Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two rules questions/comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Enjoying playing the prototype but a few questions have come up which have really affected gameplay. The first has been answered: carnivores can continue to attack after plant food has disappeared. This is important to state in the rules as one of our players lost her 7 population carnivore before she even got a chance to feed. She was mad!

The other questions/comments I have:

1) The phrase in the rules that says "a new species can eat plant or meat food" is very misleading. We played our entire first game with every animal being able to attack and eat meat which just did not go well. Only later when we scanned the rules summary did we see that only carnivores can attack. Is this phrase only in the rules for the cooperation card? I don't see the point otherwise.

2) If an animal has scored all its food for the round and then its population drops due to carnivore attacks, does it lose the excess food or does it still score points for it? We played that you can only score enough food to match your surviving population at the end of the round. Is this correct?

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
e9martin wrote:
1) The phrase in the rules that says "a new species can eat plant or meat food" is very misleading. We played our entire first game with every animal being able to attack and eat meat which just did not go well. Only later when we scanned the rules summary did we see that only carnivores can attack. Is this phrase only in the rules for the cooperation card? I don't see the point otherwise.


The phrase was in there for Cooperation and Scavenger. We'll make sure it is more clear in the final rules.

e9martin wrote:
2) If an animal has scored all its food for the round and then its population drops due to carnivore attacks, does it lose the excess food or does it still score points for it? We played that you can only score enough food to match your surviving population at the end of the round. Is this correct?


You played correctly, though we are currently testing a version where you will score for any food that was eaten during the round. The goal is to reduce the amount of "take-that" in the game. We're not yet sure which rule will make it into the final cut.

I hope that helps. Cheers!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Geistlinger
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that the food eaten by the population was lost for scoring (went back to pool), but I found that I actually preferred that food lost in this way was removed from the game - as it felt more realistic that way.

But this kind of goes more towards the "take-that".

I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping the food, but I can see how it might make the game a little more "friendly". None of my play-groups so far have ever thought twice about the idea of losing that food and have just lost it without question or comment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roboelectric wrote:
We played that the food eaten by the population was lost for scoring (went back to pool), but I found that I actually preferred that food lost in this way was removed from the game - as it felt more realistic that way.


For our first 200 playtests, we played that the food was removed from the game, just like the way you prefer it. That's how the rules are supposed to be for the version that you have been playing. Perhaps it wasn't addressed in the rules.

roboelectric wrote:
I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping the food, but I can see how it might make the game a little more "friendly". None of my play-groups so far have ever thought twice about the idea of losing that food and have just lost it without question or comment.


People who prefer the Euro-style game often dislike the element of direct attacks. With the new rules that we're testing right now, we've increased the power of the Carnivore, but we're trying to mitigate the penalty that is served to the person who gets targeted.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Geistlinger
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily it didn't impact any game as typically it was always a plant cube being returned to the pool and I've yet to see Plant Food cubes run out, unlike Meat Cubes.


domcrap wrote:
roboelectric wrote:
We played that the food eaten by the population was lost for scoring (went back to pool), but I found that I actually preferred that food lost in this way was removed from the game - as it felt more realistic that way.


For our first 200 playtests, we played that the food was removed from the game, just like the way you prefer it. That's how the rules are supposed to be for the version that you have been playing. Perhaps it wasn't addressed in the rules.

roboelectric wrote:
I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping the food, but I can see how it might make the game a little more "friendly". None of my play-groups so far have ever thought twice about the idea of losing that food and have just lost it without question or comment.


People who prefer the Euro-style game often dislike the element of direct attacks. With the new rules that we're testing right now, we've increased the power of the Carnivore, but we're trying to mitigate the penalty that is served to the person who gets targeted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. The food cubes are not supposed to be limited. The food tokens in the published game will have plant food on one side, and meat food on the other side. We wanted them separate for playtesting because we kept track of how much plant food and how much meat food each player ended the game with. This helped us figure out how to balance the power of the carnivore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Geistlinger
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is interesting. So have you not run into the Meat Cubes running out during a game? It's not often, but we have encountered it in our tests a few times.

to original poster: sorry I feel like we've hijacked your thread

domcrap wrote:
Interesting. The food cubes are not supposed to be limited. The food tokens in the published game will have plant food on one side, and meat food on the other side. We wanted them separate for playtesting because we kept track of how much plant food and how much meat food each player ended the game with. This helped us figure out how to balance the power of the carnivore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roboelectric wrote:
That is interesting. So have you not run into the Meat Cubes running out during a game? It's not often, but we have encountered it in our tests a few times.


I can't remember. We've definitely run out of food cubes on several occasions... but I can't remember if we've run out of meat cubes. Our office play-style is evidently not very aggressive!

But we just use the other type of cube when that happens, which is why it is not very memorable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.