Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Actual Playtime rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Hi Guys,

It's on of those questions that have been asked several times but wanted to confirm.

So far we have played 3 times - Revised Edition with expansion (4 players). After around 4,5h of play (not counting setup here!), we always had to quit - however, it looked like we had a t least 1,5-2h of play as we were at the beginning of year 5.

So the question is - is it frequent to reach playtime of circa 6h? Our group tends to take some time to make decisions but it's not too bad.

I'm just curious as the game was supposed to be for us a faster alternative to TI3 and also on the forums I read mostly around 4-4,5h with expansions.

thanks for any insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you looked at Boardgamegeek? ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
experience seems to spread very much with this game. Some say that this game can be played in 2 hours and long games don't take longer than 4.
Others experience games that take 5 hours and they are still in year 4. I personally am more in the latter group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Anduin wrote:
experience seems to spread very much with this game. Some say that this game can be played in 2 hours and long games don't take longer than 4.
Others experience games that take 5 hours and they are still in year 4. I personally am more in the latter group

I was struck with this spread as well. However, after checking the post dates, it seems that the short playtimes regard mostly the Original Edition and/or no expansion (road to Victory). That's why I asked the question again - to verify particularly the 4-player Revised+expansion variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are you explicitely playing with the road to victory variant? I personally like to play to 6 runes with insta-win when I want a shorter game, even though the road-to-victory variant is obligatory now through the revised edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
are you explicitely playing with the road to victory variant? I personally like to play to 6 runes with insta-win when I want a shorter game, even though the road-to-victory variant is obligatory now through the revised edition...

Yes, the Road To Victory "variant" (now a standard rule, I believe), increases the playtime significantly, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a three player game on the weekend and it took us around 4,5 hrs. Was great fun :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 hour playtime advertised is extremely optimistic.

People say 'once you know the rules it's quicker'... trouble is, in this era, very few games are played often enough for that to happen - and there are a lot of rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
The 3 hour playtime advertised is extremely optimistic.

People say 'once you know the rules it's quicker'... trouble is, in this era, very few games are played often enough for that to happen - and there are a lot of rules!

The advertised playtime is actually 3-4 hours. So 3 hours is the "fastest" that is printed on the box.
And I don't play Runewars very often. I would even argue it is very rare to get this to the table. But when we play, I know the rules by heart and need 2 lookups max during one session. (And then its usually stuff thats only in the FAQ or Coreys answers...)
But I understand that this is not the case for a lot of people..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I reach playtime circa 6-7 hrs all the time, especially when teaching.

However, I'm pretty confident that if I played this against 2-3 copies of myself, it'd take 3-4 hrs. Some people just can't handle the Order Card system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 4 players - all experienced we have 3 hours minimum to up to 6-7 hours max. Depending on which victory conditions and which map pieces come up in set up. If we have a bunch of small maps then shorter game and longer for bigger maps. I never feel like I have wasted my time getting this one to the table though, so 6+ hours is a feast for me. Even if you are losing I still have fun, at least inflicting as much damage as possible to someone who is beating me and giving them a good fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think the Road to Victory rules make a much more epic and often more satisfying end to the game, if time is a major factor, playing with the old rules of "first to 6 wins instantly" could still be done in the revised edition. Most of my games of Runewars is with 2 players, but with the old rules, we consistently had games run in 2 hours or less with those rules. I haven't been able to get this on the table for awhile (dang life getting in the way! ), but I think with 2, the new rules will probably tip it closer to 3.

I can see with 4 players it would go longer, though, but I think if all players are engaged in the game, it shouldn't take too long even with more players. The biggest time sinks are the order selection (as that can often be a brain burner) and battles. The order selection is simultaneous, so two players vs four players doesn't affect too much gametime, and battles, if players are attentive, only typically last a few minutes each.

Sometimes movement orders can cause some slowdowns, but usually the player already knows where they are going. Most of the other orders are done very quickly (and you can often move on to the next person while you finish things out, as many times the resolution of some orders doesn't impact other players resolutions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I recommend playing with Road to Victory but to 5 runes instead of 6. With 4 experienced players and this variant, games take about 4.5 hours including setup for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
markino wrote:
I recommend playing with Road to Victory but to 5 runes instead of 6. With 4 experienced players and this variant, games take about 4.5 hours including setup for my group.

Thanks for the advice!

What would you think about shortening the game to 6 years? we;ve never reached the 7th year but were wondering whether it really changes the dy namics or just makes the game longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:
markino wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

What would you think about shortening the game to 6 years? we;ve never reached the 7th year but were wondering whether it really changes the dy namics or just makes the game longer.

The original rules only went to 6 years, and it worked just fine in those rare cases where you actually went the full time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
We regularly get done in 3-4 hours if there's no rules explanation. If there's a new player, all bets are off.

I've found that simply playing to 7 runes strikes a nice balance between play time and the game ending too abruptly. The Road to Victory variant is indeed epic as it advertises, but with the cost of usually at least another hour of playtime. Playing to 7 runes increases the epic-ness without as much of an increase in playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play 2-player, which takes us about 2 to 2.5 hours. Three-ish for an experienced group of four isn't unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a game.
3 players with 1 new player
after rules explanation and setup it took us 4 hours. We just finished year 4 when one player got his 6th dragon rune.
So with my folks its usually 1 hour per year.
Rules explanation and setup took 1 hour extra.

Oh, and if anyone is interested: Daquan won against Latari and Waiquar. Played with expansion and (modified) revised rules: so 6 years, 6 runes instant win but with 1/1 rune outside of homerealms; played with development cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.