Jeremy Larner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if this is typical (I'd be interested to know, however) but in the most if not all of the tournaments I've taken part in, player's chosen faction and in some cases identity has been public knowledge. By which I mean, it's usually written on match-up announcements, or on the screens which are being used to record game results.

Previously, it's never really mattered that much, because you see your opponent's identity as soon as the game starts, and whenever you were matched against someone, you had to play both sides of the match-up in all cases. Now however, with the new double elimination tournament structure, players get a choice as to which side they would like to play, and knowing which factions (or identities) your opponent is playing may be extremely valuable information when making this decision.

Should players know their opponent's faction before deciding which side to play? Is it necessary for TOs to keep this information secret?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe:

a) higher seed can choose only in first round (in next rounds, he plays the least played side)
b) it doesn't really matter that much. I would imagine players would still pick the deck that performed better this day during current meta. After all, there was a Swiss before, right?

A valid question, though. In most tournaments I've seen, player identities were semi-public, so not announced really, but could be seen on TO's computer, or something like that. Some sad, nerdy, hardcore clearly-previously-mtg-players even used that information to quickly switch decks. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought once you registered a deck in a tournament you were required to play that deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
I thought once you registered a deck in a tournament you were required to play that deck?

I suspect he saw the other decks that were already on screen just before/as he registered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I could have sworn there was something in the tournament rules about revealing ID's at the same time before a match, but I'm not seeing it.

I've always just assumed both players reveal what they are playing before the choice is made what side to play first. But now with double-elim, a player could now make his choice based on the best match-up to his ID, as opposed to simply choosing his stronger side.

But considering standings are generally open information at tournaments, I'm leaning towards knowing each others ID's beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jadiel wrote:
Should players know their opponent's faction before deciding which side to play? Is it necessary for TOs to keep this information secret?

A good question, had to look into this myself for our upcoming Regional. Player's factions and identities are open knowledge and should be shared at the beginning of the round; thus higher seeds will know their opponent's identities when they choose their side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.