Subject: 1861 solo scenario - a first test and some impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week got my Bobby Lee: I was enchanted, as soon as I set it up, the game "per se" is a beauty to look at and definetely worth its price.
I gave the game a try as soon as possible, a couple of days ago, just in order to become familiar with the game and better teach it to my gamebuddies.

The game uses the basic pacific victory/eagles rules' combo I already know, so there's not much fuss in grabbing the principal movement/supply/combat rules if you already tried those games (same for dixie or napoleon or the "front" series and so on, obviously).

I tried 1861 two quarters scenario and it worked well. At the beginning as CSA I decided to give ground in the East (ordering Beauregard to leave Manassas and slowly retire towards Aquia Landing and Fredericksburg) and to resist in the West with Johnston's Army in order to screen a couple of isolated units I sent to dislodge the Federals from Moorefield.

Mac Dowell pushed South and obviusly gained Manassas' Junction while Railroad transport from Harrisburg let the Feds reinforce Patterson's Army.

Eventually, Patterson attacked Johnston with a pincer move and with a lucky roll (3 hit out of 4 dice) in melee his right destroyed CSA left, causing Johnston's Army to rout South and leave Winchester to the Union.

Anyways, CSA cavalry reached Moorefield and after a brief skirmish occupied it, giving CSA the VP it needed to win a marginal victory at the end of the annual scenario (two town VPs won by the Union - Winchester and Manassas - were paired by CSA 2 time VPs).

The game was fun and nice. the basics are easy to learn if you've already played CGgames, as I said: but there's some more to learn (the outflank move in battle and so on) which are some nice new adds. I didn't make the leader change: but that promises to add another nice touch to the game.

Supply is "the" issue, not only for CSA North of the Potomac but also for Union's forces South of it, as there's not Always a road or a Railroad to count on: in example, seems to me Aquia Landing is definetely a strategic objective in the 1861 as if USA does not occupy it McDowell march to South could come out very expensive in terms of Leader's supply needs.

I did like the game a lot, also if it was just a first and solo try and it seems to me it can become my CG favourite. As CSA I used a reversed First Manassas's campaign strategy (leaving Manassas and sending troops towards Johnston, not the contrary) and was happy to reach a victory with that.

Just a couple of minor complains: they coul add even more historical crome naming also the single blocks with divisional commanders. and another thing: where's JEB? I understand he not showing on the field in Gettysburg is a major shame but well, I wanted so much Stuart's block !

You'll find some pictures of the session here on BGG, if approval will be given.

ps. and I will maybe do Stuart's block, there's a couple of spare block I could use, I'll let you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the writeup, Mario!

cicciburicci wrote:
You'll find some pictures of the session here on BGG, if approval will be given.

You can also upload photos to your personal gallery (no approval necessary) and link to them from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
You can also upload photos to your personal gallery (no approval necessary) and link to them from there

thanks, but they were approved! I'll keep in mind for the next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.