Subject: Worth getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Butt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this expansion worth getting if I will never play anything other than 1v1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. There's only 1 pod in each faction that's a limit one per deck that is usable outside the challenge decks, and those pods have multiplayer options (i.e. assist other player), so would be marginally useful in a 1v1. If you never intend to play 1v3 or 2v2, I would skip this expansion.

Having said that, I really like the challenge decks (the 1v2 or 1v3 options), and they have one for both sides (light/dark). I've had a lot of fun trying to beat them, as they are indeed quite challenging. If that interests you even remotely, I'd highly recommend picking up this expansion.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interests of cross posting, I'll toss my earlier response to your post in another thread that was identical to this one...

StarkeRealm wrote:
SuperBeardface wrote:
Is balance worth getting if you don't want to play anything other than 1v1?

Honestly, I'm not completely convinced it's worth it if you just want to play 2v2.

Balance has two 59 card "Challenge Decks," that are designed to be used against multiple opponents. The Hunt for Skywalker, has multiple Dark Side players chasing after Luke in between the events of ESB and RotJ. (There's a few nods to Shadows of the Empire in there.) Jerjerrodd's Task puts multiple Lightside players trying to prevent the construction of the second Death Star, or destroying it, if it manages to get into play.

The challenge decks use unique cardback art, aren't formatted in pods, and can't be mixed into normal decks.

The rest of Balance consists of six "1 per deck" pods, one for each affiliation. They're all designed to work best in multiplayer, but they are all quite playable in 1v1. The Rebel pod is amazing, the Sith pod has a version of Mara Jade, and the Smuggler Pod will get you Dash Rendar.

But, since, they've now added new versions of Mara and Rendar in the last force pack, you don't need Balance if you want a version of those characters.

The fate card that appears in each pod, "supporting fire" can be really useful.

If you're a sucker for the card art or want to do the archenemy format in Star Wars, then, yes, absolutely, it's worth it. Otherwise, I'm not convinced it's a good buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Butt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
In the interests of cross posting, I'll toss my earlier response to your post in another thread that was identical to this one...

StarkeRealm wrote:
SuperBeardface wrote:
Is balance worth getting if you don't want to play anything other than 1v1?

Honestly, I'm not completely convinced it's worth it if you just want to play 2v2.

Balance has two 59 card "Challenge Decks," that are designed to be used against multiple opponents. The Hunt for Skywalker, has multiple Dark Side players chasing after Luke in between the events of ESB and RotJ. (There's a few nods to Shadows of the Empire in there.) Jerjerrodd's Task puts multiple Lightside players trying to prevent the construction of the second Death Star, or destroying it, if it manages to get into play.

The challenge decks use unique cardback art, aren't formatted in pods, and can't be mixed into normal decks.

The rest of Balance consists of six "1 per deck" pods, one for each affiliation. They're all designed to work best in multiplayer, but they are all quite playable in 1v1. The Rebel pod is amazing, the Sith pod has a version of Mara Jade, and the Smuggler Pod will get you Dash Rendar.

But, since, they've now added new versions of Mara and Rendar in the last force pack, you don't need Balance if you want a version of those characters.

The fate card that appears in each pod, "supporting fire" can be really useful.

If you're a sucker for the card art or want to do the archenemy format in Star Wars, then, yes, absolutely, it's worth it. Otherwise, I'm not convinced it's a good buy.

I thought i had subscribed to that thread and didnt think my question was going to get answered. Guess I forgot to subscibe. Thanks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rebel pod (Blue Squadron Support) is crazy good in any Rebel deck, even 1v1. Blue Leader and the other B-Wings are fantastic. I run it in every Rebel deck I play.

The Scum pod (Mercenary Support) is quite good as well. It's a solid component in a mono Scum deck. The guy who won Regionals this past weekend with a mono Scum deck used it.

The other pods aren't that great in 1v1, IMHO.

Whether you think it's worth buying Balance of the Force just for those two pods is up to you. For me, it's worth it for Blue Squadron Support, but YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Butt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a no for me. I'm not interested in building a really good deck, though I do love deck building. I just want 3 decks for each side that are relatively even so I can play with my buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the tough thing... all six are interesting. Jedi's about constant recursion, Sith has a card that lets you take control of an opponent's unit, smugglers have... actually, the smuggler one is just weird, but there's a horrifying combo with Lando waiting to happen. Navy is a solid resource pod with a Star Destroyer... so, that one's only kinda interesting. But, still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Butt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
That's the tough thing... all six are interesting. Jedi's about constant recursion, Sith has a card that lets you take control of an opponent's unit, smugglers have... actually, the smuggler one is just weird, but there's a horrifying combo with Lando waiting to happen. Navy is a solid resource pod with a Star Destroyer... so, that one's only kinda interesting. But, still.

I'm sure they are great and fun to play. But I can't justify buying a whole 20 set for 10-20 cards. I'll just buy a couple of the smaller sets instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Obi-Wan (and his wolfman buddies), Thunderflare, and Blue Squadron are all auto-includes for their respective factions. If you can find a good deal on the set it's worth getting for them even if you'll never play multi, especially if you go to tournaments. (In fact I'd call it a mandatory purchase for competitive play, but then again pretty much every release is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gas wrote:
New Obi-Wan (and his wolfman buddies), Thunderflare, and Blue Squadron are all auto-includes for their respective factions. If you can find a good deal on the set it's worth getting for them even if you'll never play multi, especially if you go to tournaments. (In fact I'd call it a mandatory purchase for competitive play, but then again pretty much every release is.)

Yeah, if you're actually doing high level competitive play, you're going to need pretty much everything; as reference if not to actually use it. But, so when someone asks, "should I buy it, I'm playing in tourneys," the answer will always be, "yes." Especially for those fluke ones that use non-standard formats, like 2v2 games. And having actually participated in some non-standard M:TG tourneys years ago, I wouldn't mark that one off...

But... for a casual player? Yeah it's hard to recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.