jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First there was “global warming.” Then many researchers suggested “climate change” was a better term. Now, White House science adviser John Holdren is renewing his call for a new nomenclature to describe the end result of dumping vast quantities of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases into Earth’s atmosphere: “global climate disruption.”

I guess they cant really be honest and just call it bullshit.And to be really honets, first it was called global cooling.

http://news.sciencemag.org/climate/2014/05/lets-call-it-clim...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well one person wants to change the name, not sure that is "they" rather it's him. In fact the fact he was ignored before rather implies that "so called "scientists! (and their stinking European allies)" do in fact agree (overall) with the current terminology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and he first suggested using that name in 2007, but ya, grrrrr, Obama!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
and he first suggested using that name in 2007, but ya, grrrrr, Obama!!!!!

I guess Jeremy finds it preferable to die from a bad case of ball freezing then by famine and flooding. I like my balls too, I must say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I love how the climate change denialists love to focus upon what people call "Global Warming" as 'proof' that this is just a political stunt.

I would like to think that this denial of scientific reality would have its consequences- I used to think that the longer that the GOP wasn't even willing to admit that there was a problem, the more likely that they wouldn't get a seat at the table to discuss solutions. However, I'm increasingly of the opinion that the GOP leadership will fan the populist flames of 'anti-egghead' sentiment in order to get into office, and then, when in power, deal with the issue when it comes up in a manner that best helps their patrons who got them into power while lying to their base about what they're doing. Which means that the likelihood of any policy on global warming will turn into a bunch of kickbacks and corporate welfare for certain industries is much more likely.

Sure, this sort of thing would probably occur with the Democrats as well- its the reality of what happens when you ask lobbyists to make legislative solutions. But the GOP is actively promoting a culture of paranoia for legislative advantage that I fear will be difficult to bottle up when and if they do regain power in Washington DC.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I guess they cant really be honest and just call it bullshit.

I forget, which kind of denialist are you? The type that says the climate isn't warming. Or the other that says it is, but that man isn't contributing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

I forget, which kind of denialist are you? The type that says the climate isn't warming. Or the other that says it is, but that man isn't contributing?
No, he is the kind that blames the 1862 DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
jmilum wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

Commonly, they'll merge both of those arguments as part of a full front assault against the very legitimacy of the concept of 'Global Warming' as a problem which might require we, the people, to use government as an aid to help solve (or at least, alleviate) the problem.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fortunately Obama didn't propose a solution to global warming -- because everybody already knows ObamaCooling is going to be a huge failure that will bankrupt the country.

Don't believe him when he says: "If you like your climate, you can keep your climate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.