Popular Tags: [View All]
John Dunne
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Guys,

I am feeling extremely frustrated with this character.

He is way too efficient in every way, and seems to counter any early offensive handily.

I'm not sun tzu or anything, so I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me I'm completely wrong (and why), or give me some much needed advice.

Honestly, right now (from my limited experience of 30ish games with a limited dice pool of about $40-50) I don't see any reason to try any type of aggro strategy against him, and no reason not to field him myself in every single team.

Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
Maybe the global that forces him to attack? Isn't there a global that prevents a character from blocking, too? Maybe Hawkeye or Punisher to at least halve his efficiency (or make your opponent start paying life for it).

I haven't had a chance to play yet, so this is all speculative. I agree with you that Mutate #666 looks crazy good and pretty much mandatory in every team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madthinker wrote:
Guys,

I am feeling extremely frustrated with this character.

He is way too efficient in every way, and seems to counter any early offensive handily.

I'm not sun tzu or anything, so I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me I'm completely wrong (and why), or give me some much needed advice.

Honestly, right now (from my limited experience of 30ish games with a limited dice pool of about $40-50) I don't see any reason to try any type of aggro strategy against him, and no reason not to field him myself in every single team.

Help?

Mr. Fantastic's global ability is your solution. Pay one mask and force a character to attack this turn. Global ability so you don't even need the die. Beast is forced to attack, you take 1-2 damage (not a big deal) he doesn't get to block or get his extra dice. His die goes to used pool. Then hit him hard with more expensive things. Rise and repeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beast is overrated. His ability is good, but unless the opponent is willing to throw sidekicks at it, its an average cost character with no special ability. In my many games Beast is a non-issue. The player that has beast won't use him to attack with since it defeats the purpose of putting it in play. So when I see Beast come out against me I'm happy. It's a mediocre character that the player will likely not attack with. For the same cost you can buy a ghost rider die, who can potentially give you a 5/5 on turn three...THAT is the good character.

"But beast will give him cards so he is great" blah, b;ah. Or if he has beast out I cant throw my sidekicks at it to get them into my prep area. Well, the player who is using beast is tying up more resources than you. Hoping you attack.

"But then he can force me to attack with a global ability!" Okay, so now Beast's ability is costing him energy to use.

Any way you slice it, I'm okay with Beast being out. It's the opponent willfully slowly their deck down and giving you a few ffee turns to build up a force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he's a great character for the starter. He's powerful but not over powered. After a few early games you will start to see he's not as awesome as originally thought. Don't get me wrong he's still good but I find silver surfer and Ghost Rider to be more consistant at getting extra dice. I still wouldn't under estimate him but expect teams to be prepared to handel him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ganon Dad
United States
flag msg tools
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Beast is overrated. His ability is good, but unless the opponent is willing to throw sidekicks at it, its an average cost character with no special ability.

Obviously attacking with sidekicks while your opponent has a bunch of Beasts fielded is dumb and will never happen, but the thing is, Beast does not mind being knocked out at all. Say you're buying the Ghost Rider you apparently think is great. You field him, attack, and run into your opponent's Beast. Sure, your GR stays in play, but he's going to get another shot at fielding Beast (very cheap field cost, to boot) and an extra die. The only time Beast isn't a good character to have fielded is if your opponent is not attacking or can circumvent Beast's ability somehow (unblockables and whatnot.)

He's very hyped, perhaps even overrated, but you're implying that he's not a good character and that's just flat out wrong.

All that being said, in my experience so far Beast is not a be all end all solution to rush decks. Black Widow and Gobby rush strats are perfectly viable against decks that include Beast, especially if the Beast player is going second. I played a game the other day where the dice just weren't working in my favor. Opponent bought 3 or 4 Widows in the first two turns and I only managed to get 1 or 2 Beasts. On his third turn he did a ton of damage. I managed to recover and win the game, but he had a huge advantage turns 3-6 that he couldn't capitalize on, and I did NOT win the game solely because "Beast shuts down rush." I won the game because I managed to get a Loki in play and stop his Widows from chipping me away after the early game damage, and carefully constructed a team to deal with a lot of different problems.

A deck that focuses on Widow/Gobby early and direct damage mid-late game could very much beat a deck/player who buys a ton of Beasts early.

Also, Venom: Mac Gargan + Mr. Fantastic or Phoenix is a really solid Beast counter. Not only forcing them to attack, but killing them, doing direct damage, and healing yourself. Then on your turn you can push damage or just chill with your Beast-eating Venom on the field until you're ready for a big combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganondad wrote:
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Beast is overrated. His ability is good, but unless the opponent is willing to throw sidekicks at it, its an average cost character with no special ability.

Obviously attacking with sidekicks while your opponent has a bunch of Beasts fielded is dumb and will never happen, but the thing is, Beast does not mind being knocked out at all. Say you're buying the Ghost Rider you apparently think is great. You field him, attack, and run into your opponent's Beast. Sure, your GR stays in play, but he's going to get another shot at fielding Beast (very cheap field cost, to boot) and an extra die. The only time Beast isn't a good character to have fielded is if your opponent is not attacking or can circumvent Beast's ability somehow (unblockables and whatnot.)

He's very hyped, perhaps even overrated, but you're implying that he's not a good character and that's just flat out wrong.

All that being said, in my experience so far Beast is not a be all end all solution to rush decks. Black Widow and Gobby rush strats are perfectly viable against decks that include Beast, especially if the Beast player is going second. I played a game the other day where the dice just weren't working in my favor. Opponent bought 3 or 4 Widows in the first two turns and I only managed to get 1 or 2 Beasts. On his third turn he did a ton of damage. I managed to recover and win the game, but he had a huge advantage turns 3-6 that he couldn't capitalize on, and I did NOT win the game solely because "Beast shuts down rush." I won the game because I managed to get a Loki in play and stop his Widows from chipping me away after the early game damage, and carefully constructed a team to deal with a lot of different problems.

A deck that focuses on Widow/Gobby early and direct damage mid-late game could very much beat a deck/player who buys a ton of Beasts early.

Also, Venom: Mac Gargan + Mr. Fantastic or Phoenix is a really solid Beast counter. Not only forcing them to attack, but killing them, doing direct damage, and healing yourself. Then on your turn you can push damage or just chill with your Beast-eating Venom on the field until you're ready for a big combat.

Would be interested in seeing your deck list if you don't mind posting it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate White
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
In my experience it's "Genetic Expert" that's high on the You-should-probably-bring-this list, as a counter specifically to SR Widow rush decks. He flat-out makes her and most other rush strategies fail. He's also completely useless against certain decks (which is the case for every card), but against rush he's great - nobody wants to heal you by attacking you, and in the case of Tsarina they're very likely take 2 damage themselves in the process.

Ghost Rider, on the other hand, is way too expensive to field to be a viable rush strategy, again, in my experience. Yes, a 5/5 is great on turn 3, but you're not buying anything else if you're fielding him, and that makes turns 5-7 sad. Meanwhile I chump block your 5/5 for a turn or two (maybe with my Beast, helping me and possibly hurting you) while building my bag, or just take it, as 5 damage early is manageable, if inconvenient.

Of course I'm just talking about my local meta, so maybe I don't know nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roguenate wrote:
In my experience it's "Genetic Expert" that's high on the You-should-probably-bring-this list, as a counter specifically to SR Widow rush decks. He flat-out makes her and most other rush strategies fail. He's also completely useless against certain decks (which is the case for every card), but against rush he's great - nobody wants to heal you by attacking you, and in the case of Tsarina they're very likely take 2 damage themselves in the process.

Ghost Rider, on the other hand, is way too expensive to field to be a viable rush strategy, again, in my experience. Yes, a 5/5 is great on turn 3, but you're not buying anything else if you're fielding him, and that makes turns 5-7 sad. Meanwhile I chump block your 5/5 for a turn or two (maybe with my Beast, helping me and possibly hurting you) while building my bag, or just take it, as 5 damage early is manageable, if inconvenient.

Of course I'm just talking about my local meta, so maybe I don't know nothing.

You have a local meta, I'm so jealous. We got 4 starters in town, we can't even sniff a local meta. Still, Beast Mutate #666 and Genetic Expert seem popular at the moment. Even though I was one of the lucky few to get a starter, I can't wait for the first reprint to arrive so we can start to see which cards are going to rise to the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ganon Dad
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
Would be interested in seeing your deck list if you don't mind posting it. Thanks!

Sure. The deck is
Beast 666
3 cost Gambit (strongly considering cutting from the deck)
Human Torch (the uncommon 4 cost one)
Nova (the 5 cost one that preps dice when he takes damage)
Storm Wind Rider
Loki Gem Keeper (the 5 cost one)
Wolverine Canucklehead (this card will probably come out)
Professor X Charles Xavier

Basic actions are Distraction and the one that gives +defense to a character (didn't see any other actions that I wanted both players to have access to, I never intend to buy it)

Beast is a reliable blocker and forces opponents to find more creative ways to damage you. Loki punishes decks that bought x3 or x4 of the same die early, or locks out a specific threat if that's not the case. Human Torch helps provide a stream of damage as well as pick off defenders or push Nova so you can accelerate the deck. Storm takes out problematic characters like opposing Loki, as well as shutting down decks that set up a big combat (Nick Fury or Spider-Man.) She also pushes damage and punishes players who thin their deck by fielding pawns and never using them. Charles is reliable passive damage and enough defense that you don't normally have to worry about him dying. Distraction's global lets me avoid damage from characters that would otherwise be unblockable, as well as slowing opponents down in general.

Wolverine was in the deck as an end game damage stick, basically a win condition. I realized it doesn't work so well with Distraction and I'm looking to replace him. Gambit's ability doesn't seem like it's all that helpful, so I'll probably find an inexpensive option to replace him as well, but admittedly his energy has been helpful and he's a decent defender for his cost. I would only buy him in situations where I have already purchased 4 Beasts and only have 3 energy to spend elsewhere, even then sitting on the energy to use Distraction and other globals might be better than purchasing a Gambit.

I think the biggest threat to this deck is one that successfully rushes a lot of damage early with Widows and/or Gobby, and then has sources of direct damage mid-late game that are too difficult to stop from happening. If my opponent has a core of Widow, Human Torch, Gobby and Storm, it will be very difficult to stall the game out long enough to deal with them. If a deck like that goes first, it will probably win most of the time. The only solution I have for that would be to run the other Beast and maybe Vibranium Shield

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.