Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rare Nightcrawler and 10-Health Spidey questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle K
Canada
flag msg tools
Friend and I got into a debate yesterday.

I was blocking Nightcrawler (KO anyone blocking Nightcrawler) with Beast Mutate 666. He claims he KOd Beast before he could block, but Nightcrawler's card text reads KO anyone BLOCKING. Even if Beast didn't get the chance to block, my argument is he was still in the blocking state and therefor is allowed to draw a die. Which is correct?

Second question. Played a game with Spider-Man (if unblocked pay two fists to bring opponents health to 10. Assign this before damage is dealt) effectively bringing my opponents health down from 20 to 6. (To 10...+ 4 attack from Spidey.) It sounds like I played it correctly, though it seems a bit strong...

Any clarification would be appreciate, thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Henders
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
likkuid wrote:
Friend and I got into a debate yesterday.

I was blocking Nightcrawler (KO anyone blocking Nightcrawler) with Beast Mutate 666. He claims he KOd Beast before he could block, but Nightcrawler's card text reads KO anyone BLOCKING. Even if Beast didn't get the chance to block, my argument is he was still in the blocking state and therefor is allowed to draw a die. Which is correct?

Second question. Played a game with Spider-Man (if unblocked pay two fists to bring opponents health to 10. Assign this before damage is dealt) effectively bringing my opponents health down from 20 to 6. (To 10...+ 4 attack from Spidey.) It sounds like I played it correctly, though it seems a bit strong...

Any clarification would be appreciate, thanks!


Nightcrawler's ability triggers after blockers are assigned, but before damage is dealt. Beast's ability triggers during the assign blockers step, not the assign damage step.

1. assign attackers: nightcrawler
2a. assign blockers: beast
2b. Beast's ability triggers
3c. Nightcrawler knocks out beast
3. Actions/global abilities trigger: none
4. Assign damage: in this case, nightcrawler assigns his damage to nothing because nightcrawler is blocked, but there is no blocking target to assign his damage to. Nor does he take damage.


You're correct on spider-man. He's unblocked, pays to drop opponents life, then deals his A damage to opponent (assuming you payed the 2 fist energies).

EDIT: Technically, I believe Beast's ability triggers during 2a above. I think as soon as he is assigned as blocker, even before other "when blocking" effects take place, Beast's ability triggers. I could be wrong about this though.

WIZKIDS WE NEED A FAQ!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes spidermans power is super powerful but it fits with his theme, he will never kill someone, but if he has to mess someone up he will.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks, you guys rock!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this Spider-Man's ability a one shot use during a match and I am not sure I like it. To lose 10 points like that hypothetically just doesn't sit well with me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MirrorsNight wrote:
I see this Spider-Man's ability a one shot use during a match and I am not sure I like it. To lose 10 points like that hypothetically just doesn't sit well with me.


There is an MTG card that does the same exact thing. It has the same reception as yours in formats with 40 life.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
flag msg tools
MirrorsNight wrote:
I see this Spider-Man's ability a one shot use during a match and I am not sure I like it. To lose 10 points like that hypothetically just doesn't sit well with me.


He's not a card I'd opt for – it was a random draw. I prefer the Spidey that forces everyone to block him.

Besides, you could always use Distraction to pull him. You could use cards like Loki Gem Keeper as well...but if you grab Spidey on the first turn like I did and roll him on the 3rd...well, better hope for that mask + global lol.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the other spider-man is way better. the one where he forces them all to block him. you stack your line tell you know you can drop them in one hit and force them all to block spidie and win the game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smat Denley
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Spider-Man: Wall-Crawler's ability is powerful. But it is hard to make it happened if your opponent is paying attention. Plus it changes your opponents life to 10 not matter what. So if you, for some reason, used that ability when your opponent's life is less than 10, you would be healing them. I have him in a deck mainly as a decoy. If you get him out early with a strong attacking character they have to block spidey instead of the more powerful attacker. I would only run with 1 or 2 spidey dice on that card for those reasons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smat Denley
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
With the Nightcrawler card. My interpretation is that he will hit your opponent if he only applies one blocker to him. His attack doesn't just hit nothing once he knocks out a sole blocker. He is awesome because of that, it forces your opponent to block with 2 characters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hamilton
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Smat008 wrote:
With the Nightcrawler card. My interpretation is that he will hit your opponent if he only applies one blocker to him. His attack doesn't just hit nothing once he knocks out a sole blocker. He is awesome because of that, it forces your opponent to block with 2 characters.

Nope, that's the opposite of how it works. Once blocked, always blocked. That's the why the rule book uses the the past tense when explaining unblocked characters doing damage to the opponent. "Attacking characters that WERE unblocked" instead of "Attacking characters that ARE unblocked." The advantage is that Nightcrawler takes no damage when blocking. Being able to take no damage while blocking AND swing through for damage would be a more expensive die than Circus Freak's cost of 4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Martin
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the above poster is correct nightcrawlers ability only work once hes been blocked. that's the triggering condition so he will deal no damage to the opponent. and beasts ability (as stated earlier in the thread) triggers once he is assigned as a blocker. so as soon as you say I declare beast as a blocker then you get to use his ability
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.