Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to stop tsarina? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your opponent effectively pulls all 4 copies on turn 2. how do i stop this? Normally when your opponent goes for a build you have a few turns to build the cancel. But you have no time to stop her.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bishop
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy your own 2 cost characters and hope you rolled a level 2 or 3 when you fielded them. It's all chance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, they can BUY all 4 copies by turn 2. They would be suspiciously lucky to pull all 4 copies by turn 3. Realistically, you're looking at 4 or 5 before all 4 hit the field.

The cheapest option I can think of is Focus Power, the basic action where you can spin up one of your die. You can prevent at least one per usage, depending on the initial level you rolled on your lowbie. So you would hopefully be buying cheap guys in response, hoping for level 2 or 3 and sneaking in a Focus Power to assist. Remember a level 3 Beast, for example, will turn 2 Tsarinas into a vanilla character.

I'm sure there are better hard counters, like Loki Gem-Keeper, but this is the first at hand I could think of.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have to at least be turn 3 before all of them came out, and the odds of pulling all four plus rolling all characters seems pretty small. Regardless, I'd start building to cancel the moment I saw that card, which luckily just means buying characters beyond Sidekicks so you have something to roll down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Henders
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Even if your opponent purchases all Tsarinas on turns 1 and 2, then draws all 4 Tsarinas on turn 3, then rolls all character faces except for the level 3 because they wouldn't be able to field it, then swings at you for a total of 16 damage (4x4), you'd end up at 4 (assuming tournament ruleset), and your opponent would have nothing purchased, and only 8 sidekicks left in bag.

Though you have taken a large hit (which won't happen because the above scenario would be extremely rare), you're actually going to outpace your opponent for the next couple of turns.

You're probably going to be okay going forward. If you play first, you may even have a character or two in the field to spin down and block that Tsarinas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
The best counter I have found is Beast "Genetic Expert". 2[Mask] If KO'd while blocking gain 1 life. * Deal 2 damage to your opponent.

If you can purchase these at the same rate as they are purchasing Tsarina's, you could potentially spin down to level 1 to avoid the damage, be KO'd, heal 1 life (if you need it), and deal them 2 damage in return.

Loki "Gem Keeper" is nice, but at 5 cost you need a way to stall Tsarina till you can get and field Loki.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to play against Tsarina, but the strategy I'm itching to try is trying to rush out 4 Mutate #666. Genetic expert might be the more effective anti-aggro, but using Mutate #666 could mean an absolutely huge prep turn. Follow that up by buying Loki, or the Hulk that deals 2 damage to everything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i used beast #666 to counter her. it works
i won 2 out of 3
he was also using Johnny Storm human torch combo with her.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ganon Dad
United States
flag msg tools
mynameisthis wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play against Tsarina, but the strategy I'm itching to try is trying to rush out 4 Mutate #666. Genetic expert might be the more effective anti-aggro, but using Mutate #666 could mean an absolutely huge prep turn. Follow that up by buying Loki


This was effective when I tried. Loki turning x4 Widows into mostly dead dice is a Big Deal. Beast's help accelerate and at least ignore her attack damage.

Question: does the global on Distraction prevent Black Widow's ability from activating? Distraction removes one attacker from the attack zone and puts them back in the field. Basically boils down to whether or not Black Widow procs when she is assigned to attack or later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kremer
Luxembourg
Dudelange
Luxemburg
flag msg tools
Ganondad wrote:
mynameisthis wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play against Tsarina, but the strategy I'm itching to try is trying to rush out 4 Mutate #666. Genetic expert might be the more effective anti-aggro, but using Mutate #666 could mean an absolutely huge prep turn. Follow that up by buying Loki


This was effective when I tried. Loki turning x4 Widows into mostly dead dice is a Big Deal. Beast's help accelerate and at least ignore her attack damage.

Question: does the global on Distraction prevent Black Widow's ability from activating? Distraction removes one attacker from the attack zone and puts them back in the field. Basically boils down to whether or not Black Widow procs when she is assigned to attack or later.


dont think it will prevent her ability to trigger as she was declared as an attacker and her ability then proccs. u would use the global after she is already in the attack zone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cutcher
msg tools
A buddy and I were talking the other day about this.

I think Distraction stops Tsarina because her text reads "when she attacks", not "when she assigns to attack".

There is a difference and there are characters that have abilities with the latter text.

I don't think Distraction could stop the latter, but does stop the former, to include Tsarina.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exumbra wrote:
A buddy and I were talking the other day about this.

I think Distraction stops Tsarina because her text reads "when she attacks", not "when she assigns to attack".

There is a difference and there are characters that have abilities with the latter text.

I don't think Distraction could stop the latter, but does stop the former, to include Tsarina.


It doesn't matter as attacking abilities kick in when attackers are assigned, while Globals (like Distraction) can only be used after blockers have been assigned. FAQ even uses Punisher McRook (who is worded "when Punisher assigns to attack", not "when Punisher attacks)) as an example of when/while attacking abilities, seems "when X attacks" is functionally the same as "when X assigns to attack".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganondad wrote:
mynameisthis wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play against Tsarina, but the strategy I'm itching to try is trying to rush out 4 Mutate #666. Genetic expert might be the more effective anti-aggro, but using Mutate #666 could mean an absolutely huge prep turn. Follow that up by buying Loki


This was effective when I tried. Loki turning x4 Widows into mostly dead dice is a Big Deal. Beast's help accelerate and at least ignore her attack damage.


Magneto's global makes Loki useless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve hedge
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
i like to use the ring of magnetism and put it on the uncommon lord of d from the yu-gi-oh set that should stop it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.