Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, gals and non-gender specific xenoforms,

it is my honour to introduce the next Geek of the Week;

Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I first became aware of Bernd on BGG due to his awesome avatar;

the cover of the fantastic Star Wars: Star Warriors game, a game I played a lot of in the late 80's. A glance at his profile also reveals other common interests, mainly miniatures games. And he is an active member of the BGG community.

Anyway, my time to waffle is over, over to Bernd;

Quote:

Hi,

my I'm Bernd Caspers from Mönchengladbach, Germany.

I was always a gamer. As a kid I played with toys like Legos and Playmobil with more passion than the average kid. I was introduced to video games at the tender age of 8 which was wasn´t common in the 80's.
In the 80's I also heard the first stories of some kind of different game called "Roleplaying game", which intrigued me. We tried a bit of "Das schwarze Auge", the best known German RPG, but didn´t really knew how to roleplay. In the early 90´s I met some guys who played (A)D&D in earnest and they showed me what Pen&Paper RPGs where really about. Being a big Star Wars fan I also got into the West End Game Star Wars RPG, but it took me until the late 90's/early 2000s to get a real group going. We had a blast but in 2002 the group was falling apart and there was a big gaming void in my life which couldn´t be filled with video games alone, of which I´m still a big fan, too.
So, in 2003 I heard about a boardgame with Zombies incidentally called Zombies!!!
I thought the idea was too cool and fun to pass up, so I ordered the game with it's 2 expansions available at the time. Being surprised how much boardgames had progressed from being mildly amusing family affairs I searched for more information on the Internet and found a site called "Boardgamegeek".
Pretty odd name, but what the heck, I had never seen so much information about (board)games in one place.
Since than my collection has constantly grown, but is still pretty small compared to many others on the Geek. Also my number of plays is embarrassingly low, but that#s mostly because of the lack of fellow players with a similar taste.
I lean very heavily towards theme and Amerithrash, I'm the type of guy who considers most Eurogames a waste of time.
I love customizable games, even more so with miniatures (prepainted miniatures are even better) and unlike many of my fellow BGGs I don´t consider blind collectibles the work of the devil, but have many times, while taking more effort to collect, found them to be more affordable in the long run than compareable games without blind boosters.
Games like Star Wars Miniatures, Dreamblade and Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea have become my favorite kind of games, but I also still like more traditional boardgames, like I said, I'm a gamer!

Cheers,

Bernd

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
- Someone tried to blackmail me to remove a rating on BGG.
34.3% 23
- I recieved Zombies!!! promo cards personally from the (sadly deceased) designer Todd Breitenstein for free.
19.4% 13
- I cherry-picked a Rancor from a booster at my FLGS.
46.3% 31
Voters 67
This poll is now closed.   67 answers
Poll created by Ugavine
Closes: Sun May 11, 2014 6:00 am

And here are some questions to get the ball rolling;

d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?

d10-2 What is your most played Board Game?

d10-3 What is your most prized Board Game?

d10-4 What is your favourite Star Wars game?

d10-5 Jedi or Sith?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bernd! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Bernd, and enjoy your week!

You state "I'm the type of guy who considers most Eurogames a waste of time." What are the lucky few Eurogames you like?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulations on making Geek of the Week, Bernd!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
3) ...'s your favorite alcoholic drink?
4) ...'s your favorite food?
5) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
where's the "2 truths and 1 lie" poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Bernd! What was the biggest screw you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination of all.

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2014?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
where's the "2 truths and 1 lie" poll?

Not forgotten, I'll get it up as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

iCongratulations Bernd!i
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Well deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herzlichen Glueckwunsch!!

I hope that your week is filled with much geekiness! I think it is fantastic that Zombies! was your gateway game. That is such a fun game.

Here's a question, since you prefer games with a lot of theme, do you find it difficult to get German friends to play with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Bernd!

Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Bernd!

My staple questions:

1) If you had to choose between permanently replacing both hands with ladles or slotted spoons, which would you choose?

2) What is your dream vacation?

3) What is the best gaming experience you've ever had?

4) What is the worst gaming experience you've ever had?

5) Do you believe that some people are inherently luckier than others?

6) What is your favorite candy bar?

7) If you could spend a day any way you wanted with any individual — living or dead — who would you choose and what would the two of you be doing?

8) Early bird or night owl?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Hi guys, gals and non-gender specific xenoforms,

it is my honour to introduce the next Geek of the Week;

Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I first became aware of Bernd on BGG due to his awesome avatar;

the cover of the fantastic Star Wars: Star Warriors game, a game I played a lot of in the late 80's. A glance at his profile also reveals other common interests, mainly miniatures games. And he is an active member of the BGG community.

Anyway, my time to waffle is over, over to Bernd;

Quote:

Hi,

my I'm Bernd Caspers from Mönchengladbach, Germany.

I was always a gamer. As a kid I played with toys like Legos and Playmobil with more passion than the average kid. I was introduced to video games at the tender age of 8 which was wasn´t common in the 80's.
In the 80's I also heard the first stories of some kind of different game called "Roleplaying game", which intrigued me. We tried a bit of "Das schwarze Auge", the best known German RPG, but didn´t really knew how to roleplay. In the early 90´s I met some guys who played (A)D&D in earnest and they showed me what Pen&Paper RPGs where really about. Being a big Star Wars fan I also got into the West End Game Star Wars RPG, but it took me until the late 90's/early 2000s to get a real group going. We had a blast but in 2002 the group was falling apart and there was a big gaming void in my life which couldn´t be filled with video games alone, of which I´m still a big fan, too.
So, in 2003 I heard about a boardgame with Zombies incidentally called Zombies!!!
I thought the idea was too cool and fun to pass up, so I ordered the game with it's 2 expansions available at the time. Being surprised how much boardgames had progressed from being mildly amusing family affairs I searched for more information on the Internet and found a site called "Boardgamegeek".
Pretty odd name, but what the heck, I had never seen so much information about (board)games in one place.
Since than my collection has constantly grown, but is still pretty small compared to many others on the Geek. Also my number of plays is embarrassingly low, but that#s mostly because of the lack of fellow players with a similar taste.
I lean very heavily towards theme and Amerithrash, I'm the type of guy who considers most Eurogames a waste of time.
I love customizable games, even more so with miniatures (prepainted miniatures are even better) and unlike many of my fellow BGGs I don´t consider blind collectibles the work of the devil, but have many times, while taking more effort to collect, found them to be more affordable in the long run than compareable games without blind boosters.
Games like Star Wars Miniatures, Dreamblade and Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea have become my favorite kind of games, but I also still like more traditional boardgames, like I said, I'm a gamer!

Cheers,

Bernd

I'll add TTAAL ASAP.

And here are some questions to get the ball rolling;

Thanks for the introduction, Simon.

Quote:
d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?

A bucket is always more fun.

Quote:
d10-2 What is your most played Board Game?

On the tabletop Star Wars Epic Duels, because of it's really quick nature.
Online I have played over 1000 games of StreetSoccer, I used to play on Littlegolem, but in the last couple of years I have only been playing at yourturnmyturn, where I'm a big fish in a very small pond.

Quote:
d10-3 What is your most prized Board Game?

That would be Star Wars: The Queens Gambit, very hard to get, I´m glad I got a copy in 2008.

Quote:
d10-4 What is your favourite Star Wars game?

X-Wing is cool, but I still prefer Star Wars Miniatures, so many Minis, so many options, it´s crazy.

Quote:
d10-5 Jedi or Sith?

I like to watch them fight.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
Congrats Bernd, and enjoy your week!

You state "I'm the type of guy who considers most Eurogames a waste of time." What are the lucky few Eurogames you like?

Cheers!

Thank you!

That´s a really hard question for me.
I remember playing Kingsburg and thinking it was not too bad.
I like about Puerto Rico that's it's over so quickly and you can play something else.

Overall, I played a lot of games at a friend's house, who himself is also a fan of wargames/themed games, but also plays many Euros. When we were in large groups, we would always play Euros, because his argument was "you can't play other games with these people".
It always felt more like work than gaming to me, even the people that were into that stuff never looked like they had much fun, it's more like "getting the game done".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Bernd, good to see that even in Germany there's someone who doesn't like the boring Euros!

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bernd. Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fourmyle21 wrote:
congratulations on making Geek of the Week, Bernd!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
3) ...'s your favorite alcoholic drink?
4) ...'s your favorite food?
5) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?

Many thanks!

1) Some candy (I can eat candy day and night), Frikadellen (rissole) and Kartoffelsalat (potatosalad) for lunch and dinner.
2) That would be malt beer, I like neither beer nor alcohol, simply because I don´t like the taste, but somehow love the sweet-harsh combination that is malt beer.
3) That would likely be Vodka, because it doesn´t taste of anything.
4) It used to be "Miracoli" a very well known (in Germany) type of finished dish set of "Napoli-style" pasta.
Nowadays I lean more towards Spaghetti Bolognese.
5) Fries or pasta, it used to be more fries, now it´s more pasta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Congrats Bernd! What was the biggest screw you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination of all.

Enjoy your week!

Thank you!

What I remember best and most fondly is a successful revenge in a game of Star Wars: Epic Duels, I can be very vengeful.ninja

In a game before I played Luke Skywalker and attacked Yoda (yes, Epic Duels is a very odd and very fun game), Yoda is pretty weak on the offense, but the best defender in the game. Luke has Leia as a minor character (all other character have 1 or 2 minors also) in the game, but was already killed, which allows Luke to play a special card which does 10 damage, which must be the highest damage card by far in the game, usually something like 6 is even considered really high.
But you know, Yoda has that one card in his deck where he not only fully blocks the damage, he also deflects it fully back on the attacker.
I should add that in Epic Duels you play the cards face down and only reveal them once both players have chosen a card. I revealed my special attack and she revealed the fully deflecting card, I was dead instantly!
She didn't knew the game well enough to have known what was coming at her, female intuition or dumb luck, doesn't matter, I was pissed.

So while the others where finishing their game, I was already plotting my revenge. Yes, he could help, Darth Maul! You know, he is some kind of glass canon in the game, pretty weak on the defense, kind of an antithesis of Yoda. But he has some sweat cards, which attack but don't count as an action. You see, normally you can move and play two cards, which both count as a action in a turn, but Maul can play these "does not count as an action" cards for free additionally and when he has several of them in his hand, it is where the fun begins...
So in our next game, I chose Maul while to my delight she played Yoda again ("Excellent, everything is proceeding like I have forseen it.").
I remained very passive at the start and began hoarding attack cards until my hand was full(10 cards is max) and I had many of the sweet "non-action" cards. So I attacked a either full health or close to full health Yoda (not exactly sure anymore), who parried my first two attacks with a hint of arrogance. But the attacks just wouldn't stop and he would become more and more desperate and at the final card I could play,he was out of luck and out of this world, ah sweet revenge!devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Truths and a Lie poll added. Sorry for the delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Thanks, I will.
Quote:

[q]d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?

I really like simultaneous action selection, because of the tension once you reveal them, but my all-time favorite would simply be dice rolling.
With a card draw your fate is sealed (at least when you draw from a deck), but with a dice roll, everything is possible...

Quote:
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2014?

Besides watching what going on in Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, I'm quite excited that the long promised Zombies!!! scenario book Zombies!!! Deadtime Stories is finally released these days. While I have stopped buying expansions for the series after Zombies!!! 5 (with the exception of 8 somehow), I haven't stopped liking the game and hope Deadtime stories is the perfect "excuse" to "raise" Zombies!!! from the "shelf of dust" once again.

Quote:
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?

Uh, I'm not much into celebrities, I like the work of many, but don't feel an urge to hang out with them.
My closest thing to an idol is John Williams, who's work I really admire, but I wouldn't want to bother the old man with a boardgame.

Quote:
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?

Break the dominance of Euros that still prevails at BGG.
It has gotten better, but it´s still not enough, too many people are still not aware that there are gaming alternatives to Settlers & Co.
I would throw dice at the Eurogamers until they submit, I have many dice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noogs wrote:
Herzlichen Glueckwunsch!!

I hope that your week is filled with much geekiness! I think it is fantastic that Zombies! was your gateway game. That is such a fun game.

Here's a question, since you prefer games with a lot of theme, do you find it difficult to get German friends to play with you?

Yes, if I were into Euros I would have a much easier time finding players here. When I see what is happening at Gencon compared to Essen (which is only a drive of 1 hour away from me), it makes me want to cry. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:

Congratulations Bernd!

Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?

Thank you!

Not really, I´m more of an "underdogs" guy, I love to play someone like a grumpy dwarf in a fantasy setting who hates Wizards.
Yeah, Wizards are kind of cool in a way, but have too much from a show-off/poser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.