Subject: Storing Games in a Storage Unit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all. I am in the process of selling our house, and that involves putting a bunch of stuff in a storage unit while we are showing it. Has anyone put board games in a storage unit for several months? Since they are not climate controlled, I wonder what you all think my risks could be?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Make sure the storage facility has a working sprinkler system.

There was a recent story in NZ about such a facility that didn't and things ended badly.

I'm sure others with more experience will have more insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If humidity is a concern, possibly you'd want to store them in containers of some sort and maybe throw a desiccant into each, like those silica gel packets? Just spitballing though, I've no actual experience with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some games in storage (not climate controlled) for 6 years while I was living outside the country. I put them in the large sealable plastic containers that you often see for storing Christmas decorations and also put the cedar wood pieces in it. Mind you, they weren't my "prized" games but they seemed to fair pretty well and I did not notice any real musty smell or dampness. I was living in upstate NY so there was humidity in the summer months. I did though put them up on wood pallets in case any water might have leaked inside.

Good luck.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziplock makes really large plastic bags for storage. I think I would try those for a waterproof solution that isn't as rigid as plastic containers, but plastic tubs of course would also work.

Good luck selling your house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the previous comments are good regarding plastic containers. I would also avoid putting them on the bottom, directly on the floor of the storage unit (flooding, dew, etc). Instead, at least put them on top of pallets.
Good luck with the move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had dozens of games in a storage space in California for years now. Am just now getting them shipped to me. Everything's been in great shape so far.

That said, if humidity is an issue, put them in plastic totes. And whatever you do, remember that things will shift in storage. Boxes will weaken, and what you thought was a good solid set up will lean and potentially tumble. Keep your games out of range of those tumbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Lantau Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that hard to find a climate controlled unit if you ask around at the storage places. The one I use has 1 building out of its 20 or so total buildings that's climate controlled (which is important in the upper Midwest with the extremes of summer and winter). The premium to pay for a climate controlled unit is not that much, if you need the peace of mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
Make sure the storage facility has a working sprinkler system. There was a recent story in NZ about such a facility that didn't and things ended badly. I'm sure others with more experience will have more insight.
The storage facility that caught fire was a Kiwi Self Storage in Wellington. My entire collection has been in a Kiwi Self storage facility for 2.5 years (thankfully in Auckland). I would have been rather upset if it had been my facility that caught fire. For what it's worth all my games are stored in plastic bins with a sealable lid. I get them out whenever I need one but one day I'm hoping to have them back on a shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The plastic containers from the Warehouse (big white ones with wheels on the base?) or other ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great advice. One more possible precaution, for any of the walls that have open air on the other side, leave at least a little space should condensation be a worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kohne
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stored books like in such a thing before, and I learned a lesson about dessicant - don't let the dessicant touch the contents of the box! Turns out that the dessicant will transfer moisture TO cardboard/paper if it's sitting right on top of it. Keep some plastic between the dessicant and the games and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.