United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Splendor; it was my favorite game from this year's Gathering. It's simple, quick-playing (yet the decisions are meaningful) and it has chunky bits -- what's not to like?

Nothing, unless you're color-blind, as one person in our group is. He cannot distinguish the colors of the gem costs on the cards.

C'mon, publishers, it's 2014!

Put a friggin' icon next to the card's cost. That's all it would have taken. Really, it's that simple.

Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone with moderate color blindness, I'll agree here. Even with the gems having a different shape, I'm constantly making mistakes. And never mind if the lighting is great. Love the game though, but I shook my head when I opened it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm colour-blind as well, but I didn't really have a problem with the colours on the cards to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked that they used the different gem shapes on the top of the card - I just wish that they had used that same icons down in the bottom of the card as well.

I will have to probably mark the cards in some way to tell the red and the green apart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertopellizini wrote:
I'm colour-blind as well, but I didn't really have a problem with the colours on the cards to be honest.

While I'm not color-blind, the one color-blind person in our group, like you, didn't have a problem with the colors on the cards either...so I'm guessing this issue will have a high degree of variability...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee S
United States
Crozet
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know if this will help or not, but the purchasing costs are always in order i.e. :
white is always above blue
blue is always above green
green is always above red
red is always above black
black is always last

the cards which cost a multiple of a single gem would still be problematic though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbezzant wrote:
I liked that they used the different gem shapes on the top of the card - I just wish that they had used that same icons down in the bottom of the card as well.
I will have to probably mark the cards in some way to tell the red and the green apart

I also would've liked if they used the gems on the cards and nobles.
But they didn't, so I had to do what I usually do (without causing permanent damage to the cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raithe wrote:
I don't know if this will help or not, but the purchasing costs are always in order i.e. :
white is always above blue
blue is always above green
green is always above red
red is always above black
black is always last

the cards which cost a multiple of a single gem would still be problematic though

But unlike, say, Race For The Galaxy (which lists all of the phases with empty bonuses), it only lists the colors where the purchase cost > 0.

So while green and red are both always above black, and blue is always above both red and green, it isn't obvious what single color is between blue and black. Therein lies the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobi wrote:
dbezzant wrote:

But they didn't, so I had to do what I usually do (without causing permanent damage to the cards)

This seems like the exact things sleeves are for. Mark up your sleeves, don't mark up your cards. That's what I did with my vintage copy of Outpost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have thought of this in my retheme for sure. I have circular icons, but I am thinking now how cool it would have looked if there was an icon and then the number like a futuristic display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Concetta
United States
Basking Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobi wrote:
dbezzant wrote:

Hi. Can you please tell me what you used on the cards?

I just opened this game and am so disappointed. My colorblind son is one of main gaming patrners. He can't tell the difference at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Weird our new version has icons next to the circles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not weird, that's awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Pictures from another thread in case anyone looks here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.