Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you force a character to attack after your opponent has already declared attackers, or is that something that needs to be done beforehand so your opponent can properly adjust?

Also, if you're going in for the kill, I'm assuming it's ok to wait to see which character is unblocked before you buff them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the opponents turn you must use the global before he moves to the attack step. From there you can't use globals til after blockers have been assigned. On your turn you also have a chance to use globals after blockers are assigned. So you could pump up unblocked characters if you have ways. Remember you can also save actions for after blockers are assigned just remember they go away at end of turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
If that were the case distraction would be useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldan wrote:
If that were the case distraction would be useless.

Good point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused why Distraction would be useless. You use it as an action before you declare attackers on your turn and hopefully you get through unblocked. The global can be used to pull back one of your attackers to save them or pull back one of their attackers to save some damage. It's a great basic action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn G
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I would say based on the tournament rules that forcing one of the opponent's characters to attack can ONLY be done after he declares all his possible attackers or indicates to the other player that he can perform actions. This is based on this from the tournament rules:

"In tournament play, the active player takes as many sequential actions as desired (from zero to all possible actions) before pausing and indicating that the inactive player can take an action. The inactive player can then either perform an action or decline the opportunity. Then the active player can take more actions."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the long winded post

I think all the effects that force an attack have to be used in the attacker's main step prior to entering the attack step.

According to p8 of the rulebook the phases in the attack step are:

1. Declare Attackers. If no attackers are declared, your turn immediately ends (though I assume it goes to the cleanup step).
2. Declare Blockers.
3. Players can use Global Effects and Actions. If you use one that forces something to attack at this point it's too late - he'a already attacked earlier in the Attack phase.
4. Damage Assignment

So the way we played it the other day is after we had finished buying characters and fielding dice we would say "no actions, going to go to attack step, do you have any effects?". If they passed then I could null attack and just proceed to cleanup.

If they wanted to use an ability to force an attack I would have the knowledge of what die they were forcing to attack and could decide whether to send in others with him or just let him charge in solo.

It's possible we are playing it wrong; that's how we understood the rules as written but we have a heavy MTG background and often fall back on structures wee learned there when there's any ambiguity. I don't think there is in this case - there's simply no listed opportunity in the attack step prior to attacker declaration to use global effects or actions. And if you did allow step 3 actions to force attacker declaration (again) are they blockable? You've also already passed the declare blockers step.

For the second part of the question, buffing, based on how we are interpreting things you have no choice but to wait and see how blocks are declared before using buffs in the attack step. You could use effects during your main step to enhance your dice prior to attack (though you are just giving information away at that point) or after attacks and blocks are declared you can then enhance unblocked dice to get lethal damage or blocked dice if you want to kill off defenders, depending on game state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaudius wrote:
I would say based on the tournament rules that forcing one of the opponent's characters to attack can ONLY be done after he declares all his possible attackers or indicates to the other player that he can perform actions. This is based on this from the tournament rules:

"In tournament play, the active player takes as many sequential actions as desired (from zero to all possible actions) before pausing and indicating that the inactive player can take an action. The inactive player can then either perform an action or decline the opportunity. Then the active player can take more actions."

This is incorrect. First of all you can't force attackers after the attack step has been passed. If the attack step is passed the turn ends. So you have to force the opponent to attack BEFORE the attack step.

Secondly, the quote you are using is in reference to when two players wish to take actions simultaneously. It also references the timing in which this would happen, the main step and after attackers/blockers have been declared. The quote you are using does not reference game states or turn sequences, which in the rulebook explicitly state once you pass the attack step, the turn is over.

So in a tournament, if you do not force attackers in the main step, you missed your ability to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.