Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rtftg has always had really poorly written rules in my mind, but this final expansion I dont get it at all. As simply as possible what are the news rules/special card? You always get the bonus, you only use it once? Etc. Thank you for clearing this up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know where you're coming from. The Prestige rules in particular really made me scratch my head.

This is how I understand it. Let me churn out an interpretation for you to the best of my ability. I implore other players to come correct any mistakes and misunderstandings I have.

Prestige:
If a card has a prestige token by its cost (defense), you gain a prestige point when you put the card into your tableau. Prestige points are worth 1VP apiece at game end. Some cards, of course, can generate prestige (during Produce, for example).

(Niche rule: in the unlikely event that a player has 15 or more prestige at the end of the round, the game is over.)

Prestige Leader:
So why not use VP instead of prestige? Well, there's the Prestige Leader card (the purple cardboard one). Whoever has the most prestige at the end of phase gains the card. If multiple players tie for leader they effectively "share" it.

At the start of a round, each player who owns/shares the Prestige Leader card gets 1VP from the supply. Make sure you add 5VP to the pool at the start of the game to account for this added strain on the VP pool.

There is another catch to that card, however (and this is what tripped me up the most). As soon as a single player takes the card (i.e. there is only one leader), he puts onto the card all the prestige he earned that phase. The player still owns this prestige but it's going to be used as a timer mechanism. If he earns more prestige he puts it on the Leader card. If the Leader card is taken by or shared with another player at the end of the round, you just slide the tokens off the card as they're no longer relevant as timers. A single other player taking the Leader card will then put his phase-earned prestige on the card, etc.

In other words: the timer mechanism only takes effect if a single player owns the Leader card.

(Extra condition: if a player spends prestige and that stops him from being the sole leader, he gives up the Leader card immediately, rather than at the end of the phase. The card goes to nobody but can be claimed at the end of the phase as normal.)

Here's the timing mechanism. Now, remember when a player got 1VP for having/sharing the Leader card at the start of each round? Now, if a single player holds the Leader card at the start of a round and it has prestige on it: in ADDITION to getting the 1VP, he also draws a card and then slides all his prestige off the card.

Put another way: anyone sharing the leader card will get 1VP at the start of a round, but if a single player holds it, he'll also get a card for each prior round where he earned a prestige. So long as he keeps earning at least one prestige each round, he can keep getting that bonus card.

Prestige/Search action card:
You can use this card once per game. It looks like any other action card so nobody will know when you've chosen to play it.

If you do play it, you have one of two choices: you can use it for a search, or you can use it to gain a prestige bonus. You make the choice when everyone reveals their actions (I think).

Search action:
If you make it a "Search," then before any actions are taken, you may "search" the center deck. You choose one of the nine categories on the search sheet and then flip the cards on the center deck until you find one that fits the search criteria. If you find one, you have the option of keeping it or doing the search one more time (but you must keep the second successful search result). Only players who play the Search action can do the search action, instead of everyone, clearly. Also, it should be clear that all those flipped cards that you didn't keep get discarded.

(Niche rule: If you manage you go through the deck without finding something that qualifies, then shuffle the discard pile in and go through the deck all over again. If again you go through without finding a card, then the search fails and you get to take back your Prestige/Search card to be used again in another round.)

(Niche rule 2: If multiple players chose this, they go in clockwise order starting with the player with the lowest-numbered start world.)

Prestige action:
You have to spend a prestige to use this. The Prestige action gives you a bonus to one of the other actions in play that round. I'm a little shaky on this one detail so I'll post what's in the rules verbatim:

To indicate a prestige bonus, a player can either place both action cards or place just the prestige/search action card, naming the phase to which it applies as players flip over and reveal their selected action cards.

I'm not sure precisely what this means. I don't know if the other players will know whether you've played two cards or if the drawback to playing only the Prestige action card is that you can only select an action that another player played. I don't know if it simply means that after you declare the card to be a prestige bonus, you have the added benefit to select the action after everyone's actions are revealed, meaning you can pick one nobody else picked. I hope someone else will come on and clarify that, and other details related to using this action card in general. But in any case, the Prestige action gets attached to and augments another action.

When you take that action (along with everyone else of course), you get the bonuses for the action as though you normally played the action card, AND a new set of bonuses to that action as printed on the Prestige card (and listed in the book).

Other stuff:
The game also comes with a few new card abilities and new Goals for the Goal variant, both of which are described in the book without much confusion. I'm not going into the 1P Robot stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all, prestige is simply another variable or layer to the game. Something else you may pursue.

PP = Prestige point
PL = Prestige Leader

check at the end of each phase for who has the most PP. There is a way to have the most PP, but NOT be eligible for the +1 card draw in addition to the +1 VP, serving as a counterexample to the "if you have the most and got PP that round" generalization...

p1: 2 PP
p2: 3 PP
P2 currently has PL tile at '>' side

I
p1: 3 PP (gains +1 PP)
PL tile goes to center, turned to '=' side. p2 does NOT place PP on PL tile!

IV
p1: 3 PP
p2: 2 PP (spent a PP)
PL tile goes to p1, turned to '>' side

start of next round...
p1 has the PL tile, so he gets a VP. Since he wasn't able to put a PP on it in the typical manner, no +1 card bonus.
Otherwise, it's true p1 gained a PP that round and did have the most going into the next round. The designer explains this procedure citing there won't be any memory issues this way.

REMINDER, if the game ends, there is no start of next round!

Prestige bonus/prestige action, you need to pay a PP at the time you reveal your action cards indicating a prestige bonus. Just line up the action card with the Prestige bonus card/super search card. After using it, remove the card from the game as a reminder that you can't use it again.

Remember to remove your Prestige bonus/prestige action card after using it for the super search.

for pIV$... remember that:
1) you can wait and discard from hand x2 for 1 VP a apiece when it gets to IV. You don't have to do it during $.
2) AFTER trading, do your consume at x2 rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys, the only thing I dont get is where exactly is the 'timer'? Because I dont see it? It is not just simply whoever has the most at the end, gets the vp (and card)? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
dragon0085 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, the only thing I dont get is where exactly is the 'timer'?

The reward for having the most prestige at the start of a round differs depending on whether that player earned any prestige the *previous round* or not:

* Most Prestige, did not earn any on the previous round: 1 VP
* Most Prestige, not tied, earned 1+ prestige on previous round: 1 VP + 1 card.

To track this, place the prestige that a sole prestige leader earns each round on the prestige tile. This is what other players are calling "the timer".

Otherwise, a player who earned a single prestige on turn 1 could be gaining a card and a VP for several rounds *without having to do anything more* until another player caught up. That would be far too much.

Quote:
It is not just simply whoever has the most at the end, gets the vp (and card)?

No. See above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your Prestige explanation, Sir Thomas!

However, I'm still a tad confused about the phase vs. round distinction for determining whether the card can be taken. In the aforementioned example:

[q="ackmondual"
PP = Prestige point
PL = Prestige Leader

I

IV

start of next round...
p1 has the PL tile, so he gets a VP. Since he wasn't able to put a PP on it in the typical manner, no +1 card bonus.[/q]

Is that correct? I would think that at the end of Phase IV, p1 would put the prestige she earned in Phase I on top of the PL tile, thus entitling her to a card at the start of the next round?

Montebanc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:
Thank you very much for your Prestige explanation, Sir Thomas!

However, I'm still a tad confused about the phase vs. round distinction for determining whether the card can be taken. In the aforementioned example:

ackmondual wrote:

PP = Prestige point
PL = Prestige Leader

I

IV

start of next round...
p1 has the PL tile, so he gets a VP. Since he wasn't able to put a PP on it in the typical manner, no +1 card bonus.

Is that correct? I would think that at the end of Phase IV, p1 would put the prestige she earned in Phase I on top of the PL tile, thus entitling her to a card at the start of the next round?

Montebanc
It was mentioned there should be no memory aspect of how the PL works. In your case, you'd need to remember that p1 got a PP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
montebanc wrote:
start of next round...

Correct.

Quote:
I would think that at the end of Phase IV, p1 would put the prestige she earned in Phase I on top of the PL tile, thus entitling her to a card at the start of the next round?

Incorrect. This would: A) introduce a memory element (which the tile implementation is designed to avoid); and B) doesn't make "story" sense.

If you break a tie for PL and become the sole PL by gaining Prestige, that's more notable than if you become the sole PL by someone else effectively giving it to you (by spending Prestige). The rules reward this by giving you a card in the first instance and not in the second.

Yes, this player did earn prestige in the previous round. But, all that *specific act* did was to move them into a tie for PL. That's somewhat notable (they're going to get a VP for it), but not as notable as seizing the sole PL on your own.

Suppose these actions occurred in the opposite order. The other player spends a prestige, dropping into a tie for PL with this player. Then this player seizes the sole PL by a notable act that gains a prestige. In this case, this player does get both the card and VP, for doing a more significant act.

*How* you do something is often just as important as *what* you do. Winning a race by stretching for the victory line and just barely crossing it in front of an opponent is generally considered more impressive than winning a race because your opponent fell down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the explanation! That definitely does make "story" sense to me now - and I really appreciate that because that's important to how I grok and enjoy games. Thanks again!

Montebanc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.