AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Powers: Before the encounter, succeed at a wisdom 8 check or you may not play spells with the Attack trait or weapons.

I found that having wand of Force Missle on hand (+4D4 combat check) is way helpful to beat this too many toothed goblin

question 1: Can I bury Grizzled Mercenary ally that adds 1d8 to the combat check? I am really just double checking, I would think this is no problem

my real question is this: Can Harsk use his power from another location to help with the check after failing the wisdom check (add 1D4 +1, with a card recharge)? The reason I think he could help is the wording on the monster power card "you may not" versus saying "everyone/anyone may not".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes to all. You may not use Attack weapons or spells, you may still use any abilities, items, allies, blessings, other players may use cards to add to the roll (Harsk in this example using a power, but he could also discard a bow to add another 1d4) you can also just roll a melee strength check if you have a fighter.

Basically, just no weapons or attack spells by you, everything else is fair game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it was the mage that got the Warchanter, so she wasn't putting up her dukes any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Lamy
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoUrden wrote:
Powers: Before the encounter, succeed at a wisdom 8 check or you may not play spells with the Attack trait or weapons.

Oops, I thought it was the spells that had the weapons trait, ok I screwed up this one few times.

So it is If you fail the check you
1. May not play spells with Attack trait
OR
2. May not play Weapons

and NOT
You may not play spells with
1. Attack trait
OR
2. weapons (I don't think that even exist)

That is then a little pesky goblin. Where's the monk when we need him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Anthares wrote:
DoUrden wrote:

Oops, I thought it was the spells that had the weapons trait, ok I screwed up this one few times.

So it is If you fail the check you
1. May not play spells with Attack trait
OR
2. May not play Weapons

and NOT
You may not play spells with
1. Attack trait
OR
2. weapons (I don't think that even exist)

That is then a little pesky goblin. Where's the monk when we need him.

If you fail the check, you may not play a spell card with the attack trait or a weapon card; meaning both things are prohibited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, a mage usually can't do much with their bare hands. I was including that because the last couple of times I've fought a warchanter, a fighter has been able to punch him to death.

And without a wand, sometimes the d4 for your strength is the best/only bet you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
So if Harsk encounters the warchanter and fails the check, can he used his ranged combat skill?
EDIT: Found it in the rules, if you don't use a weapon/card to make it ranged you have to use Close combat/Strength...
Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. If you are making a combat check and don't play a card that says "For your combat check..." to define what skill you are going to use, then you can either use Strength or Melee. Most likely Harsk's only cards to define a combat check will be weapons. If he can't play a weapon than he can either choose his d6 Strength or d4 for Melee (since he doesn't have Melee). The Strength is likely to be the better choice, unless he has an ally like the Snake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if there are multiple characters at the same location when one of them encounters the Goblin Warchanter?

Does everyone at the location have to make the check? Surely not, right? I thought it would be just the character encountering the Goblin. After all, other characters could not play attack spells or weapons on another person's check anyway, could they?

I ask because someone on the Obsidian website noted that the 1.02 version of the Pathfinder Adventures app is requiring everyone at the location to make the Warchanter check, and I thought that was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jutta
Germany
flag msg tools
Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not. - Ursula K. Le Guin
mbmbmbmbmb
Some characters have supportive skills that can be used to boost another person's check. If they want to use attack spells or weapons this way they would have to pass the check against the Goblin Warchanter.
For example Vika the Pulverizer has the special ability: 'Recharge a card that has the Bludgeoning trait to add 1d6 to a combat check by another person in your location.'
This could only be used if Vika passed the check against the Goblin Warchanter beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... That doesn't sound right to me.

The rules say that using a card to activate a power, like Vika's in your example, does not count as playing that card, and the Warchanter specifically says "you" and "play card." Vika is not playing a card, nor is she encountering the Warchanter, so it seems to me that she can do as she likes without making any check first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This FAQ clarifies how the Goblin Warchanter's power works. The Wisdom check applies to anyone that wants to play a spell with the Attack trait or a weapon during the encounter with the Goblin Warchanter.

If Seelah encounters a Goblin Warchanter then....

If Seelah wants to play a weapon, she needs to first make the Wisdom check.
If Harsk, at another location, wants to play a Light Crossbow to add 1d4 to the check, he must first make the wisdom check.
If Harsk, at another location, wants to use his power and recharge a card to add 1d4 to the check, he does NOT need to make the wisdom check.
If Valeros, at the same location, wants to add 1d4 to the check, he does NOT need to make the wisdom check.
If Ezren wants to play Toxic Cloud, he must first make the wisdom check.
If Lini wants to play Strength, she does NOT have to make the wisdom check.
If Vika wants to user her power, she does NOT have to make the wisdom check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Hawkmoon. The FAQ you linked is for Skull and Shackles, however.

Are all the rules changes/errata in that second game actually applicable to Rise of the Runelords?

If so, it isn't clear from Paizo's site. Is there a general FAQ about the rules that applies to the game in general, and not to specific box sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GI Joe wrote:
Thank you, Hawkmoon. The FAQ you linked is for Skull and Shackles, however.

Are all the rules changes/errata in that second game actually applicable to Rise of the Runelords?

If so, it isn't clear from Paizo's site. Is there a general FAQ about the rules that applies to the game in general, and not to specific box sets?

They are. While there isn't a general FAQ, this comment from Vic Wertz indicates the rules for future sets are meant to apply to to all sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.