans Game Group - Thursday May 8th 2014 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
The next session of the Orleans Game Group will be held on Thursday May 8th, 2014!

Bring your new games, or knock the dust off of some of your old ones!

We start just after 6:30 and go 'til about 10:30pm.

The new address is: The Ray Friel Centre - 1585 Tenth Line Road, Orleans.

We meet in the Queenswood room (formerly the Yoga room) - look for our purple club sign.

Enter Ray Friel main entrance, walk to the front desk on the right you will see stairs. Take the stairs up to 2nd level the room is at the top of the stairs.

You should also bring $3.00 per person as a donation to help pay for the room.

Also, please thumb up this post to move it to the boardgamegeek front page to attract more gamers and tell your friends to come out and play!

You can see our schedule as well as other local gamers nights via the Ottawa Area Gamers Guild's Calendar on BGG - click here -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

We are also listed on the Ottawa Geek Social Club! http://www.meetup.com/ottawa-geek-social-club/events/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Cam and I should be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Any game requests this week?

I just got Smash Up: Science Fiction Double Feature

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
I should be able to make it, though I may be late, as my daughter has library class (also conveniently located at Ray Friel).

As for requests: last week, someone brought Tales of the Arabian Nights and I kind of dismissed it. Having read a little more, I think I'd like to try it if it came back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JiveCherry wrote:
...someone brought Tales of the Arabian Nights...

That would be James The 2nd, I believe.

I should be there. I picked up Dead Panic this weekend and hope to get my copy played this week.

James The 1st also mentioned he'd like to try Memoir '44, in anticipation of a possible Overlord scenario some day, so I'm rereading the rules for that now, so that we can play it this week if he wants to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be there Thursday.

I would like to try Memoir Overlord scenario, better hit the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a fun evening!
I will not be in attendance this Thursday as I have too much ComicCon prep and set-up to do in anticipation of this weekend's activities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
electronicdad wrote:

To be clear...won't be playing Overlord tomorrow night, unless Jamie has arranged something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
CHAOS i AM wrote:
electronicdad wrote:

To be clear...won't be playing Overlord tomorrow night, unless Jamie has arranged something.

I don't think I'll be up for running a big Overloard game this week - I've been busy rereading a bunch of other rule books to get ready for ComicCon.

But we will get one going soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Doesn't look like we'll be making it tonight. Cameron is feeling "off".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Smallish group tonight. I think there were seven of us?

Five of us played Lords of Waterdeep which was a close game with Ben leading the charge right up until the end.

The other table had a two man session of Memoir '44 and did two rounds of the Sword Beach scenario. I believe James won on both occasions...

It got close to the end and we finished the night with three rounds of For Sale which completely frustrated Ben to no end... eventually he got the hang of things - we think shake

A fund night had by all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rjbeeth wrote:
Five of us played Lords of Waterdeep...

Perhaps the fact that you didn't realize there were 6 of you playing contributed to your loss. haha Of course, Colin disappeared for part of your game sooo....

We were in fact 8 people.

After discussing a possible Overlord scenario last week, I dusted off my copy of Memoir '44 to introduce James The First to it, and it did not go my way. All random things being average, the Allies "should" win the scenario we played, having started with 4 more units than the Axis. However, James managed to win as the Axis and then completely stomp me as the Allies. He ended up with 10 medals vs. my 5 in the end. Yikes. I have mixed feelings about this game. I always want it to "be more", as in...more meaningful decisions, but with two random elements, both cards and dice, it can simply not go your way. Darcy beware...you don't want to play this game. lol Me on the other hand, I usually enjoy a healthy dose of chaos in my gaming, so I don't know why Memoir rubs me the wrong way. Ah well...wouldn't likely say no to a game of it, and definitely still want to try Overlord sometime.

Highlight of the night was definitely watching Ben agonize trying to make decisions in For Sale. To funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sorry I missed it. Memoir is one of my favorite games I just haven't gotten to the table in a long time. I actually find the dice and cards added a dose of realism - no matter how hard the armies planned in WWII, things like bad communication, weather etc could get in your way. It also simulates the "fog of war" quite well - in reality, as a commanding officer you wouldn't have a top down view of the battle - you'd have to assume where troops are and that they'd follow your orders (if they got then at all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Big thanks to the Waterdeep table for playing for me while I drove my family home! That was great, and it was a fun game!

-- Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.