Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: simultaneous retreat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just a difficult retreat-question.
situation: I've played a conquest order, so I activated one single region and can move as many units as I would like to from up to two regions in this activated region. Let's skip the fight. The defending army must retreat but I, as aggressor, needs to retreat too, cause of the stacking limit of 8 units in one single region. Now the problem is, that there is just one unocupied free region. Who retreats first? So if the attacker is retreating first, maybe there is no opportunity for the defender to retreat too. So I guess the defending units are allowed to retreat first. Is this correckt?
Thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually the retreat is not simultaneous. While the defending units have to retreat during combat (precisely step 7 c, Resolution-Retreat), the attacking (winning) units are placed back into the region one step later (step 7 d). After that they have the opportunity to retreat if they exceed the 8-units-per-region-rule, as the only exception.
So, (based on your example) the defending units retreat first, then the attacking.
But make sure, you play the retreat rules correctly! The defending units have first to make sure that they retreat into an adjacent FRIENDLY area. And ONLY if there is NO adjacent friendly area, they are allowed to retreat into an empty one.
The same goes for the attacker. I can only imagine really rare situations in that there is one adjacent empty area and all other regions around the battle area are occupied by neutrals/other factions or are blocked by borders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok thank you very much, was a strange situation I guess. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
But make sure, you play the retreat rules correctly! The defending units have first to make sure that they retreat into an adjacent FRIENDLY area. And ONLY if there is NO adjacent friendly area, they are allowed to retreat into an empty one.

This is a very important note. Even if the adjacent empty friendly areas are full (or would be overstacked if the retreating units went there), you must still retreat there. The only way you can go to an empty area is if there are absolutely no friendly areas adjacent.

The only kind of exception to that, based on rulings from Corey, is if any friendly adjacent areas are across impassible borders; in that case, you can ignore them for the purposes of the retreat, even if you have flying units (although you could choose to move the flying units there and just destroy the non-flying units who can't get there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.