Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this sounds like a newbie question, and I'm not a newbie anymore, but this doubt arised today.

Does the "reduce armor and one attack of chosen enemy by 1" ability of shocktroops only works during the block (and following) phase, or can I reduce the armor even during the ranged attack phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hulu hulu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe You can unless the skill say otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irtranquil wrote:
I believe You can unless the skill say otherwise.

Icon matters. This ability comes with a shield icon, indicating that you can only play it in during the block phase.

In one of the PBF's I moderated I judged so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the shield icon is different from the normal shield icon used to indicate block (that is a black shield, on this ability it's an empty shield).

If you take Familiars, it has a black shield for its Block ability. Why this one has a white/empty shield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's suppose that the designers had decided to make it available in both ranged and normal attack phases. What icon should they have used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
But the shield icon is different from the normal shield icon used to indicate block (that is a black shield, on this ability it's an empty shield).

If you take Familiars, it has a black shield for its Block ability. Why this one has a white/empty shield?

This "hollow shield" icon indicates a special combat ability in block phase, in contrast to a "real" blocking effect indicated by a solid shield icon.

You may see other examples on Illusionists, Atomep Freezers and some other LL units.

Take an interesting comparison against Atomep Freezers' second ability: It also comes with a hollow shield. Can you use it to reduce an ememy's armor in ranged and siege attack phase?

Faso74it wrote:
Let's suppose that the designers had decided to make it available in both ranged and normal attack phases. What icon should they have used?

I don't know. The only "special" effects available on Units (so far) are mana/crystal gaining abilities, which are indicated by a "hand+ball" icon. I remember it has been mentioned somewhere that you may treat this icon as a special effect icon (as the cross on a card), but I can't find it now in a search throughout the rulebook (base + LL) and FAQ. Perhaps in some post in this forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prograft wrote:
...I remember it has been mentioned somewhere that you may treat this icon as a special effect icon (as the cross on a card), but I can't find it now in a search throughout the rulebook (base + LL) and FAQ. Perhaps in some post in this forum?

Found it now, in the game Walkthrough, in page 9 under section "Units":
Quote:
Each of these options has an icon showing when you can use them. Note: Abilities marked as
give you mana or crystals and are considered special effects, so you can play them at any point during your turn.

Ironically I was so strongly against quoting game Walkthrough for rule discussions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prograft wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

This "hollow shield" icon indicates a special combat ability in block phase, in contrast to a "real" blocking effect indicated by a solid shield icon.

You may see other examples on Illusionists, Atomep Freezers and some other LL units.

Ok!

Even Delphana Masters have a hollow shield icon for the "enemy doesn't attack", "enemy destroyed if blocked" abilities, and (in this case almost more important) a ranged attack icon for the "enemy's armor reduced by 5" (that means that you can really use it in the ranged attack phase).

Perfect, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a different Shocktroops question and I didn't want to start a new thread:

The third ability, "reduce one enemy attack by 3"… is it to a minimum of 1?

And on a related note, it is ok to reduce the attack and then still fully block it, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
I have a different Shocktroops question and I didn't want to start a new thread:

And on a related note, it is ok to reduce the attack and then still fully block it, right?

No minimum on attack. If you reduce an attack to zero, it's the same as blocking. You can also reduce the attack and then fully block the rest. This is very useful against elemental attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
Wayne Schulatz wrote:

No minimum on attack. If you reduce an attack to zero, it's the same as blocking. You can also reduce the attack and then fully block the rest. This is very useful against elemental attack.

Thanks a lot. I thought that was correct, but I wasn't sure. And tonight, I was on the verge of my first ever solo win so I didn't want to cheat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.